Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29594 06/09/98 01:04 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Alright, so they are not "real" lighthouses, but they are going to be close.

Cashing in on the popularity of lighthouses, and the fact that Michigan has more lighthouses than any other state (116), 13 lighthouses, one at each Michigan Welcome Center, will be built.

These lighthouses will be 52 feet tall and constructed of metal. The first one will be built in Clare and dedicated on June 19th. Centers to follow will be Monroe, New Buffalo, and this fall in Dundee, Coldwater, and St. Ignace.

It will be very interesting to see the design and style of these "lighthouses".

Re: Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29595 07/04/98 08:40 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
When we were on our Michigan lighthouse hopping adventure a few weeks ago, I saw a news briefing on TV from Mackinaw City of the dedication of the first light with the Governor in attendance. It appeared to be a very well constructed and large light. I wish I would have had a chance to visit it on our way home. I think it was a great idea. The timing of the dedication was very apropos to the issue below.

Also while we were in Mackinaw City, the National Lighthouse Museum Selection Committee were in town to review Mackinaw City for a possible choice of locations. For those of you who do not know the story, There will be a National Lighthouse Museum built somewhere in the US eventually. They are presently in the process of choosing a city to build it in. This will be a must for lighthouse lovers to visit upon it's completetion.

If a "Great Lakes" city is chosen to build it at, ie: Mackinaw City, etc, it would be a great possible choice for Harbour Lights 4th reunion location in 2002 or so, maybe even during it's grand opening. What a great way of showing off the national interest in the museum than to have 600-1000 HL fanatics from all over the country waiting at the front door while the ribbon is being cut!

-RodW

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]

Re: Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29596 07/04/98 10:24 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
In Rosemont at the Saturday seminar, someone asked Bill his opinion about the 'National Lighthouse Museum'. He's not much in favor of it, perhaps surprisingly.

He feels that the local support that has developed around the preservation of local lighthouses and related museums may be diminished by a national museum. And that perhaps the federal goverment might 'raid' the local museums for content. Bill says that it's local people acting to save something locally that really needs to be saved.

He indicated that Michigan was going to build it's own lighthouse museum, but I wasn't too clear on that. Anyone else?

Re: Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29597 07/04/98 12:15 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Yes, Michigan is set to build a lighthouse museum in Mackinaw City wheather or not it is chosen as the site of the National Lighthouse Museum.

I had the newspaper article with the details, but the clutter on my desk seems to have hampered my ability to find it. I will keep looking and post more info as it becomes available

Re: Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29598 07/04/98 01:43 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
What a great way of showing off the national interest in the museum than to have 600-1000 HL fanatics from all over the country waiting at the front door while the ribbon is being cut!

I can see it now...

Imagine boatloads of gawky Mackinaw Island touristas with fudge be-drizzled children in tow, 3 high-school bands all playing without sheet music, state and national lighthouse bureaucrats vying for position in the ribbon cutting picture, busloads of protesters from Maine, along with several hundred accordian playing polka dancing Yoopers. All set against the spectacular backdrop of the giant Mighty Mac bridge. Throw in a thousand reunion attending HL fanatics chanting 'keep the flame' who spontaneously combust when someone spots Bill Younger giving out 1 of only 350 commmerative Mackinaw City thumbnails to a small child, and you've got what the tightly wrapped Michigan State Patrol might call 'a situation'.

No doubt we would raise national lighthouse consciousness to the 1st order. ;->

Rgds,
__
/im [sold out in 40 minutes on Feb 19, 2001]

Re: Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29599 07/04/98 02:21 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
ROFLOL, Tim.

Lets not forget the "seahorse hunt", where Commander Bill hides a dozen little plastic seahorses on the lawn with HL special gifts inside. The fog horn is sounded, and the thousand HL fanatics suddenly turn into a wild mob, knocking each other down for one of the extremely limited and elusive goodies.

-RodW

Re: Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29600 07/04/98 07:27 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Lets not forget the "seahorse hunt", where Commander Bill hides a dozen little plastic seahorses on the lawn...

And what would Rod be looking for? Not what's inside the little plastic seahorses - no he'd want to see if there were any variations among those seahorses!

["Hey Look - I think THIS one was made from a left-handed mold!"]

Re: Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29601 07/05/98 08:39 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Quote:
...And what would Rod be looking for? Not what's inside the little plastic seahorses - no he'd want to see if there were any variations among those seahorses! "Hey Look - I think THIS one was made from a left-handed mold!"

Ah...that may be true John, but as the curator of 'The Harbour Lights Museum of Marketing Memorabilia and Goodies Of Obsolete Displays' (aka: HL...mmm GOOD) The rare left handed plastic seahorse container variation will come in quite handy for a very well organized symmetrical placement along side it's right handed brethren on the HL sacred display throne.

-RodW (Boy, do I need a life)

Re: Michigan to build 13 new lighthouses #29602 07/06/98 09:09 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
LOL - Just love the HL mmm GOOD!!! (Just hope Campbell Soups don't think it a copyright infringement.)

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 872 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users