Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Guest Speakers #29130 07/16/06 09:52 PM
ericlighthouse Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
At our Florida Lighthouse Association meeting we had the honored to have Bob and Sandra Shanklin, better know as the "Lighthouse People", as speakers. They were the first and to my knownledge the only people to photograph every lighthouse in the United States. When they started in 1987, there was no Lighthouse Challenge to go to, many lighthouses were near impossible to get to. They were both retired and would work to raise money to go on a trip and then travel till they ran out of money and then go back to work until they saved up for the next trip. Also when they started there was not a complete list of lighthouses, they researched and also learned from people lighthouses they had missed lighthouses on earlier trips. Therefore, they had to back track several times. They didn't even give up when they found out how many lighthouses there were (their early estimate was 200 or so). Some of the lights the coast guard took them to, but that was an exception not likely to be repeated. These people were the trail blazers for us current lighthouse hunters. Chances are what ever you have done to see a lighthouse, they have done also.

They both spoke and the stories were very interesting. Bob even saw a ghost at a lighthouse in New England.

The couple now have a new mission. They are going to scan and digitize all the archival lighthouse pictures they can and have several places to store the information. Many of the photo's are fading and of course the flood waters of Katrina destroyed many one of a kind pictures that the Coast Guard had.

If you get a chance visit their website at
http://www.thelighthousepeople.com/

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Guest Speakers #29131 07/16/06 11:54 PM
beachcomber Offline
It is super that the group got to hear the Shanklins. What a service they have done for lighthouse lovers and other historians!

beachcomber
Re: Guest Speakers #29132 07/19/06 01:41 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I've always been fascinated by their travels. I've heard that they're good speakers, too.

You guys are really doing a great job there with CSG...I've heard more progress from your efforts than I have many other restoration efforts. You don't usually see these efforts move so quickly like you're doing.

Re: Guest Speakers #29133 07/19/06 03:08 PM
beachcomber Offline
Another advantage we have here is that Eric (and sometimes, Eric) gives us the step by step progress. That is really super! Right, Eric and Eric? wink

beachcomber

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users