Next Thread
Print Thread
New SCAM #2825 09/05/06 05:01 PM
Bob Ott Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Folks,

It might be a good idea to close attention to this message. This morning I received Email from Billing@AOL.com -- BEWARWE this is a SCAM.

"The Subject: IMPORTANT: Alert about your AOL billing information on file

The accompaning letter:

NOTE: Many features of this site require Javascript and cookies You can enable both via your browser's preferences settings.

Welcome to AOL Customer Support

Dear valued AOL member, It has come to our attention that your billing informations are out of order.

If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records so you will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, any failure in updating your records will result an account suspension.

Please update your records before the 07 September 2006.

Once you have updated your account records your AOL session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal . Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future problems.

To update your AOL records Click here .

http://billing.AOL.com

© 2006 America Online, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

The contents of the form is as follows

AOL Billing Center

Answers to Common Questions

Why have I been brought here?
I want to stay with AOL, how do I keep my account?
What if I don't want to keep my AOL account?

Enter Billing Information

First Name
Middle Initial
Last Name
Billing Address Street
City
State Zip/Postal Code
Country
Phone Number
Mother's Maiden Name
Social Security Number
Date of Birth:
AOL Accepts
Credit/Debit Card: Select/Debit/Credit

Card Number

Expiration Date
Name on the Card
Cvv/Cvv2
Last 3 digits located on the back of your credit card or (4 digits for AMEX located on the front above your credit card number)
Card PIN Number:

Your 4 digit number used in ATM transactions. (You may request a new PIN from the issuing bank after our verification completes, usually 3 business days)

Card Issuing Bank:
Bank Routing #:
Bank Checking Account # :

Important Guidelines
Please provide your credit card billing information in the fields provided.

Enter required information as it appears on your credit card statements.
We verify all the information to help us prevent credit card fraud.

You must be the credit card holder or authorized user of the credit card.

Validate your AOL Account
We need to validate your current AOL Screen Name and Password to make sure you are the rightful owner of your account.

Screen Name
Password

If you have any comments or questions please use the box below.

Comment Suggestion
We want to hear from you! Tell us what you think!

Your comments will be sent to our trained staff for review.

Finished

Your IP address is logged for fraud prevention.

When you have filled out the form entirely press Submit!

Your data is being sent encrypted using AOL's SSL security.

NO NOT FILL IN THIS FORM. INSTEAD CALL AOL CUSTOMER SUPPORT @ 1-888-265- 8003

This bit of information is pretty inportant -- at least in my opinion. It took over three hours to gather and I talked to four (4) Tech Reps."

bobo

Re: New SCAM #2826 09/05/06 05:22 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
ANY form letter/request that asks you for any personal info should be considered bogus. No legitimate entity you are dealing with will ask for info such as your SSN, you credit card info and such. If there is a legitimate need for it they will already have it on file (use this same rule of thumb for phone calls asking for the information.)

Don't let them install active x or cookies into your system - who knows what future evil they will cause. I don't even open 99.9% of these phishing scams. Every once in a while I will forward the ebay/PayPal ones on to them, but generally they are immediatley deleted from my system (not just deleted from the inbox, I chase them down in the "deleted items' folder and delete them again to do my best to kill them off.

You give them even half the info they asked Bob for and I can pretty much guarantee your identity will be cloned and you will spend years trying to recover.

If in doubt, call the company and ask. Don't use the phone number in the email or that the person on the phone gives you because it will also take you to a fake call center. Search your files or google them or call information for a phone number.

Re: New SCAM #2827 09/05/06 05:23 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,
Thanks for the alert and the info.
HCS

Re: New SCAM #2828 09/05/06 05:27 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Dave,
I agree with you. I get e-mails all the time from Pay Pal and E-Bay also Chase Bank. I delete them.
HCS

Re: New SCAM #2829 09/05/06 07:12 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You should NEVER EVER give that kind of informtation out!!
Legitimate people won't ask you for it in emails!
This is THE esiest way to have your identity stolen!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: New SCAM #2830 09/05/06 07:52 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Also a legitimate company will not ask you for your personal pin number.

Cyndi
Re: New SCAM #2831 09/05/06 11:28 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I also refrain from giving out my email address to every Tom, Dick or Harry who asks for it. Who needs even more junk mail???

Re: New SCAM #2832 09/06/06 12:20 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Funny this topic just came up...just this morning, I noticed a charge for $25 for AOL Internet service on my AMEX account that I neither initiated or authorized...

Re: New SCAM #2833 09/06/06 01:03 AM
Hal Dean Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob
I received the same memo that you received last week and I deleted it. I will not give out any info like that when I did not request. Hal

Re: New SCAM #2834 09/06/06 04:27 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Actually, I tend to forward these messages (including the full header) to the company they supposedly have come from and to my ISP, as well as to Yahoo.
All these people have a vested interest in catching "phishers" like that and need to know about them.

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: New SCAM #2835 09/06/06 11:40 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Gee, Rock, maybe with AOL announcing the new free service (or whatever it was just recently) they are looking for a few fine people to help pay the bills......

Re: New SCAM #2836 09/06/06 02:43 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I also forward these type e-mails to the place they appear to be from to help them combat the problem. I never would give anybody this type of info in this manner.

Heck, I had a delivery scheduled for this past Sunday of a preordered and paid for catering tray. I got a call from somebody who said they were with the stroe and that there was a problem with the credit card number I had given them.

I wouldn't give him the information. I hung up and called into the store myself and gave the same person the information- he understood my reluctance to do it initially , though.

You can't be too careful these days.

Dennis

Re: New SCAM #2837 09/06/06 08:17 PM
regalhobo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Any legit company will never ask for personal info like. Even on the phone UNLESS you initiated the call. Its really getting bad with all this bogus stuff coming at you.

smile cool

regalhobo
Tom K

:) :cool:
Re: New SCAM #2838 09/06/06 11:20 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
It's hard to imagine that anyone would fall for these kinds of phishing expeditions, but if they send out hundreds of thousands and 100 fall, that could be a lot of money from accounts and lots of damage to that victim's credit.

It's hurt my business of surveys by mail and online. 2 years ago, I would get a 50% response to an online survey invitation; today it's about 25%. Mail survey responses used to average 20% return rate; now I'm lucky to get 10% back.

People are just more skeptical of answering questions about their banking relationship. (My questions are about the quality of service bank customers expect and receive from an institution where they already have an account relationship.)

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,389 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users