Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why is it called a "crib"? #29696 05/06/05 12:05 PM
catzb1 Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
I was looking at the lighthouse friends website at the lighthouses from Illinois. They are odd circular shapes and are referred to as cribs (ie..68th Street Crib, 4 Mile Crib, William E. Deever Crib.) Anybody know why they are cribs? Any of the above would make an interesting LE or CF lighthouse, IMHO.

Cathy

Re: Why is it called a "crib"? #29697 05/06/05 01:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I believe these are all water intake locations for the city of Chicago.

On the floor of the lake below those locations is the actual intake pipe which then runs under the lake bed to the city's water intake plant.

When building the water systems, typically what is done is they start with a tunnel on land leading out to the under-lake location and then tunnel up to the lake bottom.

Of course, if they punch a hole in the bottom of the lake while tunnelling up, the tunnel would be flooded while it is under contruction. So they must punch through into dry land.

How? By pounding steel planking in a circular pattern around the spot where the tunnel is to come through the lake bottom. Then pumping the water our of this crib-like enclosure till the lake bottom is dry. This structure is also known as a 'coffer-dam'.

Each of the lights are on top of the covered cribs in these Illinois lights. I'd say the purpose of these lights is, of course, to warn shipping away from the structure rather than guide them into the Chicago docks or harbor.

The city of Detroit built a water intake tunnel in lower Lake Huron near Port Huron in 1971 using this system. While under contruction, an explosion happened in the tunnel under the lake and 21 were killed. I believe they ran into a pocket of methane gas while tunnelling.

Here is the story of this tunnel and the explosion from the Detroit News Archives. There is a good diagram of the construction project in the story.

Re: Why is it called a "crib"? #29698 05/06/05 01:40 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
There is also a crib light off of Buffalo NY.

When there is no need for a bottom intake pipe, cribs of wood were built, floated out into the water, filled with rocks and sunk. Concrete is then poured over the top to create a foundation for the lighthouse.

White Shoal MI is an example of a lighthouse built in this way.

More information on Cribs

Re: Why is it called a "crib"? #29699 05/06/05 03:05 PM
catzb1 Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Thanks John...as usual you are a fountain of information! I appreciate the explanation, I've never seen anything like these cribs. I learned something new today...always a good thing.

Cathy smile

Re: Why is it called a "crib"? #29700 05/07/05 12:04 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
From the CG Historian\'s page :

Quote:
CRIB LIGHTHOUSES

Examples: Spectacle Reef, Poe Reef, White Shoal.

Beginning in the 1870s crib foundation construction was used extensively on the Great Lakes. Wooden cribs were constructed ashore, towed to the site, and then filled with stone. Once the crib had settled to the bottom, it was capped with concrete or some other masonry. Frequently once the crib had settled it was necessary to level the structure by adding weight to one side or another.

From an engineering view point, the two most significant crib lighthouses in the Great Lakes are Spectacle Reef and Standard Rocks. The first was completed in 1874 and the second eight years later. Spectacle Reef is 10 miles from the nearest land and Standard Rocks is 23. Each required a number of years to complete.

White Shoal lighthouse, guarding the western entrance of the Straits of Mackinac, is also crib type. Its foundation is a timber crib 72 feet square, supporting a reinforced concrete pier which extends 20 feet above the lake level. The 105 foot tower, completed in 1910, is steel, backed with brick, and faced with terra cotta.

Re: Why is it called a "crib"? #29701 05/07/05 02:35 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks, John and Dave. It is always great to learn something new. I always wondered what "crib" meant as well.
Judy

Re: Why is it called a "crib"? #29702 05/07/05 05:19 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Cathy,

Thanks for asking the question about "cribs." Like Judy, I always wondered what that meant. But in my case, I was reluctant to ask -- figuring the everyone knew except me.

bobo

Re: Why is it called a "crib"? #29703 05/07/05 07:47 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I never knew exactly how they worked. If I saw a lighthouse and saw that its name was "crib", then I could kind of see a similarity between it and other crib lights. But I'm also crazy.

I learned something today! laugh

Re: Why is it called a "crib"? #29704 05/07/05 10:50 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Good comment Greg.

Quote:
I learned something today!
But many years ago my Dad told me that if I don't learn something new every day, I'm already six feet under. Think about it.

bobo

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,052 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users