cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What would you do? #29283 07/28/99 03:10 PM
Lighthousedude Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings,

I was driving back to work from Old Field today and a thought crossed my mind. I'd be interested in other people's views on this subject.

For whatever reason you became the "keeper" of a lighthouse that you could live in like Old Field or Old Point Loma or Stonnington up in Conneticut.

Would you:

A.) Renovate and modernize the interior and leave the exterior as historically accurate as possible?
or
B.) Would you make every attempt to be historically faithful inside and out?

Part 2......................................

Where would you like to live? (Please limit your answer to 2 lights. I've thought about it and there are few I'd love to take up residence in!)

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 07-28-99).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Seewald (edited 07-28-99).]

Re: What would you do? #29284 07/28/99 03:57 PM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
That is a great topic. I think I would have to choose B. Keeping it as historical as possible leaves everything available for future generations.
It's tough to decide on which 2 lights I would reside in. I know that one would be Montauk Point. I'll have to think of the other one.

John

Wave after wave will flow in the tide and bury the world as it does.
Re: What would you do? #29285 07/28/99 04:05 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
C.) Think twice about doing it

Nobody on the face of this earth would enjoy living in a lighthouse any more than I, but after talking to several people that do live in lighthouses most say they would not do it again. They are constantly bothered and harassed by people that assume that they have the right to invade their privacy.

Bill Younger told me a story that he had encountered with the same reaction, from a very nice little old lady, when he knocked on the door to ask permission to shoot some pictures. He asked her what she would do different if given the chance. She said she would have never purchased it. She said most of the people are nice but some are very rude and get down right nasty. She also stated that even the nice ones act like they are probably the only one's to bother her, on any given day. Bill told me that he realized that he was doing the same thing at that moment and apologized to her.

I would much prefer seeing lighthouse societies, historical societies and state parks purchase and run the lighthouses for everyone to share without invading anyone's privacy.

B & B's are another story since the owners are in the business of serving people it sort of comes with the territory.

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 07-28-99).]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: What would you do? #29286 07/29/99 12:12 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Paul has a very good point. It is easy to sit here and say: Boy, living in a lighthouse sure would be great! I don't think the people would bother me at all.

Do you really believe that strangers walking in your yard, looking in your windows, and knocking on your door to come in your house to look around wouldn't bother you? I think it would me. I don't care for it now when the neighborhood kids ride their bicycles across my lawn.

I agree with Paul. I would have to think very long and hard about living in a lighthouse, especially the more popular ones.

If I did decide to do it though, everything would have to be kept as historically accurate as possible. As for what light it would be, it would have to be one near the water. LOL

-Todd

Re: What would you do? #29287 07/29/99 12:32 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
How about Minot's Ledge? Don't think you'd have too many sightseers!

You could also get a very ferocious dog.

From the recent article in the Boston Globe it appears that most of those lighthouses that are available are pretty remote.

Anywho, I guess that I'd try to keep it historically accurate and try to accomodate visitors according to some sort of published schedule, stating that other times the lighthouse was off limits except from afar.

Paul's opinion that various societies should act as "keepers" is sound. This also gives us the opportunity to "get involved" by joining the organization and maybe help "show off" "our" lighthouse to others, without all the hassle.

MOMBO

Re: What would you do? #29288 07/29/99 01:47 AM
N
Noelle Offline
N
As much as I love lighthouses, I never once thought I would want to live in one. But, I would love to live in view of one. To wake up each morning, look out my window and see one across the water. Far across or nearer, it wouldn't matter, and to go to sleep at night seeing the light flash, and hearing the fog horn on foggy nights. That is what I would really love.
Now for my preference of a lighthouse to see from my house, it would have to be Lubec Channel light or Minot's Ledge. The lights in the water like those two just amaze me.
Lubec because the only time I saw it, the fog was playing hide and seek with it(got some great pictures). Minot's because after all the punishment the sea has given it, it is still there, and as beautiful as ever.

Re: What would you do? #29289 07/29/99 04:56 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
The only reason I would love to live in a lighthouse would be for the view of the water and to hear the waves. I would not care for people knocking on my door at all hours or the rest of the annoyances that would go with it. Portland Head has an apartment which is rented - but you'd be living over a museum, near a gift shop, and a almost on top of a fog horn at a very popular lighthouse. The view would be spectacular, and the rest would drive you nuts. I agree with Paul.

Kathy

Re: What would you do? #29290 07/29/99 09:09 AM
OP Offline
Wow!!

Not the kind of responses I expected on this topic.

Since I tend to always look at the positive side of life I overlooked what a potential problem living in a lighthouse could be. I can be so naive at times. Thanks to all of you for your input.

But, the positive side is taking over again.

As Mombo stated publish a visitation schedule. I would love to share my treasure with people. To me that would part of the experience. I love doing the tours at Fire Island, so I would carry that enthusiasm as I gave tours of my lighthouse.

It's your light and your home, you make the rules.

Al & Kathy I agree with you. Living over a fog horn and gift shop would probably drive me nuts too!!

Keep the Flame!

Re: What would you do? #29291 07/29/99 10:26 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike you need to talk to a couple of places that have rules. There are a lot of people that assume that those rules are for other people and not them. Big Bay, which is a great Bed & Breakfast, has rules on people just stopping to see the lighthouse and grounds. It has gotten so bad with people just walking in the house at all times of the day and night that they have to lock the doors from 6PM to 6AM. The owners said they even have people just walk in their private residence, which is in like the basement of the lighthouse. The main point is that the people that don't pay a bit of attention to the rules cause most private residences (lighthouses) to put up signs to restrict all visiting.

Mombo there isn't such a thing as a remote lighthouse when it comes to people wanting to see and go in them. Most people we meet when we go lighthousing are very nice but there are always seem to stretch the rules or guidelines to the limits and be beyond. The more remote the location probably cuts the numbers down, but you still will have people that think the have the right to do anything at your lighthouse.

Sorry Mike, if this is a negative response, but I think it is a very factual response, I am sorry to say. All of the above aside and in a 'perfect' world, I would love to live in a lighthouse. My wife says that I probably lived in a lighthouse, in a former life, already.

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: What would you do? #29292 07/29/99 11:29 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I like Noelle's idea. I stayed in Jekyll Island, GA a few months back and the view we had from our hotel was of the St. Simons Lighthouse. It was amazing. Looking foward to going back there sometime soon.

John

Re: What would you do? #29293 07/29/99 01:41 PM
OP Offline
I read your reply Paul and I hate to say it but you are absolutely right. There are those in this world you have little or no respect for rules of any kind and that is a sad thing indeed.

It is those individuals who make it difficult for the rest of us who revere and respect our historic beacons.

Well, I can always dream.

Noelles idea sounds real nice!

Re: What would you do? #29294 07/29/99 02:11 PM
LamarB Offline
It's a great topic Mike.

I agree with Paul's practicality, too. Having people in and around my home all the time would drive me NUTS!

However, if I were to live in one I would have to restore it to a time in history that had indoor plumbing and electricity. Maybe the late 20's or early 30's.

Which ones, I don't know. I'll have to think on that.

I think maybe Noelle has the right idea. After the Reunion in Providence, Kim and I drove out on Cape Cod and spent three nights in Provincetown at a motel right on the water. From the deck out the room's back door I could see Highland, Wood's End, Long Point and two or three private harbor lights. I spent hours at night in their presence. With the stars in the night sky and the lights, that's as close to a spiritual experience I've had in a long time.

From time to time Kim tells me she thinks I must've been a keeper in a past life, too. Heck, and I thought I was unique! Breaks my bubble.

------------------
Keepin' the flame
[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 07-29-99).]

Re: What would you do? #29295 07/29/99 10:14 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Hey Mike,

Don't let these skeptics get you down. Anything is possible if you really want it.

The imagination is dieing in this nation. Everyone is looking for a hand out. Respect in many places is non-existant.

But if you live in a lighthouse, it is your castle and your kingdom and those who lack manner or only act in a rude manner can be removed.

But just think of the magic you could weave with young visitors. A real trip into the past.

One of my favorites would be Saugerties. I have only seen pictures and have the LE but what a place to show young people a different way of life. A cherished past that has all but disappeared from the American sceen.

Or watch the sunset from the latern room at Selkirk. Or stand attop the tall tower of Bodie or Fire Island and watch a summer gail decend upon you with all the power of God himself.

Live in a lighthouse? Your're damn right I would. Love every minute of it.

Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Where the Atlantic salt spray had begun to work on my thinking processes.

Moby
Re: What would you do? #29296 07/30/99 08:46 AM
OP Offline
Hey Moby,

Not to offend anyone else in the forum but your response was the one I was looking for.

I was wondering if anyone else out ther had the same "vision" that I had.

Thanks!!

Re: What would you do? #29297 07/30/99 01:47 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Now let's see! First I was Gushy and now I am a skeptic. Boy I must be a well-rounded person.

Mike it really feels great when you get a response that agrees with you totally but I have found I have learned a more about something from people who may not respond in an identical manner. Not only do I receive a different point of view but sometimes information that I had not thought about. It doesn't mean I will change my mind but it might make me educate myself more on the subject, which can sometimes even make me stronger willed on the subject. I have even played the devils advocate on some posts on the forums to get people to think more about an issue, when in truth I may have basically have agreed with them from the beginning. We need to work our brains, since we really don't use them much.

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 07-30-99).]

Re: What would you do? #29298 07/30/99 04:16 PM
OP Offline
I couldn't agree with you more Paul.

Once in a while I find myself being the devils advocate as well (which drives my wife absolutely bonkers since she isn't use to it).

In truth what I heard wasn't what I expected from a group of lighthouse lovers like ourselves.

But I'm glad that people repond honestly to my topic. Honesty is the best policy!!

Don't apologize for a negative response, it's better than no response at all!

Keep the Flame!

Re: What would you do? #29299 07/31/99 10:42 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Mike,

What we want and what is achievable may be two different things. When on this forum, I speak from my deepest convictions and what I hold dear is what I say.

Discouraged? Many times. But I always go for the best I can think about.

If you do not have enthusiasm and give your best shot at what you believe, what are you even alive for?

At my age, I'm very skeptical of my fellowman. This forum is fun because people like you and I really believe in what we say. Is that to hard for skeptics and others to understand. Probably, but until the breath leave this tired old frame, I will do my best to inspire those who have an imagination and hope for the future, to press on.

Any new idea is always shot down by some. No one wants to break new ground for fear of failure.

Lighthouses are an ideal. The keepers were selfless and did not want glory for their heroric deads. I LIKE THAT. NO! I LOVE THAT. And that is why I am attracted to lighthouses and living in lighthouses.

Keep the flame and take care of "The Winking Lady"

Moby
Re: What would you do? #29300 08/03/99 10:13 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I gave it a lot of thought, pros and cons, and I would move to a lighthouse in a heartbeat. If I can imagine living in a lighthouse, then I can imagine having the money to maintain it. I love the smell of the ocean, the sound of seagulls and the waves breaking on the shore. As I sit here typing I'm listening to the "Sounds of Carmel" on the cd player and would love hear the ocean live, in my own Stonington or Portland. So even with the isolation, I think I would like to live in a lighthouse (as long as I could get cable!).

Joanne

Re: What would you do? #29301 08/04/99 07:20 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Joanne,

It not an imagination a wonderful thing to have? It is what puts the human race a step above.

Moby

Moby
Re: What would you do? #29302 08/04/99 10:29 AM
JohnL Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I agree with you Joanne. The sights and sounds of the ocean are very relaxing. Cable is a defintely a must .

John

Re: What would you do? #29303 08/04/99 12:20 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Joanne & John,

What would you two do if all cable went kaput, like a y2k problem might just cause. I mean why all the hoopla if the government doesn't want to create another emergency that only it can remedy?

But seriously, what would you do?

I know what I'd do and I'll discuss it with anyone who has an idea on this subject. Has to do with lighthouses too.

Where the new world began in 1607, and it began right here on my river, excuse me, our river!

Moby
Re: What would you do? #29304 08/04/99 11:26 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Read books by firelight like Abe Lincoln did?
That's what I do when the power goes off, except I use a flashlight!

Mombo

Re: What would you do? #29305 08/04/99 11:41 PM
JoAnn Offline
No cable?Great!I'd read read read even if I had to make candles in the daylight.Noelle I do live over the water with a distant view of Cape Disapointment & a great view of its light from my bed,thats probably why sometimes I fall asleep dreaming of keeping the flame!

Re: What would you do? #29306 08/08/99 11:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Count me in this discussion,

For sure keep the lighthouse and residence as historically correct as possible. No cable-Please! I can only imagine how much grief visitors can bring especially if you have no rules and no set times for buildings to be open. As much as I would relish an opportunity to live in a lighthouse in reality too much of what Paul speaks of would make it difficult, regardless of how much you like people.

My choice of lighthouses would be Heceta Head, OR. I was there this summer and would wish to go back at any chance I had.
Derith

Re: What would you do? #29307 08/09/99 06:46 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Derith,

I have a large picture of Heceta Head in my office behind my LE and I can only imagine what it is like to actually stand there and look out over the Pacific Ocean with a strong surf pounding the rocks below. You are envied.

Moby

Moby
Re: What would you do? #29308 08/09/99 03:53 PM
Art Offline
Heceta Head is a wonderful place!

Moby, I was there this past spring and took this photo. I had it blown up to poster size (20" x 30") and have it framed in my house.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=42289&a=403812&p=11302350&Sequence=1[/img]

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: What would you do? #29309 08/09/99 07:33 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Hey Art,

That building was justly named for you. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Moby

Moby
Re: What would you do? #29310 08/09/99 10:15 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would love to live in a lighthouse! I would be so proud of it that I would welcome anyone to visit (during posted times of course). Keep it historically acurate as possible. Of course there would have to be an adjacent cemetery with an open grave so people would know you're serious about breaking the posted rules.

Re: What would you do? #29311 08/09/99 10:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Moby and Art,
I have not yet decided what photos of Heceta I will have enlarged. I think it was Lamar who spoke of having a spiritual high, well, I had one in the evening and one early the next morning at Heceta Head. Moby, I wish you could see it also. The surrounding area is one of God's best masterpieces here on this earth.

Thanks Art for sharing your photo. I guess I can get homesick for a place other than home, right?
Derith

Re: What would you do? #29312 08/09/99 11:05 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
My gosh I just had a fright. I was reading the responses to my comment about needing cable when my pc monitor went black. Nothing, kaput, dead. I thought, what if I couldn't have my computer. I think that would be worse than no cable. It's close though, no Discovery Channel, A&E or Crocodile Hunter or no computer. It's not a choice I would willingly make.

My screen is working again, Gator the devil dog pulled out the plug.

I don't have anyone else here other than the dogs and cats to make noise so my tv is on all the time. But, if I had the ocean close by, that might be all the sound I'd want to hear.

Joane

Re: What would you do? #29313 08/10/99 07:34 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Joanne,

That ocean sound is what I remember most about my childhood. Calms my fears, sooths my nerves, and will even tell when a large storm is coming. But she is a woman, so do not predict what her next move will be.

Moby

Moby
Re: What would you do? #29314 08/10/99 09:30 AM
OP Offline
I have really enjoyed everyone's responses to this topic. There are those of us out there who see the practical side of life and those of us who dream. That's what life is all about.

Well.......................................

The dreamer in me wins!!!

As soon as I save enough cash I'm going to buy the Old Field Lighthouse (they have cable TV).

The view is great!! I'll be able to see Middleground Light and Eatons Neck on clear days. Watch a Nor'Easter coming in in the fall. Listen to the waves from my living room. Become friends with the family of rabbits who reside there. Feed the gulls.

I'll be open on every other Sunday for public tours,$2.00 for adults and kids under 12 free .I'll also conduct tours during the week if you call first for an appointment. Harbour Lights collectors need only show the society membership cards for free admission. Check this forum for dates of my special sunset tours. (Sorry I can only fit 8 people at time on the watch deck).

Re: What would you do? #29315 08/10/99 10:35 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Come on Mike, the way you had the run of the place Sunday, you practically live at Old Field now!
I still can't believe the sit down with the Constable in his dining room. I wish I could have spent more time there that day.(My time problem not the LHs.)
I'm looking foward to that next adventure you were discussing with Bob and I outside the lantern room.

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-10-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: What would you do? #29316 08/10/99 11:37 PM
N
Noelle Offline
N
Wow, I only wish I had stayed longer on sunday. I could have met more people from the forums, and go up top a couple more times, but I still had a great time there, and my daughter Carole has not stopped talking about climbing up her first lighthouse. She kept asking me to let her go up again (but me being an over protective mother) I was afraid she was moving way too fast on the catwalk.
I am really looking forward to more events like that on sunday.
But, I also am going to stick with my earlier post that I would much rather live in view of a lighthouse than In one.

Re: What would you do? #29317 08/11/99 12:08 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Anybody get photos?

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users