Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cape Hatteras #29674 10/16/98 08:54 PM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I am a member of the Outer Banks Society and I received the following e-mail today from Cheryl Roberts and I would like to share it with you.

The Outer Banks Lighthouse Society just received a news release; the following is an excerpt:

CONGRESS APPROVES FUNDS TO MOVE THE CAPE HATTERAS LIGHTHOUSE U.S. Senator Faircloth announced today that Congress had approved President Clinton's request for $9.8 million to move the erosion-threatened Cape Hatteras Lighthouse one-half mile inland. The provision was included in the Fiscal Year 1999 Omnibus Spending Bill which Congress is expected to pass on Tuesday, October 20, 1998.
"President Clinton's budget included the money this year. Governor Hunt supports the move. Congress agreed with President Clinton and Governor Hunt that the move is the only long-term, environmentally sound way to save
the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse," said Senator Faircloth.
"With the passage of this bill, this irreplaceable symbol of North Carolina will be preserved for future generations to enjoy," Senator Faircloth stated.

End of excerpt.
The Outer Banks Lighthouse Society supports the NPS plan to relocate the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and congratulates Senator Faircloth for his success in securing the funding.

Yippee!! (that's from me)
Paul L Brady

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Cape Hatteras #29675 10/19/98 02:43 PM
P
Polly Offline
P
Thanks for sharing the good news Paul. This shows there is an appreciation for the historic value (and beauty) of lighthouses.

We may have to fight for it but it is there!

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users