cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cedar Island, NY Status #28206 06/26/99 11:28 PM
Wildbird99 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi folks,

I visited the Cedar Island light today and spoke to some lighthouse people about the possibility of restoration, and thought some of you might be interested in some notes about the future of this Long Island light.

A few folks have been working with me on looking at the possibility of restoration. We've even formed a group called Friends Of Cedar Island Lighthouse and have an e-mail list (Contact me if you're interested in this).

The first problem is that the light is not on the National Register of Historic Places. Nor is it listed in the Historic American Buildings Survey/Historical American Engineering Record (HABS/HAER). This lack of recognition as an important American historical site hurts any possibility of restoration. We're beginning to look into getting the light listed. It won't be easy, but it can be done.

Another problem is that there was a haphazard attempt at restoration ten years ago by a businessman who seems to have been interested in the light primarily as his own residence. Suffolk County can be expected to be gun-shy and suspicious of any more attempts. Preparation and patience will be needed.

Yet another problem will be the cost. The entire interior of this beautiful structure was oak. It ALL burned out in the 1974 fire. Estimates ten years ago were around $1.5 million. Add inflation and the continuing deterioration of the light's roof, lantern room, foundation, and oil house, plus the nastiness that's inside from nesting birds, and I expect we'll be looking at around $2 million. Ouch. That sort of money can be found, especially in an area like the Hamptons, but proper preparation and planning are once again the key.

Looking for another obstacle? How about the endangered birds which nest on the peninsula? Again, this can be overcome, but it will take time and effort.

And let's not forget the problems of accessibility, vandalism, and lack of electricity and water at the lighthouse.

Despite all these nasty obstacles, I'm becoming optimistic about the light's future. In conducting research and interviews for my bvook and web site, I've been able to establish some good relationships with Long Island's lighthouse preservation folks. Most of them are very nice people who really care about history and know how to get things done. If you have ever had the opportunity to really look at the efforts at Fire Island, Montauk Point, Horton Point and the Bug Light, you can see what's possible on Long Island. And the Huntington Harbor light is still moving along with its restoration (It'd make a nice HL, by the way).

It won't be quick, easy or cheap to save the Cedar Island light, but at least the process has been started.

If you're interested in being a part of this, let me know. You don't need to do anything - you can just be on the e-mail list for info and updates - but if you can offer any research help or have any skills which you feel might help, it would be welcomed.

I'm working on an area on my web site for this project. Watch for it in about a month.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: Cedar Island, NY Status #28207 01/19/03 04:40 PM
K
kscroope Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
K
For updates on what has happened with this lighthouse, see Restore Cedar Island Lighthouse

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 900 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users