Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2840 10/22/00 02:56 PM
S
SAM5 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by JTimothyA:
[b]BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART SAM5 10-14-2000 The General Forum

What happened to this thread?
I removed it. It wasnt being used correctly.
I did however email the other person who was requesting a piece to repost as I was going to delete it. Rob
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 10-22-2000).][/B]

[This message has been edited by SAM5 (edited 10-22-2000).]

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2841 10/22/00 05:15 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
J
Quote:
What happened to this thread?
I removed it. It wasnt being used correctly.

SAM5 - I'm sure you believed your intention was good and I don't question that. Deleting the entire thread may have overstepped the bounds of forum decorum. My comments have nothing to do with the contents or ideas expressed in the "BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART" thread. My comments are about the way the forums are run, and about the contract we make with each other when we participate here.

Folks should fell free to pass judgement on the correctness of their own messages. But please do not censor or erase the messages of other people regardless of how you interpret their correctness. When a person creates the first message in a thread it does not mean they own or have rights over the responses in that thread written by other people regardless of their opinion of those messages or whether they think they are on topic or not.

These forums are meant to be a place for the open exchange of information and ideas. We are free to discuss and agree or disagree. As long as messages do not include gross profanity or expose personal information about other people which they don't want exposed, or violate the law (ianal) then messages should not be censored or deleted by anyone other than their author. Civility is strongly encouraged as is the free play of thoughts, opinions, ideas, etc.

There is, imo, a design flaw in the software that allows individual members to delete entire threads when they post the first message in a thread. The software is working as designed. (When you choose to delete the first msg you are informed: "Forum Note: deleting this post will result in the deletion of the entire topic, since this post is the first post in the topic.") JC - can this be configured as an option?

In the future if you are the creator of a thread and you no longer want your original message to be seen, simply edit the message and remove the contents of the message (blank it out - space over your words), but do not delete the entire thread or otherwise censor the words of others.

I hate to suggest 'rules', but one person should not be judge jury and excutioner over the ideas of others. I hope this is an approach acceptable to each forum moderator. Thanks.

__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 10-22-2000).]

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2842 10/22/00 06:42 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sam5,

What is your definition of correctly?

Dennis

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2843 10/22/00 08:35 PM
S
SAM5 Offline
S
First of all SORRY If I have broken any rules. As far as why I did it, Well it just got out of hand and was not being used in the intent in which is was intended. Its Meaning for those who didn't understand was for me or people like me to find kind people that were going to the reunion and were not going to get the whole allotment of the pieces in witch they were allowed to help out a fellow HL collector. It was not intended for people to discuss the projected worth or how much money they spent on the hard to get ones. I am sure Bob is a good person and didn't completely want to deter people form doing this. He did however in my opinion knew what he was doing. So as far as deleting the whole thread, It served its purpose and was no longer needed. This place is a tool for all and if you start a thred such as the one I started and was not being used the way it was intended then I should Have the right to Delete it. But if thats the rules than I will abide by them from now on.

Rob

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2844 10/22/00 10:24 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
As cruise director I can also delete or edit threads in the General Forum. I can help in making a decision as to what is the best course to take.

Many times a topic starts in one direction and makes a drastic turn to a either a different topic or the opposite of the original intent. A thread can always be moved to a more appropriate forum.

As one who has put her foot into her mouth a few times, and chewed on it, I know the feeling of wishing I hadn't written something or thought my intent was being misunderstood. I let my words stand because others had expressed their feelings on the topic.

Joanne

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2845 10/23/00 12:17 AM
Medicman Offline
Hey Joanne,
Shouldn't this now be moved to Forum about these Forums?

Hey Sam,
Did anyone contact you directly regarding your post? Has anyone offered to help you out in your request?
To be honest, if I posted a topic and felt it was being made "light of" or not replied to as I thought it should, and if the software allows me to, I would be inclined to remove it also. I really thought that just the topic's moderators had that ability to do so. (and John... of course...)

The only problem I see with you removing the topic is that there was a similar request made from another person and now the request is gone and they have no say in the matter. Did you contact them and advise them of your decision so that they might repost the requesst?
I hope this matter doesn't stop you from posting here in the forum... or stop making sincere request from other Wacko's. Just look how the postcard exchange got started... by a simple and sincere request.

The product Bill sells and that we buy is top quality... and so are the Wackos here in the forum. Some might use it as a sounding board, and I might now agree to some rules that are in place, but the main purpose of these forums are the sharing of ideas and knowledge of what we all care about... Lighthouses.

Now Sam, if you've read this all and I haven't made you mad or upset or whatever.... Hey friend, give me a call.. cause I for one am taking my wife to the reunion and I hadn't planned on getting the max number of pieces (2 each) and since I've found out I can make changes to that fact, maybe I can help you out. Yes there are some that will recoup the cost by selling them... and I might sell one or two also... But since Cindy and I can get 4... that leaves one more I could get and maybe make a new HL friend by doing this deed.

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2846 10/23/00 11:12 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Sam5,
I think it's hard for someone to make a committment on something they don't have.
You might be surprised to the reaction if you wait patiently until October 4, 2001.
There's a lot of nice people collecting HLs and after you've been hear awhile...
- Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2847 10/23/00 06:41 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi SAM,

I've already apologized once in the thread you deleted. Just so everyone will know and my good-name will not be tarnished on this forum, I saw SAM5's request for someone to consider him if they could buy an extra reunion exclusive and he would prepay. I didn't see anyone jumping to give him a reply so I expressed my personal feelings about many (not all) collectors would probably purchase the extras and sell them at a later date to recover part of their expenses to attend the reunion or to use the profit to purchase an expensive piece that they may not fall into their regular HL budget. That is a fact of life in the world of collecting.

SAM5 you stated that (refering to me)"in your opinion I knew what I was doing". You were absolutely correct. I told you how it is in my reply to your inquiry. Like I also stated in my reply you deleted, I am buying four reunion exclusives. I'm keeping one set, giving one set as a gift to a close friend, and will be selling the other two sets at sometime in the future. This might help in a small way to recoup the almost $1300 I have spent on my last three HLs.

For the last time I apologize if I insulted you in any way. I felt I needed to post this reply because you felt offended and I do not want anyone posting or just reading this forum to get the wrong opinion about me.

Best regards,

Bob M

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2848 10/23/00 08:03 PM
S
SAM5 Offline
S
Wow if I keep this up I will have enough posts to be a wacko, if you ask me I think I am already one. As I said there was responce to my requests for a reunion piece and it is a solid lead. As to the question to Did I contact the other person, Yes I did
and told her what I was planning to do and told her to repost.

With all that said I think Its time to go Lighthouseing up north

P.S BOB I Except
AND I to am sorry
this got out of
Hand

Rob

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2849 10/23/00 08:23 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Have fun up North, Rob. We'll look forward to many more posts from you about your lighthousing adventures.

Bob

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2850 10/23/00 08:34 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Rob,

when you have any question, or doubt, or are unsure of anything pertaining to these forums you only have to do one thing.

Ask. Someone will definitely assist you. You will find that this group of people on this forum are a very helpful bunch. sometimes they make you work for their help.

Sometimes they will give you a hard time, but generally they are always willing to help each other .

So ask away and they'll answer.

Dennis

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2851 10/23/00 09:09 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I would like to add one thought to all of this... Sam5 your original request should have been a post in the Marketplace in the first place.

It states very plainly the purpose of the Marketplace Forum.....post Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted messages here.

This was definitely a "wanted message". By the time I saw the thread, there were already several responses, so I decided not to delete it and request that it go in the Marketplace. The purpose of the Marketplace forum is that there is one place where all Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted messages are posted.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2852 10/23/00 09:21 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the gift of that LIGHTHOUSE! But I will have to decline the gift for I will be at the reunion getting my own! It's always the thought that counts!

Here from Cincinnati where the weather is beautiful and the Bengals won yesterday! It don't get any better than that! (I'm in line for those playoff tickets!!!)LOL!!!

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2853 10/24/00 01:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Randy, don't forget, the NFL playoffs come thru Chicago......... (to O'Hare to refuel on the way somewhere else), where the Bears are playing so poorly they have been eliminated from the playoffs for this season And next season allready, And the Bears playoff band wagon is up on jack stands in a barn in Platteville, Wisconsin.

And Rob this only goes to show that no matter where a topic starts out at it changes 5-7 times and later ends up at the Fog Signal Building looking for a home where Tim and I take it out behind the wood shed and beat the daylights out of it.

Mark

Re: BY THE KINDNESS OF YOUR HART #2854 11/05/00 10:10 PM
T
TGIFIF Offline
T
I'm sorry, I guess I should have posted to forum. But I sent e-mail directly to him instead of answering in forum.

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users