Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28116 02/20/00 01:17 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Don't bother to go to Currituck Beach light this spring. Under renovation and off limits. Did get a beautiful view of her at dusk flashing from the pier at the INN AT COROLLA LIGHT. Cold front approaching with low cloud and Canada geese flying low over the sound. Their calls made it a perfect view of this famous light.

Anyone know from where the money came to renovate Currituck Light?

Bodie Island can be seen inside at the bottom of the stairs. No climbing due to stairway metal fatigue. All money going to Hatteras. CG turning over to Park Service but will be a long process. I was told the paperwork is stuck on someones desk and is not moving forward.

Inside the temperature was about 40 degrees and outside was 70 degrees. Interior walls and floors were wet with condensation, like a tomb. Gravedigger would have been right at home. Was told that all donations to the OBLS go only to Hatteras right now. The oil and work rooms along with the climb to the bottom of the metal staircase gave one a sense of a keepers life in this lonely place.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN AN EFFORT WILL BE MADE TO SAVE THIS LIGHT? When donation will be collected for this effort? Park Service personnel did not have a clue.

What is the story in the spelling of the light inside as "Body's"? Anyone know?

MOBY

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28117 02/20/00 05:48 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hey Robert,
You have just visited two of my favorite places on Earth. Maybe Currituck's money came from the fee they charge to climb the light? As for the name Body's Island. That was the original name. Some one who couldn't spell or did not like the spelling of it changed it to Bodie. At least that's what I was always told when I asked.

As an aside I wish I was there. Your discription of Currituck with the gray clouds and geese flying over relly remind me of Winter days when I lived in Kill Devil Hills.

Eric
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28118 02/20/00 10:51 PM
M
Mike Thompson Offline
M
On a Notice to Mariners dated May 1859, the spelling is Body's Island. I'm not sure when or why the spelling changed.

Mike

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28119 02/21/00 02:04 PM
Brent Offline
Hey, Moby....do you have any idea when the Carrituck renovations will be completed? Sometime in the summer??

------------------
Brent

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28120 02/22/00 08:38 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have just inquired about the status of the Bodie Island changeover from the Coast Guard to the national Park Service with the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society. I am also sending this WEB page to them. We need a grass roots movement to activate renovation of this light. Can I count on anyone of you out there to help in this effort if I manage to get somehting started?

To enter this old light this past weekend and not be able to follow the route my great grandfather took years ago was a haunting experience. She is shut up like a tomb, rusting away because no windows were open to dry out the inside. How depressing. Just being able to go inside and see the work room, oil room and staircase was a most uplifting experience. It made my weekend.

I'll keep you guys and gals posted on my efforts. If enough of us show an interest, who knows what will happen.

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28121 02/22/00 07:17 PM
R
Robert M. Dick III Offline
R
I fully support the movement of my father to preserve Bodie Island.

My great-great-grandfather, Peter G. Gallop, kept this light for many years. In fact, I still enjoy listening to my grandmother tell stories of how she had to take her shoes off before entering, and she tells enchanting tales of how she used to slide down the bannister. The lighthouse is truly a beautiful one. I enjoy catching a glimpse of her from Oregon Inlet and South Nags Head each time I am on the Outer Banks. For me, the lighthouse represents yesteryear and family pride.

If anyone else would like to join the movement to help preserve this light, please let us know. I too, would like to walk the same steps as my great-great-grandfather. Lets gear up to give Body Island Light what she deserves.

--
Robert M. Dick, III
Randolph-Macon College
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28122 02/22/00 07:59 PM
Art Offline
Welcome to the Fora, Moby III

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=42289&a=282922&p=10899684&Sequence=1[/img]

I visited your family treasure last Memorial Day weekend and very much enjoyed it. The outside of the structure appeared to be in fine shape. I'm very sorry to hear of the internal decay. I live quite a distance away so my elbow grease will be in short supply, but I am very interested in helping preserve this beautiful landmark. Let me know what I can do.

I can understand the OBLS monies being funneled to Hatteras as she was in imminent danger, and that enormous job is still not quite finished. Sounds like the next beneficiary is going to be Currituck. I'm not sure if OBLS funds are being used for that one, just guessing. However, soon there may again be an opportunity for Bodie to benefit.

Any action will probably take a while as all parties sort out new responsibilities and interactions, and as a plan for Bodie's future is defined. Hopefully, by the time all of the bureaucratic wrangling is done, the OBLS will be ready for the next project, and it will be Bodie's turn.

One idea: We can vote for Bodie as the next Wacko Pin beneficiary. However, we don't even need to wait for that. Maybe the OBLS can help set up a sub-account for the express benefit of Bodie? Just a thought, but I'd guess they'd rather tackle one project at a time with a common pool of funds. If someone will be setting up a foundation for Bodie soon, I'm sure there will be plenty of Forumites willing to contribute. I will be among them.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28123 02/23/00 08:29 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the suggestion Art. I will pursue that angle to at least get something started. Hey Rob! Looks like you're hooked. Thanks for the post.

Moby/Dad

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28124 02/23/00 02:09 PM
R
Robert M. Dick III Offline
R
Thank you, Art! That was a good suggestion, indeed. I think we need form something now, rather than later. I am willing to put some time into designing a web page for the cause.

It is my understanding that before any restoration is done, the light will have to be officially in the hands of the Park Service. I guess that is the next step. After this is accomplished, I would like to pursue setting up a fund for Bodie, and even volunteering work for the cause.

--
Robert M. Dick, III
Randolph-Macon College
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28125 02/23/00 08:59 PM
LamarB Offline
Like Art, I'm pretty far away for contributing elbow grease, too. I belong to OBLHS and you can count me in on support of Bodie Island LH restoration.

BTW, Welcome III.

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 02-23-2000).]

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28126 02/24/00 03:36 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Here is the text of a 12/29/99 news update from Cheryl Roberts of the OBLHS. I am posting the whole message instead of just an excerpt because it does address several questions that have been raised in the fora lately.

Dave

"Hello, everyone,

The Outer Banks Lighthouse Society wishes you and your family a wonderful
Holiday Season and a Happy New Year.

This past year has been a special one for lighthouse enthusiasts for several reasons. Foremost, the relocation of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse,coming at the end of the twentieth century, is one of those miracles for which we can usually only wish. The New Year promises to see the Hatteras Lighthouse reopened for climbing and improvements to the grounds well under way. We wish the same care for all American lighthouses.

At the moment, Bodie Island Light Station is held by the Office of Management and Budget after transfer from the General Services
Administration, which reported a property appraisal of one million dollars for this lighthouse. The National Park Service is still waiting to hear if the tower will be transferred to park ownership as Ocracoke was given to the park's guardianship last year. The NPS owns all the surrounding
property at the Bodie Island Light Station and the U.S. Coast Guard maintains the lens and light.

The society's wish list includes the omplete restoration of Bodie Island Lighthouse and its opening for climbing. It is one of the most classic, extant light stations in the United States.

Cape Lookout is in need of further brick and ironwork repair, especially in the lantern room area, and erosion once again threatens the Keepers Quarters. The Coast Guard still has ownership of this lighthouse. The Ocracoke Light Station is in need of repair also; as you can see, there is much work to be done. We welcome your suggestions and support.

For those of you recently joining us, please see our official website at URL=http://www.outer-banks.com/lighthouse-society.]http://www.outer-anks.com/lighthouse-society.[/URL] Also, please look at our "Forum" (second button on left on this web page) and feel welcome to submit articles and images for posting to the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society, P.O.
Box 1005 Morehead City, NC 28557 or you can email: society@ncnets.net
Membership inquiries and donations go to: Membership Director c/o 6625
Candlewood Drive Charlotte, NC 28210 or email: web3755@charweb.org
Correspondence is promptly answered.

An archive of Hatteras relocation bulletins are still located at URL=http://ecnews.outer-banks.com]http://ecnews.outer-banks.com[/URL] Click on the "Back Issues" button to your left.

Hats off to the Conservationists, Inc., the nonprofit group restoring the Currituck Beach Light Station. Another salute goes to the Old Baldy Foundation, making ongoing improvements to the Bald Head Light Station!

Thank-you to each one of you who has expressed support for American lighthouses! Here's to a banner year 2000 for people helping with lighthouses, the American symbol of humanity. Like people, lighthouses come in all shapes and sizes and have distinctive personalities.

May the New Year greet you with the warmth of a lighthouse beam, and may you always find safe harbor.
The Outer Banks Lighthouse Society"

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 02-24-2000).]

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28127 02/24/00 07:59 PM
LamarB Offline
Since this topic came up I did some investigating on the situation at Bodie Island lighthouse right now.

The National Park Service is waiting for a transfer of the tower to them. Maybe the transfer papers are stuck on someone's desk, who knows? At any rate, ownership is a big issue right now.

In addition, there's another new superintendent trying to ‘come up to speed’ on the situation. And as if that weren’t enough, the National Park Service is trying to work on the Wright Brothers Memorial to prepare it and the surrounding area for a big event in 2003.

People are coming to Bodie Island in droves to see it and it's this kind of public pressure that will get it restored. Approximately $85,000 is needed to stabilize the stairs, but this alone may not be what can open it and earn money like Currituck did years ago to begin their outstanding restoration. Most of the ironwork is weak and may present too many safety problems to allow public access anytime soon.

All the money is NOT going to Cape Hatteras! It'll take time to get that light station in top form, then perhaps full attention can be given Cape Lookout AND Bodie Island.

Those wishing to express their sentiments and concern can email bob_woody@nps.gov
and perhaps request a copy of the email be forwarded to the new superintendent, Francis Peltier.

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28128 02/24/00 08:12 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Lamar,

That is exactly the info we need. I knew I could count on this bunch to help get the ball rolling. And roll it will for Bodie Island has gathered enough moss and enough is enough. Again Lamar, we are indepted to you for the previous post.

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28129 02/24/00 08:35 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Lamar,

I just e-mailed Mr. Woody. Thanks

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28130 02/25/00 08:47 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
For those who are interested, I have just made an inquiry with OBLS if they are going to start a fund for the preservation of Bodie Island? I'll keep you posted.

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28131 02/27/00 02:58 PM
LamarB Offline
It seems to me the best way to help Bodie Island LH is to join and become an active member of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society. Having been a member for some time, I've found this group to be very active locally and nationally, well organized and well informed. OBLHS is THE advocate for all the lighthouses on the Outer Banks. They have effective leadership. They seem to enjoy an excellent rapport with the National Park Service as well as the USCG. The newsletter is the best I've ever seen.

In other words, it seems to me the best course of action to help Bodie Island, Currituck or any LH's on the Outer Banks is to join OBLHS and help make it stonger and even more effective rather than start from scratch and re-invent the wheel.

What do you think?

------------------
Keepin' the flame

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 02-27-2000).]

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28132 02/28/00 02:19 AM
Brent Offline
I agree. 'Great Organization!!!!

------------------
Brent

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28133 02/28/00 03:55 PM
Art Offline
Lamar,

I agree that a new organization should not be formed unless the current one is not getting the job done. That does not appear to be the case from my vantage. We certainly do not need bickering between two or more entities to inhibit progress and waste funds.

I suggested above only to suggest to OBLHS that a sub-fund specifically aimed at Bodie restoration be set up. Along with that I would include sub-funds for each of the other OB Lighthouses. My thinking is that being able to specify where funds are used might bring in more total dollars. One thing that bugged me (even though I understand the reasoning) when I visited Cape Henry was the fact that none of my donation would actually be used on Old Cape Henry. It went to other Chesapeake lights as decided by that organization (also a fine organization, btw). Cape Henry appears to be something of a cash cow. I'm sure that in the grand scheme of things there are more pressing needs among the Chesapeake lights than Henry. Somehow though, I think I would have given more if I knew it would directly benefit the light that I was visiting at the moment.

I certainly understand the viewpoint of allowing the OBLHS their right to concentrate funds and make decisions. I just wonder if more couldn't be raised with another approach, especially on the Outerbanks where *all* the lights are highly visited, and there are only a handful of them. That's very different than the Chesapeake situation where they need to protect many and more obscure lights, too. In the Chesapeake region, targeted funding wouldn't work except at the expense of these more obscure lights. However, I think it can work on the Outerbanks. Just a thought.

Carry on, OBLHS.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28134 02/28/00 05:41 PM
Brent Offline
As a member of both of those fine organizations, Art, I think you've made a "Good Point"! ....B

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28135 02/28/00 08:01 PM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I'm surprised it took me this long to comment on this subject, seeing as how much I love Bodie Island. I agree with Art. Each Lighthouse needs a separate fund. I know for a fact everytime I have been to Bodie Island I have looked for a donation kettle. I have never seen one. I know there is one at Hatteras, and of course currituck gets money from thier small fee to climb the light. I just wish they would place a donation box at Bodie, with a note saying funds given here would be used on that site. If they did I know I have about 20 years worth of donations that I would happily chatch up on!! As a member of the OBLHS I think that if enough of us members asked for such a thing we could get it. I know I would happily donate more than the yearly fee if they would setup individual funds for each light. Each member would be giving the chance to donate extra to their favorite light each year when they renew. that would leave the regular fund open for use anywhere needed and a special fund for each light. Failing that they could select a different light each year, and have all extra donations used to help that light. The next year select another light.

Just a few thoughtd from the mind of WEASEL58

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 02-28-2000).]

Eric
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28136 02/29/00 02:40 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
FWIW-

Cape Henry is owned and maintained by the Association for the Preservations of Virginia Antiquities. I would presume donations there are for overal APVA use, unless they designate.

Currituck is under the care ofthe Outer Banks Conservationists. Presume they are funding the repairs and conducting their own fund raising.

Bald Head is on a private island and owned by the Old Baldy Association.

Oak Island is in the middle of an active CG station and Price's Creek is isolated on private property.

That leaves Bodie, Hatteras and Ocracoke. (Add Cape Lookout in the general area also, since many group all the NC lights into the Outer Banks umbrella.)Not sure about whether CG or NPS owns Hatteras, but that is a mute point now. CG still owns the other 3 and they are managed by the NPS.

The NPS has Bodie and Lookout in the wings to repair and open. CG is to transfer Bodie to NPS. From what I have read, I would expect that as soon as the NPS owns Bodie it will put the wheels in motion to begin work. I can understand that they don't want to invest their bucks until they own the tower. Hatteras will be hopefully complete and efforts will turn to the next major project. If the NPS folks are on the ball, they will buildon the success of the Hatteras move to keep everyone excited about the OB area lighthouses and will get the funding to start work on Bodie, Lookout and Ocracoke.

I'm sure all of us will be willing to ante up and help the efforts to open Bodie's tower to be climbed, as well as Lookout and Ocracoke. I look forward to the day we are all excited and making plans for those special trips to the OB to celebrate!

imho,
Dave

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28137 03/01/00 08:33 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Lamar, Dave, Art, Brent and Weasel for your helpful comments. I too do not want to invent the watch, just find out what time it is. Separate funds within the fund would help stimulate interest and participation, I agree. That is exactly what I was looking for. A way for myself and others to feel that what we do and contribute would have an impact on the lights we love the most.

OBLS does not respond quickly to e-mails if at all. This is why I resorted to this forum plus I knew from past experience that we are made up a very strange breed in our love for these old relics of our past. America's castles!

Just think what we have learned about lighthouses since we started collecting Harbour Lights. For me, they have been a real educational tool. Even an outline of a light can bring me instant identity from looking at these models. And the increased history acquired is unreal.

Again thanks for your help with this matter. I will press on with the OBLS group to make Bodie climbable once more.

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28138 03/01/00 10:17 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
As with a few of the others who reponded to this post, wish I lived closer to this beautiful beacon. Would love to grab the tools and pitch in.

I will be joining the Outer banks Society so at least I can do something to help.

If a special fund is created to help I will donate there as well.

Trying to keep the flame from miles away!!

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28139 03/01/00 06:40 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks Mike,

Keep her northern sister clean and bright.

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28140 03/01/00 09:19 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
these old relics of our past. America's castles!

Moby,

Isn't there a show out there on one of the "specialty" channels called America's Castles? Want to raise awareness of the plight of these castles of sorts maybe we could figure out who does the show and suggest a segment (or actually, several) on our castles!

Dave

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28141 03/01/00 11:39 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
"America's Castles" is on A&E. They generally show 3 "castles" per 1 hour episode. And that dude with the bow ties is always on the show. A&E has a website. We could all send them our suggestions. We seem to have plenty of regional experts on the lights we could sub for the bow tie guy!
http://www.aetv.com/

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28142 03/09/00 11:42 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Art, Brent, Weasel, Lamar, etc. I have received no communication from OBLHS. Have a name for me to call.

Moby

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28143 03/17/00 11:00 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Anyone have a name of a responsible party in this matter?

Moby

ANYONE!!!!

Moby
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28144 03/19/00 02:31 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert M Dick:
Art, Brent, Weasel, Lamar, etc. I have received no communication from OBLHS. Have a name for me to call.

Moby

Moby, sorry, somehow I missed your first post. If you'll email me a telephone number where you can be reached, I'll pass it on to a responsible party. Please note if this is a daytime or evening number.

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28145 03/20/00 09:17 AM
RezmanDale Offline
My Dream Vacation has always been to take a few weks off and spend the time working with a restoration team on a lighthouse. I am over due for my sebatical and would be glad to take three or four weeks or more to work on this project if volunteers are needed. It seems to me the the OBLS and the Parks Service tend to contract out this type of work. If, however, a group of volunteers is needed, count me in.

One of my main jobs as Executive Director of the American Indian Christian Misson is to co-ordinate work teams that come here to build our school facilities and churches on the reservations. I have learned a lot of construction in the procrss, as well as restoration (remodeling). Would be more then happy to put my aquired skills to use in this way.

Keep us posted on the pr0gress with this effort; when, and if, a special subfund is set up for each of these lights.

BTW I too want to welcome III to the forum, what a great way to get started on the road to wackodom!

Dale|:-{

[This message has been edited by DALE LAWRENCE (edited 03-20-2000).]

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28146 03/20/00 06:30 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by LamarB:
Moby, sorry, somehow I missed your first post. If you'll email me a telephone number where you can be reached, I'll pass it on to a responsible party. Please note if this is a daytime or evening number.

I contacted the OBLHS person responsible for email responses from their web page. I gave them your email address from your Forum Profile. OBLHS is a class outfit manned totally by dedicated volunteers. Albeit from a distance, I know they're conscientious in answering all email and they assured me they'd be in touch with you immediately.

Hope this helps.

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28147 03/21/00 06:34 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Sean,

e-mail me the contact, I'd love to join.

Dale|:-{

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28148 04/06/00 07:24 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by LamarB:
I contacted the OBLHS person responsible for email responses from their web page. I gave them your email address from your Forum Profile. OBLHS is a class outfit manned totally by dedicated volunteers. Albeit from a distance, I know they're conscientious in answering all email and they assured me they'd be in touch with you immediately.

Hope this helps.

Moby, I did not hear from you.

I just heard back from the OBLHS inquiry I made on your behalf on 03/23/00. They've repeatedly emailed you before and since and have had no response from you either. What's going on here?

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28149 06/03/00 02:54 AM
Art Offline
The current issue of Lighthouse News (Spring, 2000) from the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society offers the following:

Quote:
The society has created a fund for Bodie Island. When you make a donation to the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society, let us know if you would like it used specifically for Cape Hatteras or Bodie Island. For printing of the newsletter and responses mailed to teachers and students, your donation to the General Fund is also greatly appreciated! Money for membership dues or your donation can be sent to Betty Parrish 6625 Candlewood Drive Charlotte, NC 28210

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28150 06/03/00 09:29 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hey Art....that's quite a picture up above in this thread! I must have missed it when you first posted it. Keep up the great photo work!

Bob

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28151 06/03/00 11:08 AM
Torchbearer Offline
Lamar... just some words regarding OBLHS. They are a wonderful group, and do a lot of great work. I have recently become a member because of their great efforts. Bill Parrish, who is OBLHS' treasurer, also heads up our local collector's club. If anyone out there is interested, you may e-mail them at society@ncnets.net. Annual membership is $15.00 for an individual, $25.00 for a family, and $40.00 corporate. For joining, you will receive a frameable 5 x 7 photo of the Hatteras Lighthouse move, logo sticker, quarterly newsletter (which always has a lot of great information), and membership card!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Currituck, Bodie Island 2/19/00 #28152 06/04/00 12:14 AM
LamarB Offline
I agree with Torchbearer Tim. I've belonged to OBLHS for sevral years and their quarterly newsletter is the best I've seen yet.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,420 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users