Print Thread
Heceta Head Lighthouse Repairs #29351 12/12/00 11:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I wanted to share a letter I received today about the Heceta Head Lighthouse here in Oregon.

Some time back I had written to both of Oregon's U.S. Senators about the shut down of the fresnel lens due to needed repairs of the turning mechanism. I shared my hopes that this beautiful landmark be provided the necessary funds to restore its beauty and functionality.

Today I received a letter with some official plans.

October 3rd of this year, the U.S. Coastguard announced an appropriation of funds to repair rust and other problems with the apparatus that turns the 2,000 pound glass lens. These repairs are scheduled to begin mid January of next year.

Once the repairs have been completed, an agreement has been reached to give ownership of the light to the Department of Parks and Recreation. With this comes the additional responsibilities of future maintenance and operation.

I am very pleased to share this news, and appreciate the support of everyone who helped with the efforts to reach this resolution.

Merry Christmas!

Ned Fenimore

Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Repairs #29352 12/13/00 12:15 AM
N
Nana Offline
N
Thanks Ned for posting this information. My letters were on the same desks in the state capital that yours were. So glad to hear that this project to restore this light is going to be getting attention soon. I am sure that the keepers at the bed and breakfast are as pleased as we are.

This is one of those unexpected Christmas gifts.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 12-12-2000).]

Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Repairs #29353 12/13/00 01:47 AM
DeDo Offline
Thanks Ned, for the great news about one of our favorite Oregon lighthouses and only one of the two that we got a chance to get inside.

Someday I'd like to get back and stay there at the B&B.

Donna

Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Repairs #29354 12/13/00 02:29 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Sounds like another job for those BMs (Boatswain Mates) to chase running rust! It's what I lived for!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users