cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28674 10/16/02 06:29 PM
Shirin Offline OP
OP Offline
From an email I've just received:

Urgent Notice to all

Government theft about to take place with the stealing of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse
A United States Congressmen is attempting to circumvent the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act in the dispute with Currituck Beach Lighthouse.

He has introduced and buried deep in other legislation in HR.5569 Section 1670 a bill that would transfer ownership of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse to the local county government.

This is morally wrong and bypasses the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act in a "darkness of night attempt to steal a lighthouse" away from a non profit that has worked years to save and restore it.

Even worse --- the bill has no provisions that the lighthouse be kept open to the public or maintained in an historic manner under historic guidelines.

The only thing that will stop this bill from passing is an urgent telegram, email and phone call from everyone and everyone you know to their Representative in the United States House of Representatives and United States Senate.

You must also swamp your local media with emails to draw attention to this travesty.

Tomorrow morning Secretary of the Interior Gayle Norton will be on the Today Show and will be interviewed by Katie Curic or Matt Lauer about the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act. You must swamp the TODAY show with e-mails asking them to bring up this issue as a question to Secretary Norton.

A copy of the entire wording of Section 1670 of House Resolution 5569 is below which is part of the Comprehensive Natural Resources Protection Act of 2002.

We need everyone's help now - today - Please do not delay.

Tim Harrison
President
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 889
Wells, ME 04090
Ph # 207-676-0245

Quote:
SEC. 1670. CONVEYANCE OF HISTORIC LIGHTHOUSE.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the historic light station known as the Currituck Beach Lighthouse shall be conveyed, by quitclaim deed and without consideration, to Currituck County, North Carolina. The conveyance shall be completed as soon as practicable after the date of the enactment of this subtitle.

Shirin
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28675 10/17/02 11:57 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Shirin - I edited the cosmetics of your post a bit. I got the same email from Tim Harrison and this one needs to be passed on to everyone!

It's clear the County doesn't think it can win in a fair fight over custody of Currituck Beach Lighthouse and so they've enlisted the help of their local congressperson.

This amendment will come up for a vote and we need to urge our own local Representative to vote NO.

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28676 10/18/02 12:31 AM
ga light man Offline
How in the world can they do such a thing? Can a person living in another state do something to help to prevent this from happening?
Please advise me as soon as possible so I somehow can keep this from happening to this great historic treasure.Those poor people that worked so hard to restore it,now look what is about to happen.Why does the government want it back now when in the first place they would not take care of it? Greedy SOB'S want to make money from I can see.I want to join this cause so just drop me an email soon and teel the best action to take
rclinken1@cox.net
Rick

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28677 10/18/02 12:38 AM
Larry Offline
I'm guessing that this is the sub-committee that is drafting this bill (based on the name of the resolution):

House Committee on Resources

Maryland has just been re-gerrymandered....err, I mean re-districted, and I've been squeezed out of the second district into the first. I've never been a big fan of the first district incumbent. But looky, looky who's on this committee. For the first time in my life, I'm going to write to my congressman, (as well as the rest of the Maryland delegation). Let's see if he can earn my vote.

And don't forget to carbon copy Secretary Norton and, oh heck, ol' Dubya himself. We may end up having to urge him to veto the darn thing!

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28678 10/18/02 12:38 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Rick,

It is not the federal government trying to hijack the light, it is the local county administration. The Congressman is trying to use his position to bypass the law as written, something that happens all too often, I am sure. Too many Congressmen think they are not bound by the same laws as you and I. (Can you say "term limits"?)

Anyway, you can influence your Representative to vote against the overall measure or insist that this scurrilous addition to the bill be deleted.

Dave

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28679 10/18/02 03:04 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Here is a link to the House's own site designed to facilitate emailing your Congressman .

If you are interested in the full bill involved in this plot, here is a link to it .

Dave

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28680 10/18/02 03:18 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I sure didn't read all that bill -- and I bet you a lighthouse that nary a Representative will read it word-for-word either.

This is a 'Good Ole Boys Pork Barrel Bill'. Something for every Representative to show the folks back home that he/she can deliver something for the district.

Now, I think that those who are trying to steal this lighthouse have NO INTENTION of having it open to the public. They want to merge the lighthouse property with a local golf club.

The local landowners probably don't want all those tourists crowding up their roads on the Outer Banks.

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28681 10/18/02 08:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Somewhere I had read that there is a local golf club somehow involved in this deal. I think that the lighthouse is near or next to the club.

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28682 10/18/02 10:46 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28683 10/18/02 02:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you think that there is just a slight possibility that the politicians involved could maybe, might be members ?? Do you think ?

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28684 10/18/02 05:12 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Do we know a Representative who could add an amendment to the amendment that would REQUIRE the owning organization to maintain the lighthouse OPEN TO THE PUBLIC 24/7/365 with no charge?

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28685 10/18/02 06:22 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I spoke with Cheryl Roberts this afternoon.

Congress has recessed without considering this bill. They needed to get back to their districts to campaign.

They are scheduled to reconvene on Tuesday, November 12. Not sure how soon this bill will come up after that.

However, please continue to be pro-active in writing your Representatives about this bill.

There is already a mechanism in place passed by Congress to convey lighthouses to public entiies. This provision only serves to circumvent this mechanism.

Cheryl believes that the local representative Walter B. Jones got this amendment because the County would not meet the standards set by the lighthouse act for receiving the lighthouse.

She will be sending out another email this weekend.

If you'd like to be on their email list, go to http://www.outer-banks.com/lighthouse-society/index.cfm

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28686 10/18/02 08:43 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
The county does not want to combine the lighthouse property with the Currituck Club.

It is the Whalehead Club, which sits ajacent to the lighthouse, which will be combined. The Whalehead Club is a historic hunting lodge that the county has restored. I think they have put in $3 million so far in restoring the property.

Here is a link to the Whalehead Club: http://www.whaleheadclub.org

Here is a link from a local Outer Banks Paper describing the proposed ammendment:

http://www.dailyadvance.com/news/newsfd/auto/feed/news/2002/10/18/1034950477.21102.0258.9851.html

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28687 10/18/02 11:19 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
from the article Bryan linked to-
Quote:
Bowman said the county government should get control of the lighthouse, "not some shady 501 C3 (nonprofit organization) or a state that is $2 billion in debt."
Would seem to me that this is slander when refering to the OBC. How much effort have they expended on raising funds and rehabilitating the lighthouse? I find it so interesting that the county leaders (and I use the word 'leaders' only because they are the bozos in control) have such a vendetta against OBC. What has OBC done to them to get them so riled up?

John, you mention the county can not meet the standards. In what way? I would think that would be definite ammunition to use in letters to our representatives and to Secretary Norton.

Dave

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28688 10/19/02 11:29 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28689 10/19/02 11:53 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
These two articles are a little more objective and factual. I would say they tend to be more favorable towards the OBC, especially the one from the Observer.

John, can you elaborate on "because the County would not meet the standards set by the lighthouse act for receiving the lighthouse"? This is an intriguing statement and could be powerful ammunition to be used in our letters.

Dave

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28690 10/20/02 01:05 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
This comment was by phone with Cheryl. I don't have information to further elaborate on it. Here is her comment upon reviewing what you find posted here:

Quote:
Thank you for putting this out to the voters to allow them to contact their congressmen with whatever opinion they have. Will congressmen listen or will this be voted in voice in a 2 am session with few present on/after Nov 12? My fear is that the entire due process of awarding our American lighthouses to qualified entities will be destroyed as set up in the National Historic Lighthouses Preservation Act as amended in 2000. It was a hard-earned amendment by experts in the field of lighthouse volunteers and preservationists. It must not be circumvented for any reason.

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28691 10/23/02 09:49 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
http://www.obsentinel.com/local_politics.cfm?&local_politics_id=132

Things continue to heat up. Could the decision on Currituck Beach be up to George W. Bush?

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28692 10/23/02 10:24 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
JOhn,

Thanks for keeping this very important item in the forefront. I just did something that I don't think I ever did before and that was to write to my congressman and let him know how I felt. Hopefully we can add our prayers to our letters and see that Currituck is kept safe and in the hands of the OBC.

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28693 10/24/02 12:44 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Pretty decent article. Much more objective and states the preservationist side of things much better. Also really nice to know about the county's fiasco with their first try at receiving property to be maintained. Perhaps this is the reason they would not qualify. Given the little info provided, Secretary Norton could in no way award the county ownership of the lighthouse!

Dave

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28694 10/24/02 12:54 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I got a very informative newsletter with the Postcard Exchange #12 in envelope from Brian that ias chock full of information about the history of the restoration of Currituck and the lack of assisatance given by the local government.

It also points out that currituck is the only lighthouse in NC that is currently open to the public and it is in non-profit hands as opposed to government hands.

It is fairly up to date and looks like it was sent out to the immediate area to generate support.

Dennis

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28695 10/25/02 02:40 AM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I sent an email to my representative. I hope it helps. Thanks Dave for the link, made sending the email really easy.

MelJB

Melody
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28696 11/04/02 09:53 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28697 11/04/02 10:23 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks for the update John,

Let's hope that the outcries will put a stop to the effort to circumvent the process. Too much time, effort and money was put into this wonderful light to have some circumvent the process and steal the light for themselves. SHAME - SHAME!

Bert wink

Bert

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28698 11/07/02 01:22 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Just got an update in an email from the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society:

Lloyd Childers, director of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse (CBLH) informed us that, "We had a call from Dan Smith at NPS, saying that the applications left their office by FedEx at noon today (Tuesday 4 Nov)." So, the first step in the due process as set down by the Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act has gone into action concerning the transfer of the CBLH to the deserving entity. Now, will NC Congressman Walter Jones be able to override this process? We need your support by phone calls and emails to your representatives to ensure the due process continues. Read on...and your help is needed.

The following letter from Susan Montgomery of the Preservation Action League will tell you about the issue of the transfer of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse (CBLH). Even if NC Congressman Walter B. Jones (R) 3rd district favored the Outer Banks Conservationists over Currituck County to receive ownership of the CBLH, both entities should still be required to go through the due process of application, review panel, and a decision then would be made by Dept. of Interior Sec Gale Norton based on the panel's advice. Furthermore, if Cong Jones doesn't like the present and excellent stewards of the CBLH, he must not act as judge and jury in this issue. He supported the framework for the criteria of deciding who receives a lighthouse as written in his own legislation, the Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act. Lighthouse societies around the country are expressing outrage at Jones's backdoor approach at taking control of a lighthouse, owned by all of America, and transferring it to Currituck County, part of Jones's political jurisdiction.

--begin quoted material
PRESERVATION ACTION LEGISLATIVE WATCH

A Weekly Service for Members

Vol. 5, Number 41, October 25, 2002

============================================

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==

Prepared by Preservation Action,

Tel: 202/298-6180

mail@preservationaction.org

www.preservationaction.org

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ==
1 SECRETARY APPLAUDS LIGHT HOUSE PROGRAM, HOUSE MOVES TO VIOLATE IT

Last week, as Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton sat before the cameras on NBC's Today Show trumpeting the import and success of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation (NHLP) program, the U.S. House of Representatives was debating a bill that could undermine the program entirely.

Act of 2002 (H.R. 5569), which the House failed to pass last week, directs the Coast Guard to convey by quitclaim deed, the Currituck Beach Lighthouse to Currituck County, North Carolina. This conveyance would be made wholly outside the process and procedures put in place by the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of which Secretary Norton is rightly so proud.

Norton explained that the program is designed to transfer lighthouses and light stations from the Coast Guard to non-profits or government entities.

She stressed that in order to assure that the lighthouse is well cared for, the National Parks Service carefully screens prospective owners through a competitive process that people will comply with the historic preservation standards, and that they are people who really have the ability to take care of them." Under the program, the new owners must agree to adhere to the Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation and make the site available to the public. The transfer contract also includes a reversion clause that require return of the property to the federal government if these conditions are not met.

The Currituck transfer proposed in H.R. 5569, section 1670, includes no such language. Instead, it would transfer the lighthouse without conducting a formal application process, and without any of the safeguards that Secretary Norton enumerated.

Preservation Action, the National Trust and a host of North Carolina groups and lighthouse activists are objecting to Section 1670 sponsored by Walter B. Jones (R-NC)that encourages other Members of Congress to act outside of the established program putting at risk the architectural integrity of these special maritime resources.

Chairman James Hanson (R-UT), 242 Cannon House Office Building, Washington,

DC 20515-4401 and Ranking Member Nick Rahall (D-WV), 2307 Rayburn House

Office Building, Washington, DC 20515-4803. Ask them to remove Section 1607

from the Comprehensive National Resources Protection Act of 2002. If your

member sits on the House Resources Committee, write to him or her as well,

see list below.

House Resources Committee: Representatives Neil Abercrombie (D-HI), Anibal Acevedo-Vila (D-PR), Ken Calvert (R-CA), Chris Cannon (R-UT), Brad Carson D-OK), Donna Christensen (D-VI), Barbara Cubin (R-WY), Peter A. DeFazio D-OR), Calvin M. Dooley (D-CA), John J. Duncan (R-TN), Eni F. H. Faleomavaega (D-AS), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Elton Gallegly (R-CA), Jim Gibbons R-NV), Wayne T. Gilchrest (R-MD), James V. Hansen (R-UT), J. D. Hayworth(R-AZ), Joel Hefley (R-CO), Rush Holt (D-NJ), Jay Inslee (D-WA), Walter B.Jones (R-NC), Dale E. Kildee (D-MI), Ron Kind (D-WI), Edward J. Markey(D-MA), Betty McCollum (D-MN), James P. McGovern (D-MA), Scott McInnis(R-CO), George Miller (D-CA), Grace F. Napolitano (D-CA), Solomon P. Ortiz(D-TX), Tom Osborne (R-NE), C. L. Otter (R-ID), Frank Pallone (D-NJ), JohnE. Peterson (R-PA), Richard W. Pombo (R-CA), George Radanovich (R-CA), NickJ. Rahall (D-WV), Dennis R. Rehberg (R-MT), Jim Saxton (R-NJ), Bob Schaffer(R-CO), Michael K. Simpson (R-ID), Adam Smith (D-WA), Hilda L. Solis (D-CA),Mark E. Souder (R-IN), Thomas Gerard Tancredo (R-CO), W. J. Tauzin (R-LA),Mac Thornberry (R-TX), Mark Udall (D-CO), Tom Udall (D-NM), Robert A.Underwood (D-GU), Greg Walden (R-OR), Don Young (R-AK).

--end quoted material

Information about Congressional leaders can be
found at http://clerk.house.gov/members/index.php?. The email address of your representative can be found at: http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congress-email.html or http://www.house.gov/writerep/

The two leaders in the provision 1670 of HR 5569 are James V. Hansen (R) of Utah. (202) 225-0453 and Nick J. Rahall II (D) WV. (202) 225-3452. Call them and tell them to remove provision 1670 concerning the Currituck Beach Lighthouse from HR 5569. It is TOO controversial. They've had to add additional voice mailboxes to handle the responses to this issue from all over the country! And Cong. Jones calls it "noncontroversial." Not true! The lighthouse community must stand together and make sure the fair review process is adhered to in transfer of our American lighthouses.

An excellent editorial by Sandy Semans of the Outer Banks Sentinel is posted at the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society's journal site. http://www.outer-banks.com/lighthouse-society/journal/article.cfm?article_id=68 Or, on the homepage of the OBLHS at http:www.outer-banks.com/lighthouse-society, hit the "journal" button to the left and then choose "Lighthouse News Fall 2002."

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28699 11/07/02 01:54 PM
Shirin Offline OP
OP Offline
From an email...

Dear Friends,
I'd like to create a list of historic properties across America that are owned and run by non profit organizations.
This list would be used in the battle to stop Congressman Jones from attempting to steal Currituck Beach Lighthouse and destroy the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act.
Unfortunately, I do not have the time to do this and will need the help of as many of you as possible.
Do not think that the next person will take the initiative, please pitch in. People are always asking us, what can I do to help...well here is something you can help with.

Send me the names of the historic properties, (lighthouses, monuments, court houses, barns, houses or whatever) location of the historic property and name of the nonprofit that owns it and is taking care of it.
Your help is needed now.

Tim Harrison
American Lighthouse Foundation
Timh@LHDigest.com

Shirin
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28700 11/13/02 03:58 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
This is the response many people have received from Representative Bill Owens:

In response to your recent e-mail.

The people I represent in the North Carolina General Assembly support the transfer of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse from the Federal government to Currituck County. The lighthouse would be a valuable addition to the Currituck County Whalehead Clubhouse property. I will do everything in my power for Currituck County to get the lighthouse.

The Outer Banks Conservationists have done a great job; however, they do not reside in Currituck County. I support Currituck County obtaining ownership rather than a non-profit group who could be here today and gone tomorrow.

The County of Currituck will always be there. The people of Currituck County deserve to have some say in something that is such a big part of their heritage.

I do appreciate your input, but I must support the citizens I represent.

Bill Owens
Representative

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28701 11/13/02 12:27 PM
Gary Martin Offline
I received the same absurd response from him. Talk about political thievery at its worst! This ranks right up thee with the local politicial who was using the word "moral" to describe local government efforts to steal Currituck from the OBC who has done such a superb job of resurrecting it. The county government will no doubt be happy to have the lighthouse, I'm sure, until it starts to cost them something for continued upkeep, at which point it will again be the subject of county neglect.

Gary

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28702 11/13/02 12:58 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Where was his support and that of the county when the OBC came forward and saved the lighthouse? Amazing how they come forward to accept the finished project after everyone else has done the work. DISGUSTING

Bert mad

Bert

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28703 11/13/02 02:26 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Guess it's bad news because Congress is once again back in session. What havoc can they reek (sic) in the few weeks before their 'Holiday Break'?

NOW IS THE TIME to write or email your REPRESENTATIVE. Make these points.

1. Vote NO on H.R. 5569 because...

2. It circumvents a law already on the books passed by both houses and signed by the President that establishes a fair way to convey Lighthouses to those who can and want to care for them.

3. The language in H.R. 5569 calls for Currituck Beach Lighthouses to be conveyed to the County by quitclaim deed and specifically states that the county does not need to abide by any of the rules established by the previous law.

4. Currituck Beach Lighthouse is now open to the public thanks to the the volunteer group that has restored and maintained the lighthouse. Under the quitclaim deed, there is no necessity that the lighthouse remain open.

5. Lighthouses are NATIONAL resources that are important to 'telling the story' of America.

See Dave's post in this thread for how to email your REPRESENTATIVE.

Here's my email:

Quote:
Dear Congressman Hayworth:

I am writing to oppose one provision of HR5569 because this provision would circumvent an existing law pertaining to the conveyance of lighthouses.

The provision in question was introduced by Rep. Ownes (NC) who wants the Currituck Beach Lighthouse conveyed to Currituck County by a quitclaim deed. This slight of hand would bypass all the provisions of the existing law on lighthouse conveyance and does not require that the lighthouse even remain open to the public.

As you know, lighthouses are an important part of our American heritage and should remain open. The current caretakers of this lighthouse have done an excellent job of raising private funds to restore and operate the lighthouse. The local county government appears concerned because the group is not based in their county.

Most of the provisions of HR5569 appear to be local in nature, but I don't want this one provision to slip through unseen.

Respectfully,

John Chidester

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28704 11/13/02 02:27 PM
lhlover Offline
Thank you Bert! I think you just voiced the opinion every single one of us is thinking. The county is more than happy to snatch the lighthouse now that thousands of dollars, hundreds of volunteered labor hours, and plenty of blood, sweat, and love has gone into restoring the lighthouse; but they never once stepped up to help when the restoration started or was in progress. The part about the OBC not residing in the county, so he doesn't believe they will be the best people for the lighthouse is very upsetting. Is it the lighthouse's fault that it resides in a county that didn't care for it and allowed it to become run down? I see that the county didn't stop the OBC from restoring the lighthouse, why should they now stand in the way of the OBC from owning it. Oh Yeah! Because it is restored now, all the hard stuff has been completed. How better to show your appreciation for the OBC than by taking the lighthouse away from them because they may be "here today and gone tomorrow!" mad

I say give the lighthouse to the people with the best track record. Let's see how it adds up. . . I can think of about 1,000 reasons for the OBC to keep the light and only 1 for the county residents (they live near it). Bill Ownes needs to do the math! I think that anyone that isn't blinded by the money (or possible number of votes for next election) will see that the OBC has done a remarkable job and will continue to do so.

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28705 11/13/02 04:04 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
From the article John linked to above (from the Sentinel):
Quote:
Continued preservation of the structure is a special concern to those who remember Monkey Island. The historic island near Corolla was given to the county by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to use for an education center.

In 1998, the site reverted to USFWS because the county had failed to live up to its agreement to restore and protect the island, the hunt-club complex that once thrived there and the remaining historic artifacts from the Pamunkey Indian tribe, which is said to have deemed the land sacred.
This county and its government has already demonstrated their unwillingness to restore / maintain historic properties given to them. This is exactly what this back room dealing is trying to do.

Another question that comes to mind is what happens to the 20 year lease the OBC has from the government? Would it automatically be voided by a sleazy conveyance?

I received a somewhat disappointing response from my Congressman, hopefully not indicative of the thought process of the majority of Congress. Whoever wrote the letter for him simply regurgitated the highlights of the legislation, the good things it is trying to accomplish. All too many Members will simply make a glance at the legislation before they vote. Our hope has to be that we can at least make their staff aware of the controversy and pray that because of this they will look past the first paragraph before voting.

Dave

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28706 11/13/02 04:29 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
This bill has been assigned to the Resources Committee of the House... it is the representatives on this committee that you need to write or email and prevent it from ever getting out of the committe....

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28707 11/13/02 04:30 PM
eastpoint Offline
I sent an email to my congressman today requesting that he not vote for this provision. I hope he will be receptive to my suggestion since we have a number of lighthouses in his district.

Hank

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28708 11/14/02 09:33 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28709 11/15/02 02:22 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
After reading that article, there was so much raw sewage in the form of quotes that came across the screen that I am going to have to send my monitor out for cleaning! I can't believe that some of those bozos had the #$%^& to say some of the things they did! and with a straight face.

Is it just me, or who is Williams? He came into the article about half way thru with no introduction. Or did they still mean Harrison? Not a bad article as in not anti-OBC, just so much garbage from politicians that there should have to be some kind of toxic waste disclaimer.

IMHO,

Dave

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28710 11/15/02 03:54 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I have sent emails to 5 Wisconsin Congress persons, including one who sits on the Resources Committee. I will get a letter to Gail Norton tomorrow.

Suzanne

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28711 11/15/02 04:08 AM
Gary Martin Offline
I e-mailed a letter to Gale Norton about a week ago but haven't yet heard back from her other than the automatic notification that the reply had been received in her in-box.

Gary

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28712 12/05/02 12:10 AM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Here is a new article from this weeks verrsion of the Outer Banks Sentinel:

http://www.obsentinel.com/more_frontpage.cfm

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28713 12/05/02 12:02 PM
Ron Offline
They just elected a new govenor Elizabeth Dole why not start there. Of course she does not take office till january. Ron

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28714 12/05/02 05:25 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I don't like politicians from the gitgo to begin with, they are for the most part a bunch of crooks trying to get it out of our pockets and into theirs in one way or another. But I must admit, this guy just plain stinks. I really didn't think anyone could be this unfair to others for his own good. This place was in the dump when the oranization started with it and they have the pictures to prove it! I was just there a few weeks ago and the place is in beautiful shape. They should be held up as an example of how it should always be done. Now these jerks who wanted nothing to with the cost of restoration want to steal it away for nothing and they have a weasel in their pocket in Washington to help them. In my humble opinion these are a bunch of people who really make me wonder if I they should even be in office. They are a prime example of what is very wrong with government and how far the government has strayed from "for the people". I better quit before I really tick someone off or end up on a big brother black list some where mad

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28715 12/06/02 03:57 PM
Lighthouse Joe Offline
If it should happen, they should consider using just two words (maybe four) :

Law Suit

or

Supreme Court

Maybe both!

Lighthouse Joe

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28716 12/08/02 01:31 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
Here is a new article from todays Richmond-Times Dispatch.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/frontpage/MGBLSK4EG9D.html

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28717 12/08/02 03:18 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Thanks for the update.

It sounds like even the opposition is embarrassed at the duplisitous nature of the Congressman.

I hope that this is watched carefully so we can step in if the congressman continues with his attempt to circumvent the rules he helped to set up.

I love the way he makes it sound like he is doing no such thing when that's exactly what he's doing- of course this is one of the attributes one must have to be a politician.

Dennis

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28718 12/12/02 09:55 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
The bill has officially failed for this session of congress. But, it look like it may be re-introduced in the next congrss.

http://www.pilotonline.com/news/nw1212cur.html

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28719 12/13/02 07:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love this lighthouse... I hope nothing bad happens. I signed the petition.

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28720 12/19/02 04:21 PM
eastpoint Offline
On Monday night when I got home I had a phone message from my congressman's office, who I had e-mailed about the bill. The message was from one of his staff who said the bill had not made to the 107th congress but that it might be introduced again in the 108th congress. He said that the congressman would be watching if the bill did come up again.

Hank

Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28721 12/20/02 01:27 PM
Brent Offline
I received a similar reply, in writing, from my Congressman, here in the 5th District of Virginia. I have also written to both of my U.S. Senator's "just in case". After all...if the bill is re-introduced and does pass the House...doesn't it go to the Senate for a vote?? It is comforting to know that we all can make a difference! wink

"KTF"..... smile

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28722 12/20/02 02:23 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
The best place to voice your objections, if this bill is reintroduced by NC Congressman Walter B. Jones in this next session, is to the committee that it will be assigned to…. the House Committee on Resources. Bills like this are more easily done away with in a committee before they even reach the full House.

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Currituck Lighthouse about to be stolen - Only hours remain #28723 12/20/02 03:05 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Thanks Paul, I didn't know that. I will be watching for it though. smile .

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,024 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users