Print Thread
1st Order Fresnel - Anyone know where you can buy one? #28220 07/06/98 07:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, I am serious. Someone asked me the other day and they have the money to buy it. So, I told them I'd see if I could find one. Does any body know of this lense being available anywhere in the world?

Re: 1st Order Fresnel - Anyone know where you can buy one? #28221 07/07/98 12:29 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Couple months ago we took a charter boat to visit Chambers Island. The island sits in the middle of Green Bay. The lighthouse is very similar to the one at Eagle Bluff. Sadly the Chambers Island light is missing its lantern room. Turns out its 2nd order lens is SOMEWHERE IN NEBRASKA and all the valiant efforts of the Chambers preservation group can't retrieve it.

First order Fresnel lens' are not exactly commonplace. And they're HUGE - big enough to walk around on the inside (six-feet wide by 12 feet tall).

If your acquaintance has enough money to buy a 1st order lens they have enough money to get a reproduction made. Better yet - donate the money to some lights in need of lens repair - they'll be happy to put up a plaque noting the generosity of the donor and we'll all be the better for 'em.

Acquiring one deprives the lighthouse to which it belongs.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: 1st Order Fresnel - Anyone know where you can buy one? #28222 07/07/98 08:33 AM
V
Vermonter Offline
V
No lens - but I got this great bridge in Brooklyn . . .

Paul F. - VTer
^^^^^
@ @

Re: 1st Order Fresnel - Anyone know where you can buy one? #28223 07/07/98 12:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sean - This lens would not be hidden away in a private collection. It would be VERY MUCH available to the public. It would actually be in the position of educating a lot of people who would probably never see a 1st order and don't understand the value of our wonderful lighthouse heritage. It might end up being one of the most viewed lenses in the world by virtue of it's potential location. Who knows we might even wake up some folks in government who live in their ignorance. We would have nothing to do with it if the lens was to be hidden away and not used to educate. I do appreciate your comments and thoroughly understand them.

JTimothyA - We understand your comment about depriving the lighthouse of it's lens, as you know, it's hard enough to keep the lighthouses and lenses we have considering our governments attitude. My friend's and I would only do this if it was a lens that would otherwise not be available to the public or wanted by a lighthouse preservation; such as the first order lens in downtown Cambria, California that was saved from destruction a few years ago by the towns people. Also, the folks who are looking are very large contributors to lighthouse preservation. All four of us take our national heritage very seriously; especially our lighthouses. We even had an antique dealer tell us that if Hatteras goes down he might be able to get ahold of at least part of the lens. I don't even want to tell you what I said to him; I am afraid I lost hold of the fact that I am a lady when he told me that. If we ever hear of that happening, we will post his name and phone number to the lighthouse community to go into action. You are probably asking, so why is Hatteras different - simply because we know that there are enough of us out there who care that this would never be allowed to happen. Unfortunately this is not always the case, as was the situation of the lens in Cambria.

We realize that the availability of an American light is probably next to impossible. We have already determined that if one is available it will probably be from somewhere else in the world, possibly eastern Europe. We will do nothing unless we know that the lens we may someday find will otherwise not be put to good use, ie, our world heritage of lighthouses, education, etc.

We hope this makes you guys feel better about us. We take our heritage VERY seriously. Otherwise we wouldn't plan every vacation we take around a lighthouse.

[This message has been edited by Michael and Karen Power.]

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,037 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users