Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29913 10/07/04 12:49 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The Gambles are planning to subdivide the acreage around the Big Bay lighthouse and once some of the lots are sold, they plan to sell the lighthouse, according to this story .

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29914 10/07/04 01:44 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
Oh my goodness!

The Gamble's didn't seem very happy when we visited Big Bay in August, but if they were unhappy, why not sell to someone who would appreciate the lighthouse? Subdividing the property and building condos? What a way to ruin a nice retreat!

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29915 10/07/04 02:28 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Not just ruin, but destroy and desecrate. What a horrible shame. And just to make a bundle of money? There are some things more important in this world. Is there nothing sacred? Once gone, the retreat can never be replaced.

Bob

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29916 10/07/04 03:54 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Oh oh oh. Oh MY. I've never stayed at Big Bay, but having visited there a couple times, the fact that they would destroy such a beautiful piece of property with CONDOS is sealing the fate of Big Bay. Here is what happens when condos are built in front of a lighthouse:

Poor Eagle River. Now Big Bay...and the fact that the bed and breakfast portion must bring in more than enough income. They are ALWAYS booked. And their rates aren't cheap either...

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29917 10/07/04 04:12 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A point of clarification regarding 'condos'. A newspaper story about the situation says that the properties will be individual family homes and that the land owners will own the common areas as a 'condo' would. Not that they will be putting up a bunch of multiple-family housing.

Not that it matters much. I've never been there and it looks like I'll never see it in this original condition as my best opportunity will be following the Reunion.

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29918 10/07/04 11:00 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
That is a shame. It's sad to think others won't have the opportunity to enjoy the property the way it is today. We enjoyed our stay there a few years ago. However, it started out bad. We were planning to arrive for the 5 pm orientation. The Gambles asked that guests arrive between 4 - 6 pm and to respect their time. Well, we didn't know about the time change, and the time zone wasn't mentioned in the e-mails that they sent me. Plus, they didn't mention the detour that delayed us another 15 minutes. Jeff didn't seem too happy when we got there at 6:05 pm. In the morning, Linda was very friendly at breakfast. Jeff joined us after she encouraged him to, and he warmed up. I enjoyed getting up to watch the sunrise from the tower with another couple. We haven't had time to go back since then.

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29919 10/07/04 11:13 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
This does not sound like how this property should be treated. It has been around for years without condos; why now? These sound like people who were in it for the money, and could care less about the history.

Perhaps we should band together and buy one of the lots, and then insist on its being left undeveloped.

I found this on the Big Bay website...how???...

Quote:
John Gale, Jeff Gamble and Linda Gamble are the keepers of the Big Bay Point Lighthouse. Like many guests, they fell in love with the site and became frequent visitors. In 1992 they took up residence.

All three are former residents of the Chicago area and avid preservationists . they were actively involved in the restoration of the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio in Oak Park, Illinois.
mad mad mad

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29920 10/08/04 12:35 PM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
What the thoughts and powers of "BIG" money do to a person.
Everything they stood for in the past no longer applies.
It was such a beautiful area!

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29921 10/08/04 07:51 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I have drafted a note to the "Lighthouse Three" (as they are officially called). I thought I might share it with you.

Quote:

Dear Jeff, Linda and John,

I am a 14-year-old lighthouse fan who has always been intrigued by that “perfect lighthouse”—the one with the perfect setting, the perfect tower and keeper’s house, the perfect everything. Over the years, I have seen many photographs of the Big Bay Point Lighthouse and surrounding area, and have been quite intrigued.
During my five years of being a “lighthouse person”, I have seen 125 lighthouses. I have found some “perfect” lights—Big Bay Point and Tibbet’s Point on Lake Ontario; Castle Hill and Beavertail in Rhode Island; Stonington in Connecticut; Currituck Beach in North Carolina—the list could go on and on. But I always seek more.
I have always thought that Big Bay Point would be an addition to the list. The way the lighthouse is perched on the cliff, that mammoth keepers dwelling and tower, and the forty beautiful wooded acres. However, I have not yet gotten the chance to get to your light. One day, I will, but it looks like it will not be able to have a coveted spot on the “Perfect List.”
When I first read of your plans to build houses on the property through a lighthouse message board I belong to, I was disgusted. I had the same sick feeling in my gut that I have had too many times before with other lighthouses. The feeling that history is being lost, and can never be reclaimed.
From curiosity, I went to the Big Bay Point Lighthouse website. Clicking on “The Keepers”, I read that the three of you are avid preservationists and were active in the restoration of the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio in Oak Park. So I think you should know a thing or two about a property being most valuable in its original form.
Subdividing the beautiful lighthouse property for private homes is not the way to treat this historic ground. Many of my fellow lighthouse friends feel the same way. Some of them have visited the lighthouse, stayed in it overnight, and been awed by the beauty of the grounds. Unfortunately, this cannot be felt with twelve houses, however “natural” looking, in the way.
I conclude this letter with these words: Big Bay Point is a special place. Please, keep it that way for future generations. Keep the light shining for preservation.
As I said, it's just a draft, I still have to work on it and edit it.

I encourage all of you to write letters, too. Perhaps if we flood the mailbox at Big Bay with opposition, we can have a voice.

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29922 10/08/04 08:15 PM
Too Many Stairs Offline
If I had some extra cash, I'd buy it smile I'd love to own a light, open a B&B there, cater towards tourists and wackos smile

Chesapeake Bay Lighthouse Photographer
Save The Bay
-Aaron
Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29923 10/08/04 08:58 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

Great letter. Please keep us posted as to any response you receive and kindly show us the final edited version. Thanks.

Bob

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29924 10/08/04 09:16 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
A great letter, Greg. I'm proud of you.

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29925 10/09/04 04:00 AM
K
keeperpam2 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
K
Greg,
A terrific draft!

You said what we all are thinking, and yes, it would be great if we all would write to them with our personal messages of dissatisfaction.

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29926 10/09/04 01:03 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Here's an interesting paragraph from the website See The Light about Big Bay-

http://www.terrypepper.com/lights/superior/bigbay/bigbay.htm

"John Gale, Linda and Jeff Gamble had been guests at the Bed and Breakfast and fell in love with the lighthouse and the tiny hamlet of Big Bay on their first visit. On a return visit in 1991, they learned that the lighthouse was for sale and that one very interested party wanted to build Condominiums on the property. Not wanting to see that happen, they decided to make an offer on part of the acreage and the lighthouse. Much to their surprise the offer was excepted! When final papers were signed, Linda moved to Big Bay to run the Bed and Breakfast, while her husband Jeff, and their partner, John, remained at their jobs in Chicago.

In July of 1994 Jeff joined Linda and they continue to run the Bed-and-Breakfast. As of today John is still in Chicago."

I guess they had a real change of heart at some point.

Dennis

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29927 10/09/04 04:54 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks for that info, Dennis. I am adding that to my letter. Any ammo I can get helps!

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29928 10/11/04 11:44 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I wanted to post this as I had this very thought about this situation but had no info to back it up- credible or not.

It was reported on lighthousing.net that there have been stories that there are financial and personal problems with the partnership that owns Big Bay.It is very possible that this leaves the individuals with no recourse but to sell what they can to satisfy their debts- not simply to reap large profits.

I hope this is the case- but at the same time am sorry if it is. Apparently these individuals tried to do the right thing and at least manged to stave off progress for 13 years or so.

It's possible that we are sorely misjudging their actions. They may have tried to find someone else with big pockets who could save the area but failed. It's something we should consider - especially given their track record.

Dennis

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29929 10/12/04 01:35 AM
Grover Offline
Dennis,

From people I know who vcation there twice a year almost every year ...

They say this was not news to them, that "discussions" have been going on near two years now.

I would agree that there may not be any nefarious purpose here. I don't know that the core values of people who purchased the light to save it from development could now reverse themselves and do the very same thing.

Barry

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29930 08/24/05 10:11 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hold on there, folks.... Maybe Not.

Read the latest in the Mining Urinal (Da Yooper name for da Mining Journal.)

Re: Big Bay Property being subdivided... #29931 08/25/05 12:51 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hip, hip, horray!!!

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,425 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users