Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Unidentified Lighted Object- ULO #29083 12/04/99 01:51 AM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I was having a discussion at work with someone who is a ham radio buff,but also interested in Lighthouses. He was telling me about a LH that is on the border of two Scandinavian countries that was actually built in the wrong country. They negotiated and made a deal to trade some land for the land the LH was on. He could not remember which two countries or the name of the LH. I've gone to several books and went through several places on the web searching in about 200 websites in the lighthouse ring. I could not find out which one it was. Can anybody help me? I don't have any further specific information. Thanks in advance. Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 12-03-99).]

Re: Unidentified Lighted Object- ULO #29084 12/06/99 06:35 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Whew, this sounds tough, even for the lighhouse sleuth! Are you sure he wasn't talking about the SOL, lol?!

Re: Unidentified Lighted Object- ULO #29085 12/06/99 06:59 PM
wheland Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
I talked to the guy again and he found his source. It's a Ham Radio Operator's magazine called QST. He has the info - it'a a LH called Market (Reef) in the Alands Islands area of Finland . It's a semi-autonomous group of islands in the Baltic sea. I emailed the author of the story and he gave me a link to his website with the logs of his expedition to the LH. Very interesting with pictures and a map showing the division of the reef. Here's the link http://www.qth.com/k7bv I was hoping to find it by myself , but the closest I came to it was a site in Finnish which had a list of LH's, but not knowing the name at that point I did not know which one it was.Finland does not have many LH sites. Dennis

Re: Unidentified Lighted Object- ULO #29086 12/07/99 01:51 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Dennis,
An interesting web site. Don't know that I have ever seen another lighthouse of this type that was day marked with stripes. Kinda belongs u p with the Quoddy's (lol). Had to be an interesting couple of days for those guys. Sure seemed to make a lot of contacts.

Too bad the story is written in "ham" - going back to my early days as a Navy spook I was able to decipher most of what they are saying. Combination of two interesting topics - lighthouses and ham radio. Thanks for the info.

Dave

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users