Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Point Lookout MD Open House #29853 09/04/01 08:16 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Point Lookout Lighthouse in Maryland will have an open house on Saturday, November 3 from noon until 4 PM.

This lighthouse is only rarely open. If you are in the area, it might be worth a trip.

For informaiton, phone 301-872-5688. This is the number for the State Park. The woman who answered said I might want to arrive the night before to wait in line.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 09-04-2001).]

Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29854 09/04/01 09:00 PM
Larry Offline
Thanks John...I just wrote myself a huge note in red ink and I'll post it on the fridge for my wife to see. I'm going to try to be there, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to drag my 12 year old daughter along...she saw Point Lookout on the Haunted Lighthouses show on TLC and swore she'd never go there!

While we're down there we can do Drum Point, Piney Point and Cove Point, too. And maybe go see the cupola and lantern from Cedar Point at the Patuxant Naval Base.

(My mother used to tell me I shouldn't "point" so much, but it's hard not to.....)

Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29855 09/04/01 09:03 PM
Larry Offline
Oh, here's a website for Point Lookout State Park:
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/pointlookout.html

Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29856 09/04/01 09:21 PM
Shirin Offline
Thanks for the tip John. I just might have to plan on a trip home to MD that weekend.
I went on a Southern Maryland lighthouse trip with my best friend last year. Yes, I drag the poor girl all over Maryland, Delaware and Virginia everytime I'm home to see lighthouses. Funny, she never seems to complain. Gotta love her right?
Larry, if you get a chance to go in the museum at the Naval Base make sure to ask one of the guides to point out the replica of the Cedar Point Lighthouse made by a local artist. I was told that the guy created the piece from memory. I think the guy did a great job and the piece gives you a wonderful idea of what the light looked like before it was finally torn down not too long ago.
Also, if you count somewhat long distance views as part of an acceptable view of a light, there are some back roads down in St. Mary's County where you can get a distant view of the Point No Point light. I can't think of the road off the top of my head but I can go back to my lighthouse journal from last summer to help you out.
And make sure to plan in enough time to enjoy the maritime museum at Drum Point. They've got a nice collection not to mention a gift shop that did me in. My friend Shannon had to literaly drag me out of there before I cleaned my wallet out.

shirin

Shirin
Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29857 09/04/01 10:42 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Shirin,

FWIW, from the road following the bay thru the State Park on your way to Point Lookout, you can see either Solomons Lump or Point No Point wayyyyyy off in the distance, "if you count somewhat long distance views as part of an acceptable view of a light".

Dave

Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29858 09/04/01 11:08 PM
Shirin Offline
As far as my count goes I would count it. Of course the pictures don't look so hot in the scrapbook but usually there is some long story I have to tell about why I let it count. But, I've done that in very few occasions and I have gone back to get closer views later.
For instance, I don't know of too many people who would take the 2+ mile hike out in the dunes to the Race Point Light in December. I opted to go back this spring after dealing with the far off shots.

shirin

Shirin
Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29859 09/04/01 11:14 PM
Larry Offline
I personally count the long distance view, because we're not really "boat people", so we have to settle for what we can get.

So, if you can find the directions to see those way off lights in the bay, I'm game. I take take my family on all sorts of wild goose chases (the goose usually wins), so what's one more.

I even called Aberdeen Proving Ground the other day to see if I could come on base and hopefully see and photograph Poole's Island from a distance. I was transferred to the MPs and they told me that there were people that wouldn't be too happy to see a camera in that area of the base...they must have thought I was the spy who calls ahead (and gives my name)!

Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29860 09/04/01 11:22 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Larry,

The Cedar Point Cuppola is temporarily off display at he Pax River Air Museum. THe museum had to move because the old building they were in was scheduled to be knocked down. They moved into a temporary facility, but didn't have the space for all of their displays. The Cuppola is one of the things that went into storage. They are hoping to build a new building with more space.

For more info: http://www.paxmuseum.com

Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29861 09/04/01 11:48 PM
Larry Offline
Poop. I'll scratch that off of the list.

Thanks Bryan.

Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29862 09/05/01 02:02 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
However, Larry, if you will go to the Chesapeake Chapter of the US Lighthouse Society's web page , you can find info on every light in the bay area. There are pictures and some history, and for many of them there are driving instructions and sometimes even links to maps. This is a great web site. If you are not a chapter member, you should be! Great newsletter and you can also sign up for email updates.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 09-05-2001).]

Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29863 09/05/01 10:01 AM
Shirin Offline
Larry, I will look into my directions for the far off view of the Point No Point Lighthouse tonight after work.

Also, I've been told that the cuppola of the Cedar Point Light is moving to the Calvert Marine Museum. Not sure on when it would be available for viewing though.

And, yes like Dave mentioned if you are not already a member you should check out the Chesapeake group. Maybe then I could get some help writing histories for our lighthouse history project.

shirin

Shirin
Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29864 10/30/01 02:38 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
All,

Does anybody have the latest word on the open house this weekend?

I was just wondering if there was any recent updates as the open house is later this week. Was thinking about taking a trip with my wife down the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay for a day and visit the light.

Anybody else going or have any comments?

Christopher

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Point Lookout MD Open House #29865 10/30/01 03:03 PM
Larry Offline
We thought about going for the weekend, but if we need to get there "the night before and wait in line", how bad are any pictures going to be? We went to the East Point, NJ open house and had to take all of our pictures from far away, as to not get TOO many people in the shot. I know Point Lookout is only open one day a year, but it seems a shame to get lousey pictures when it so far away. You have to decide if you want good pictures or to tour the house. Personally, I'd like to do both, but want the pictures more right now.

Not only that, based on Calvert Marine Museum's website, Cove Point isn't open after September.

We'll probably plan a Spring, 2002 weekend in southern Maryland, and hit all of the "Points" and get good photos. Then we'll go back another time for the open house.

To anyone going, be sure to report back.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,305 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users