Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28020 03/24/00 11:20 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
On Saturday March 18th, about 25 volunteers showed up at the Saginaw River Rear Range Light to see what lie ahead of them. For many, including myself, it was the first time inside this lighthouse which is trapped on private property, having no public access.

To say I was excited is an understatement. The weather was perfect. It was sunny and warm for Michigan in March.

With the lighthouse on DOW Chemical property, access is strict. We had to meet at the old U.S.C.G. access gate and lock it behind us after we entered. Arriving at the site, we gathered and listened to a brief presentation on the history of the light and on work needing to be done outside. Work like taking up all of the old concrete and any stones lying around that could be use to break out new windows. A brush hog is going to be brought in to clear the grounds of weeds and overgrowth.

Inside the lighthouse it was dark. Electricity has long been cut to the building, but it wouldn't have mattered as vandals have taken all of the light switches, fixtures, sockets, bulbs, everything! Also missing was doors, wood work, sinks, toilets, cabnets, pretty much anything and everyhing. Someone even tried taking the shower enclosure.

As bad as it sounds though, it is not. First and formost, Dow is footing the bill for the restoration. Other work is being donated by groups and businesses. For example, there is some asbestos needing removal. This work is being donated.

We will get started in April by removing all of the existing plumbing, electrical, and scrap lying around. Windows will be placed and a new roof added. Since the light is on the National Register of Historic Places, care has to be taken to keep certain things looking original, and we are working with them on that. The structure is sound. Brick work on the outside is in good shape and on the interior there hasn't been a mold or mildew problem, nor has there been a problem with birds, droppings or rodents.

Things are looking up! Work will begin soon and there will be more reports to follow.

Rather than use up valuable forum disk space by posting individual photos here, I have linked to all of my photos. It will also save time in loading this thread.

To view the photos click below:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=45392&a=3065726

Thanks for following this work in progress!

-Todd

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28021 03/25/00 01:22 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing the info Todd. Wow, looks like a lot of work ahead. May be a lot of lead in that blistering paint you caught in one of the photos.

How were the volunteers selected? Was there community publicity about restoring the lighthouse?

The tapering four sided tower is quite unique. Can anyone think of other towers shaped like that?

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28022 03/25/00 01:43 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing your story and photos with us Todd. I wish you and your group success with your endeavors. If I were closer I'd come over and help pick up some of those rocks!

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28023 03/25/00 02:16 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Great start to your restoration efforts - Dow willing to pay for the work! How often does the group plan to work on the light?

Thanks to you and all your fellow volunteers Todd. Perhaps someday soon we will all be able to visit this interesting light.

Dave

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28024 03/25/00 03:06 AM
Art Offline
Thanks Todd. Glad to see that your 'baby' is finally going to get the attention it deserves. I'm so glad that you will get to be a part of it. I wish I could. too. Tough commute for me, though. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28025 03/25/00 02:25 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks Todd. S.R.R.R.L has always been one of my favorites. 'Glad to see Dow taking an interest in its restoration. Quite a "change of heart" from what I remember a few years back. I wish that I lived closer so that I could be a part of the activities. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see some progress when I get up there in September. Good Luck to you and the other volunteers involved!!! (btw...thanks for the gr8 photos...sure brings back allot of memories) Keep us posted......

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 03-25-2000).]

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28026 03/25/00 04:01 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
In my first post, I had so much information that I wanted to convey, that I missed much of it. Plus, I was excited and in a hurry to get it posted which messed up my already messed up thought processes. So, in answer to some of your questions, let me sum things up a little.

This project is a joint venture of Dow Chemical and the Saginaw River Marine Historical Society. It took some time to work out the details, but when it came to public light that the lighthouse was actually going to be restored, there was some local media coverage in the newspaper and on television news. The goal is not to restore the light to its original 1800's state, but rather to the look from around the 1950's when the structure underwent some reonvation. Lack of photos from the early days would make it most difficult to replicate the look from that period, and the idea is to get people to come out once then come back later for more visits. By turning the lighthouse into a museum and research center with rotating exhibits and displays, visitors would have a reason to come back over and over again, rather than viewing the interior in 1800's peroid dress once and not coming back. Been there, seen that, we can see that at the local downtown historical museum.

There really isn't any criteria for selecting voulnteers that I am aware of. They are letting me work..... Seriously, anyone who wants to be a part can come out and work on the project. Initially, it is going to be very dirty and labor intensive work. Last I heard, there are about 30-40 people interested in working. About 20-25 showed up last week and hopefully none were scared away. It was thought that maybe the Boy Scouts could come out to help in the process, but Dow nixed that. They had concerns about the kids getting injured or falling into the cut where the U.S.C.G. docked their craft. Right now it looks like most of the work will be done on weekends, although some weekday work sessions are not out of the question. The problem lies with access to Dow property. With the lighthouse situated on their property, security and gate control is of the utmost importance. We are not allowed to go out there during the week to work alone. Volunteers must enter then lock the gate behind.

There is a lot of lead paint flaking off out there and some asbestos. The asbestos work will be done by a licensed company. As far as the lead paint, as much as possible it will be left in place and not disturbed. Drywall will be placed over it covering the paint and eliminating scraping labor in the process. Where it will need to be scraped off, all of the proper safety equipment will be provided to voulnteers.

John mentioned the shape of the tower. It is interesting to note that while the outside of the tower is square or oblisk in shape, the interior is round. The spirial stairs run in a tube from the ground to the lantern room. It is the only stairway in the structure which makes another interesting observation. It must have been a pain moving furnature up an down those stairs to the living areas. Each floor is also seperated from the stairs by a heavy steel door on each level. We are assuming this is in case of fire racing from a lower floor, up the stair shaft like a chimney. The steel door could be closed, offering protection to those on the floor who couldn't escape because the stairs (the only way in and out) were blocked by fire.

The Saginaw River was abandonded by the U.S. Coast Guard in 1980. It was held by the govenrment for a few years before private interests took possession. It was then that the vandals had their day. It is very sad that all of the brass is gone. Woodwork, fixtures, and even worthless cheap paneling added in the 70's to the bedrooms has been stripped from the walls. Even one of the massive steel doors seperating the floors has been pilfered. What makes someone take a toilet or a light switch? It seems to me that teens or young vandals would destroy things, not take them. Even stranger, there is not vehicle access to the lighthouse by the public, meaning things would have to be removed by boat. Sad.

Anyway, I will keep everyone updated on the progress of the work with more posts here in the forum. Thanks for sharing in my excitement with this project.

Keep the Flame!

-Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 03-26-2000).]

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28027 03/26/00 03:56 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Todd

It is always exciting to hear of another lighthouse being restored. Good luck on this project! Not surprising that someone on these forums is actively working on a restoration. Wish I could be there to help.

Dale

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28028 04/17/00 03:19 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just a little update on the project so far:

While prep work has been ongoing (hooking up electricity, lighting, ect...), the volunteer force is slated to start work April 29th.

When the U.S. Coast Guard vacated the station in the 1980's, they removed from the lighthouse many items, not the least of which was the ventilator ball! These items are on display at the new U.S.C.G. Station across the river from the lighthouse. Our group is hoping they will part with the ventilator ball so it can be put back in its place on the top of the lighthouse.

Did you know that they make shingles specifically for lighthouses? While they are very expensive, they are guaranteed to withstand winds of 120 M.P.H. and last for 75 years. The S.R.R.R.L. will be getting her roof covered in these.

If you have seen pictures of the lighthouse,
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=45392&a=1643223

you probably noticed the ugly tower/ladder, surrounded by a protective cage, that that juts above the lantern room. This was used by the Coast Guard as a tower for radio antennas and weather monitoring equipment. This tower will be removed giving the lighthouse a much cleaner and original appearence.

Thanks for following my reports. More will be forthcoming as the work progresses.

-Todd

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28029 04/17/00 03:33 PM
Torchbearer Offline
Todd... thanks so much for the update, as well as the photos. It's always great to see progress being made in the restoration process. You have got to watch out for those Coasties... active or retired. We/they tend to be scrounges. If they refuse to give up the ventilator ball, just use the old timeless bargaining tool... about 5 pounds of coffee! LOL

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28030 04/17/00 03:47 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't know how I missed your previous posts but I'm glad I noticed it this time.
It sounds like a preview of of what we have and what we will be running into at Plum Island - only the funding will not be readily there. The lighthouse looks very different. From one angle of your pictures, it almost looks like a warehouse with a tower on it.
Good luck Todd, I'll be anxiously reviewing your progress! We've found the Coast Guard to be most cooperative in our area, so i'm sure you can get your ventilator ball back. When my org rebuilt Long Beach Bar they reproduced the ventalator ball. Later a neighbor of the Lighthouse brought in the original ventilator ball which is currently on display in the museum. Now ours is filled with concrete but I'm working on removing the concrete getting it back where it belongs.
Bob

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 04-17-2000).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28031 04/19/00 10:22 AM
Brent Offline
'Appreciate the Update, Todd and look forward to getting more from you as the project proceeds forward. As with all LH restoration/preservation projects...this will truly be a Labor-of-Love!!

------------------
Brent

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28032 06/12/00 03:26 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
It has been a while since I updated this project, so here is a quick update of what has transpired in the past few months:

First and foremost, the Saginaw River Rear Range Light is sporting a brand new roof. This is very important as it prevents any further water damage inside the structure.

Secondly, bids are currently being taken for environmental clean-up of both the exterior and interior. (Asbestos, Lead paint, ect...)

A contractor is also expected soon to inspect the windows. Exact replicas are to be made of the few remaining original windows to replace the boarded up, broken windows.

DOW has stated that does not know what the complete cost of the restoration will be, but it is approving funding for each phase of the project on a case-by-case basis.

There are approximately 40 volunteers working on the project, and our goal is to turn the lighthouse into a maritime museum and research library open to the public, but the owners, DOW, states that it has not decided what to do with the lighthouse once the restoration is complete. Public access across their industrial facility isn't very appealing to them, but I think it will all get worked out.

I will post more when it becomes available. Right now, interior work has stopped for the most part due to environmental concerns with lead paint and asbestos.

Keep the Flame,

-Todd

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28033 06/12/00 07:49 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks for the update, Todd. When are the bids for the envionmental-cleanup due? Any guesses as to how much that's going to run? It'll probably be pretty high.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28034 06/13/00 01:07 AM
Art Offline
In acknowledging that they do not know what the final cost will be, the folks at Dow seem to have a very level-headed approach to this project. To me, this seems to be an optimistic sign that while not bottomless, the pockets may be adequately deep.

Thanks for the update, Todd. Hope all continues smoothly for you.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28035 06/13/00 01:55 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the update Todd. In re-reading previous posts concerning the exterior shape of the tower vs. the interior shape I was wondering if it was possible that the first tower was simply incorporated into the new design. Such a thing was done with the Dunkirk, NY light.

It seems a bit strange that Dow is footing the bill for restoration work but not sure if they will allow access once it is completed. You'd think they'd plan to have at least limited access to show it off, good for PR. Well I guess that would be a bridge to cross later if not sooner. Couldn't you get there by boat?

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28036 06/13/00 01:59 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks for the update Todd. I sure hope things continue to go well and that Dow does decide to eventually open the light up to use. I'll look forward to future updates.

Dave

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28037 07/13/00 12:05 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
I spent this past weekend working at the SRRRL. Mostly outdoor work such as mowing the lawn, pulling weeds, and knocking down brush expanding the grounds. Interior work is still awaiting hazardous material clean-up.

DOW Executives held a meeting/picnic at the lighthouse on Tuesday. The grounds were looking good for the people with the money.

In other news, a PBS station has approached our group wanting to do a story on the light since it was the first rear range light in the U.S. and is undergoing a restoration.

The new roof cost approximately $12,000. This is pretty cool: The shingles brand name is Hatteras and sports a picture of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse on the bundle wrapping.

That's all for now. Here is a quick digital snapshot showing the current state of the light as of 7-8-00

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=45392&a=3065726&p=24263746[/img]

-Todd

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28038 07/13/00 08:39 AM
Brent Offline
Thanks for the update, Todd....'sounds like thinks are moving at a good pace, up there! I hope to get the opportunity to see it soon.
P.S. Those "Hatteras" shingles ought to look pretty good on it!!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28039 09/22/00 09:53 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
It has been a few months since my last project update, but this one is a biggie!

A PBS film crew just finished up shooting footage of the Saginaw River Rear Range Light and doing some interviews. It seems we are to be featured in the next installment of the very popular "Legendary Lighthouses" series. How cool is that!

The following is a link to the story that appeared in our local newspaper today. I do not know how long the link will remain active however.

News on SRRRL and Legendary Lighthouses

-Todd

To correct the link.....

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 09-23-2000).]

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28040 09/23/00 12:40 AM
Lorie Roe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Todd--all your hard work must have been worth the effort to now be included in the Legendary Lighthouse series. Congradulations to you and everyone else who worked on the lighthouse restoration. You deserve a BIG thanks!

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28041 09/23/00 01:25 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Great news, Todd. Thanks for sharing it. Because newspapers don't leave their stories up long, I suggest you go to the page and click on the link at the bottom of the page that allows you to email the story to someone. Email it to yourself.

Hey even greater news that the PBS crew was going to head to Port Huron!!!!

Re: Saginaw River - Restoration Effort #28042 09/23/00 03:34 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Lorie,

I am but one volunteer on one of three different volunteer crews working on the project. (I am supposed to be at the lighthouse today helping to clean the basement, instead I am on duty at the fire station )

The man deserving of credit and for giving 110% of effort is the man mentioned in the article: Don Comtois.

He is incredible, giving so much of his time to this an other projects. He will be up in Alpena Michigan for the Great Lakes Lighthouse Festival manning a booth for the Saginaw River Rear Range Light. If you are up that way, stop in and say hello to Don. Tell him Todd Shorkey sent ya'.

-Todd

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users