Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29791 10/08/02 12:12 AM
mombo Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
(Note: Due to the length of this post and the number of photos I am going to just provide a link to the pictures. Do go here to see them as you read the story.)

http://members6.clubphoto.com/susan529192/946395/owner-7cb8.phtml

Last Saturday morning I set out around 9:30am for the re-lighting ceremony of the Isle La Motte Lighthouse located on, well Isle La Motte, Vermont.

Deciding to take the direct route for a change I took the NYS Thruway east with the intention of exiting at the Fonda exit and cutting over to Rt 87 via a couple of smaller roads. Well I got a bit messed up with a detour and probably wasted an amount of time equal to that I had hoped to save. Nonetheless I finally made my way to Saratoga Springs (Health, History, Horses) - hey, that’s what the “Welcome To” sign says! After
encountering a group of bikers and another of anti-war demonstrators in this lovely town I began the trek north on 87.

Following Friday night’s high winds from Lili Saturday was quite cloudy. As I traveled along I drove though areas of clouds followed by areas of sunshine. The closer I got I wondered, which will it be? Well as it turned out it was the clouds. frown But at least it wasn’t raining, the wind had died down and it was actually quite warm.

With a few quick stops I arrived at the Anchorage Hotel in Rouses Point, NY shortly after 3pm. The Ritz it wasn’t but the room was clean and comfy and the view across the water was of the Windmill Point Lighthouse! smile As I wanted to arrive early I left the hotel for Isle La Motte around 4:20pm.

For those not familiar with the area Rouses Point is 1 mile from the Canadian border way up in the most Northeast corner of the state. There is a bridge that connects the NY mainland with the Alburg Peninsula which comes down from Canada. If you remain on this road, which is Rt. 2, it will take you from Alburg to the Hero Islands by crossing another bridge and yet another bridge takes you off the islands over to mainland Vermont. To reach Isle La Motte you travel south on Alburg and take a different bridge onto that island. This island is 7 miles long and 3 miles across. It was the site of one of the earliest settlements in our country, 1600 something. Approximately 700 people call this island home year-round.

The first light on the island was a light hung on a pine tree dating to 1829. For a time the light was displayed in a window on the third floor of a stone house, a house which still stands. Then an acre of land was sold to the government in 1857 and a stone pyramid was erected to hold the light. Finally in 1880 a small cast iron lighthouse was erected on the property. In 1933 the light was removed from the lighthouse and placed on top of a skeletal tower. The Clark family purchased the lighthouse in 1949 and subsequently additional property so that they now own the entire northwest corner of the island, some 10 acres. They have lovingly cared for the lighthouse and buildings, all of which are
original to the lightstation. Some time ago the Coast Guard decided that something would have to be done, as the 1930’s skeletal towers which replaced most of Lake Champlain’s lighthouses were in poor condition. In the case of the Windmill Point Lighthouse in Alburg, also owned by the Clark family, and the Isle La Motte Lighthouse the Coast Guard saw no reason why the lights should not be returned to the towers, as
they were in such fine shape. Thus the Windmill Point Lighthouse was re-lit on August 7th of this year and tonight was to be the night for Isle La Motte!

The pedestal was still in place at Windmill Point but not at Isle La Motte. Rob Clark, son of Lockwood (Lucky) Clark made a new pedestal modeled after that at Windmill Point. He is a machinist by trade, having a shop in the Clark home in Champlain, NY. It took him 9 months to complete and by the looks of it, it will outlast the lighthouse!

Arriving at the lighthouse early I snagged a few extra programs, took some photos and had time to chat with Rob. Lucky was unavailable as he was up in the lantern room entertaining any and all who wished to climb up. There is one ladder which brings you to a landing area which houses a cot, an easy chair and a lamp. A second ladder takes you into the lantern room.

As time passed more and more people arrived. By the time the ceremony began at 5:30 there were over 200, close to 300 people. Some were old, many were children. Most had long associations with the family, the area or both. Some were descendants of that original lightkeeper. Some traveled from as far away as N. Carolina.
Channel 3 out of Burlington again covered the event.

As folks were arriving, socializing and climbing the tower, music was provided by a group of Islanders in the form of patriotic songs.

Shortly after 5:30 Art Cohn, Director of the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, opened the program.

Subbing for Father Boucher of St. Anne’s Shrine located just down the road from the lighthouse who was unable to attend, was Rev. Deborah Laporte of the Island’s Methodist Church, who gave the Invocation.

The Coast Guard was represented by 1st Class Bosin’s Mate Kevin Erwin out of Burlington. (I think I got that right? He wasn’t in the program, maybe they were trying for someone higher?)

History of the lightstation was provided by Bob MeEwen of the Isle La Motte Historical Society.

Then it was time for Lucky to speak.

While son Rob “dressed” for the occasion, Lucky stated, “You’ll just have to take me the
way I am.” smile

Then it was Rob’s turn.

A number of people were then recognized, including the descendants of Wilber Hill, the
first lightkeeper at Isle La Motte, who were present. A commemorative plaque was presented to the Clark family by Bob McEwen. Official Coast Guard caps were presented to Lucky and Rob along with the old light from the skeletal tower. Lucky took off his old brown cap and threw it onto the ground to don the new cap, as the crowd
erupted in laughter. And Rob was able to replace his John Deer cap with one more suitable for the occasion!

Finally the moment had come! Following a countdown by those assembled, at 6:18pm the light in the lighthouse was lit by a group of Island school children led by Lois Cameron, the great-granddaughter of Wilbur Hill.

Art Cohn made a few closing remarks. Rev. Laport gave the Benediction and the musicians led the group in the singing of several verses of “This Little Light of Mine, I’m Gonna Let it Shine”. A woman standing next to me sang the National Anthem, all by herself. Lucky let loose with the fog bell and last but not least a cannon was fired! These Clarks really know how to throw a re-lighting!

As those who’d already climbed the tower began departing, the other 100+ took their turn. The children who were too small to climb got carried up. The TV guy knocked on the door of the keeper’s house so that he could also interview Lucky’s sister who lives there and chose to stay out of the limelight.

Eventually as most had departed I got my turn to go up for an inspection of the new light and pedestal. This light is the same as the one previously installed at Windmill Point, 1.15 amps, 300mm compared with the 250mm that were previously in the skeletal towers.

Rob stated that “the old ones were easier to clean as they had a flat surface, while the new ones are ribbed.” He also said “the old lights were better as the base was genuine aluminum while the new ones were genuine plastic”! smile Well he can clean the old one whenever he wants as it belongs to him now as do the skeletal towers! A small solar panel powers the battery that powers the light. Someone asked Rob, “What happens if the light goes out? Do you call the Coast Guard?” Rob replied, “ Well I imagine I’ll try to fix it first.” smile I then asked Rob when he thought the three NY lights on the lake would be re-lit. He said he didn’t think that would happen until next summer. When I brought up the question of what work needed to be done on those lights he said with a grin, “I’m hoping they’ll hire me to do it.” wink

Also present in the lantern room with me was George Clifford, author of the book on the Lake Champlain Lighthouses, so I got to meet him too. George told Rob that he should turn some new finials for the lantern rail, lighthouses like the ones at Nobska and Nubble. Lucky had already stated that he was going to rest for the next six months!

As I was leaving Rob presented me with a special momento of the re-lighting. It seems as though these pins were made for the Clarks by the folks from Avery Point Lighthouse and as there were a limited number I felt truly honored to have received one.

I simply cannot tell you how wonderful it felt to have been a part of this occasion. The Clarks are not “high fallutin” people. They are ordinary folks who take extraordinary pride in their accomplishments and enjoy sharing with others. They are true lightkeepers.

By now I was plenty hungry so when I returned to Rouses Point there was only one place left open to eat. Well, I think there’s only two period. The “Ole Tymes Cafe” was sure a busy spot, Saturday being Italian night as well as what appeared to be “ladies night out”. I must have stood out like a sore thumb as I think I was the only one there who didn’t order spaghetti. When I was finished I asked the waitress if it was mandatory to eat pie as all the ladies seemed to finish off their meal with a piece of home-made pie. I guess she thought I wanted some as she began reeling off the choices, saying, “the apple’s really good”. smile

Then I decided it would be nice if I could try to find a spot on the NY side where I could see the light from the lighthouse. Passing the hotel and the light of Windmill Point I continued south. Dumb luck made me turn down a very dark road that seemed to go on forever. I came across a family out walking with their very large dog. As I approached the fool dog laid down on his back right in the middle of the road. Putting down my window I asked the dog’s master if I was in the right place to see the lighthouse. He said,“Sure, just pull over down by that white house. We’ll be right there.” He took me out to
his front yard and sure enough there was the Isle La Motte Lighthouse, flashing brightly. As he was telling me how the light wasn’t really in the lighthouse, I was happy to inform him that he was wrong. I thanked him for his courtesy and was walking back to the car when I heard him yelling to the neighbors, “The light’s back in the lighthouse, the light’s back in the lighthouse!” smile

Returning to the motel I decided that no re-lighting would be complete without a celebratory beverage, or two, as wonder of wonders the hotel lounge was still open! It was quite a day and I owe sincere thanks to Bob S for having made it possible for me to have been a part of it.

Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29792 10/08/02 12:56 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Oh, Man! A pin!!! How do I get one of those??? LOL.

Another excellent report from our Lighthouse Ambassador and photographer par excellance.

Felt like I was there with you. I think this thread describes your first encounter with the Clarks:
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000208.html

Was anyone there from LH Digest? Better get in touch with Tim.

What's your next adventure, Sue?

Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29793 10/08/02 02:16 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Great story and pictures, Sue. Thanks for taking us along. That is a neat pin Lucky gave you. Better hang onto it when you are around this group!

Dave

Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29794 10/08/02 08:35 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Great pics and great story, Sue!!!

That kind of "stuff" is what makes the CF such a great place to visit.

smile Bob smile

Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29795 10/08/02 11:20 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It has already been said, but worth repeating. I felt like I was there. Sue, great story and great pictures. Thanks for being there and sharing your thoughts and pictures with us.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29796 10/08/02 11:28 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Great job as usual, Sue, thanks for sharing...

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29797 10/08/02 01:18 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great job, Sue! Thanks for taking us along! When is your book on lighthouse adventures coming out? wink wink wink

Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29798 10/09/02 10:39 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the report Sue. I'm glad you were our eyes and ears on these exciting relightings. You know why I'm especially pleased. I'll have to send the guys a note of Congratulations. They must be 'beaming'?
I'm definitely going to have to get by there soon.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29799 10/09/02 04:55 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
YOur story is still on this thread Sue. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you ask "Whre did my story go?" If you need it, I'll copy it and email it to you.

Bert confused

Bert

Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29800 10/09/02 11:15 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Your welcome! I checked it a few minutes after you posted and didn't find any problems. I wonder if it may have been at your end. As long as its fine now then I wouldn't worry. Glad that everything turned out fine.

Bert laugh

Bert

Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29801 10/12/02 11:00 PM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
Great story and photos Sue! You do have a knack of making your readers feel there with you -

Thanks!
Barb

Barb
Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29802 10/13/02 04:27 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Barb

Remove the [/font] ALONG WITH THE BRACKET BEFORE AND AFTER from the end of your signature and it should work fine.

Bert smile

Bert

Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29803 10/14/02 11:21 PM
B
Barb Kepple Offline
B
Thanks Bert!

Barb

Barb
Re: Isle La Motte - Narrative and photos #29804 10/23/02 02:26 PM
navyelt Offline
Mombo,
Great story and pictures! You sure do a fine job of giving the play-by-play report!

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,363 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users