Print Thread
Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29274 07/06/01 01:17 PM
R
RMau Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
R
Here's a link \'Other\' Beacon on Shaky Ground to an article in this mornings Charlotte Observer about Bodie Island Lighthouse. It seems that the recent problems at Cape Hatteras that caused the closing of the tower will negatively impact the National Park Service's efforts to restore and open Bodie's tower to the pulic.

The kids are helping with their impromtu 'wishing well'. Maybe if the 2002 Wacko Pin gets off the ground Bodie would be a good candidate?

Rick

Re: Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29275 07/06/01 11:39 PM
O
oseabee Offline
Administrator
Administrator
O
It seems Bodie has been having problems for quite one pesky thing after another.Hope they can get this straightened out and not lose it you know it is on the Digest Doomsday List.Bill O'Brien

oseabee
Bill O'Brien
Re: Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29276 07/07/01 12:18 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Not to stir up a debate but there are a lot of other lighthouses which face a much more iminent fate. Regardless of what is written those OBX Lighthouses are by far in better condition than many of our other lighthouses. I am not saying that they don't deserve preservation efforts and funding but I am saying dont loose sight of the trees because of the forest! Morris Island sets in the water leaning, Cape St. George is as close to the water as Hatteras was, Cape Romain lighthouse probably hasn't seen a dime spent on it since it was closed in 1949...........

Sorry for the rant! It just means I need to get working on efforts for Cape Romain!

Put up or shut up, right?
[This message has been edited by SThompson (edited 07-06-2001).]

Re: Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29277 07/07/01 01:59 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
While I have to agree with Sean about other lights being in worse shape than Bodie. I will say this if my money or time could only help one lighthouse be restored, it would be Bodie Isalnd. Hatteras and Currituck have beeen fixed up why hasn't Bodie Island?
Just the opnion of an ol' Tar Heel who used to live just up the Beach from Bodie Island Light.

Eric
Re: Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29278 07/07/01 03:35 PM
Brent Offline
Carrituck "charges" to go up the tower....I think that Bodie and Hatteras, amoung many others, should consider the same thing even though they are presently maintained with federal tax dollars. Apparently the Park Service and Coast Guard have to operate with an extremely tight budgets and there is only enough money around to do minimal maintenance. With the added income maybe some of these serious repairs could be made once and for all with emphasis put on preventive-maintenance instead of "crisis-maintenance".

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29279 07/07/01 11:03 PM
R
RMau Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
R
The suggestion that Bodie Island may be a candidate for the next Wacko pin was just that, a suggestion. Cape Romain works too as a candidate suggestion.

There are many factors to consider when deciding which of many deserving lighthouses will get one's support. One that I think may be overlooked is the publics ability to access the restored light. This is important because public awareness of the plight of these structures is key to the ability to raise funds for the restoration efforts.

Think about the lights that are well known and in the public eye. Portland Head, Cape Hatteras, the plywood striped thing at Hilton Head, St. Augustine, Split Rock (I think it's in a State Park?), Ponce Inlet. They all have public access in common. They are the ones that fuel the interest in someone who doesn't already have lighthouse fever.

Lighthouse restoration efforts have to involve a measure of triage. There are only so many resources to be had for the task. Where can they be best applied to benefit both the short and long term goals?

Rick

[This message has been edited by RMau (edited 07-07-2001).]

Re: Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29280 07/08/01 12:46 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
Carrituck "charges" to go up the tower....I think that Bodie and Hatteras, amoung many others, should consider the same thing even though they are presently maintained with federal tax dollars.

I believe the NPS had begun to charge for climbing the tower at Cape Hatteras this year. Unfortunately for both Hatteras and Bodie, the damage already exists and must be repaired before they can collect a fee for climbing. While some would object, most people do not object to paying a modest fee for the privilege of climbing the towers.

Dave

Re: Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29281 07/08/01 12:53 AM
DocJ44 Offline
Does anyone have an idea what the fee was to be for Hatteras? Last year as you were leaving the lighthouse they had a questionaire of what you would be willing to pay in the future to be able to climb it...I think choices were $1, $2, or $5. I thought $5 would be OK for a single climber but I personally would probably pass if I had to bring my family of 4. I added the suggestion for a family package of about $10 to make it more affordable for families.

Doc John

Doc John
Re: Bodie Island Lighthouse in the news #29282 07/08/01 01:29 AM
S
SThompson Offline
Administrator
Administrator
S
Quote:
The suggestion that Bodie Island may be a candidate for the next Wacko pin was just that, a suggestion. Cape Romain works too as a candidate suggestion.

Sorry Rick, I didn't mean to throw confusion on the subject. My comments were general and were not directed at your suggestion for the Wacko Pin. Thats an old subject that I won't address again.

I am not aware of any current preservation groups connected with the Cape Romain Light. I did go to the Sewee Visitors Center today and I got some good points of contact to talk to!

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users