I received this as an e-mail from Karri Ward, Asst. City Clerk, St. Marks Florida:

Quote:
The effort to save the St. Marks lighthouse has been a long coming problem for St. Marks. The lighthouse is in need of repairs very badly, but the U.S. Coast Guard that owns the light house seems really not to care.

On your site it says that the St. Marks Lighthouse is owned by the St.Marks Wildlife Refuge. This is an incorrect statement. The lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard, though the Refuge is willing to take over the lighthouse with some of the much needed repairs completed.

The County and many of its citizens were appalled when the Coast Guard told the Refuge that they were going to take out the 12 mile light and install a 4 mile light. Please read my
newsletter below for more information.

Karri
Assistant City Clerk
St. Marks Florida
(850) 925-6224
--------------
Lighthouse Meeting.

Wednesday, December 7, 1999, Karri attended the St. Marks Lighthouse Advisory Committee Meeting. The purpose of this meeting, was to help save the 12-mile light, that shines within the lighthouse walls.

The US. Coast Guard has told the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge that they are planning to take out the 12-mile light, and install a small 4-mile light. The new light would not shine the entire canal like the 12-mile light does now, and would prevent local fishermen, from navigating the canal at night.

The meeting was a bit unorganized and many did not get to speak, but it was somewhat informal. It seemed to me, despite this, that this committee is really trying to do something to
save the lighthouse.

Two petitions are circulating the St. Marks area to save the lighthouse, started by Karri and Captain Adams. Not counting Karri's there is more than 400 signatures. We will give these to Alan Boyd personally next week (Dec 13th, 1999).

Unfortunately, as always, there were some people that showed up for the meeting, that did not know what was going on. One gentleman thought that the Coast Guard was going to just take out the light and make a museum of the lighthouse and put the light downstairs for show.

Captain Adams, who I think was a bit upset by the gentleman's words, sat down at the table and told him, the real reason we were meeting. He even gave him a very interesting visual aide with some glasses of water and tea.

I had assumed that the gentleman would leave after he had realized that he did not know what was going on at all. Luckily, once it was explained that we were trying to keep the water way's
safe for the boaters, and the real reason that we were meeting to save the lighthouse, he stayed. He even joined in with the efforts of the committees after lunch.

Knowing that even people that do not know the whole story they are willing to listen and still get involved warmed my heart. This small act of listening and participating made me feel like maybe others, who did not know would listen as well. Too bad Captain Adams cannot give everyone, and the Coast Guard, the same visual aide.

Lighthouse Update

Mr. Burnett, spoke with Chief Hensler, Thursday, December 9, 1999 about the lighthouse. Chief Hensler was unfortunately unable to attend the meeting Tuesday meeting, due to a conflict in meeting times. Chief Hensler informed Mr. Brunet that they held a FLAG meeting and the $150,000 for the lighthouse is still in the budget.

Unfortunately, it is the second priority behind the hurricane-damaged Destin seawall. The final test to see if the lighthouse will get the money is the POP board meeting in April.

The 15,000 dollars allotted for the repair of the lighthouse roof, has been postponed until April. This is probably due to the delays in repair approvals from the State Historic Preservation Officer.

Florida Lighthouse Association

The Florida Lighthouse Association's annual campaign this year will be for the St. Marks Lighthouse. They will send out a request to more than 6,000 corporations, businesses, and many individuals. Unfortunately, the St. Marks Wildlife Refuge cannot spend the money until the US. Coast Guard turns the lighthouse over to the Refuge. This of course, and the free time and materials that will be donated, will help maintain and repair the Lighthouse in the future.