Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1854 Hatteras Lens to be Returned to it's Pedestal! #27923 07/25/06 04:43 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
The restored 1854 Hatteras Lens that now resides at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum will be returned to it's pedestal in October.

The National Park Service has agreed to allow the museum to move the pedestal that now sits near the top of the 1870 Cape Hatteras lighthouse and reunite it with the Henry-Lepaute lens at the museum.

Jim Woodward, The Lighthouse Consultant, LLC and his team will be doing the work that is expected to take about three weeks.

The Cape Hatteras lighthouse will be extinguished for about a week to allow the move to take place. At the same time, the museum will be getting the remaining cats that are currently on display at the Cape Hatteras bookstore.

My source for this information is Kevin Duffus, author of "The Lost Lens". This is especially exciting news having been part of the "Lampists in Training" team along with Shirin Pagels and others over a year ago when we proudly worked under the direction of Jim Woodward to restore this famous lens.

Kevin Duffus filming the work in progress last year...
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da27b3127cce915cb55401ba00000015108AZtWzNu2ZOH[/img]

Jim Woodward (Woody) and team at work on the 1854 Hatteras Lens last year...
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5da27b3127cce915cb69f41e800000015108AZtWzNu2ZOH[/img]

Judy
Re: 1854 Hatteras Lens to be Returned to it's Pedestal! #27924 11/06/06 01:25 PM
Lighthouser Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
In this morning's paper... Hatteras lens, pedestal reunited

From Kevin Duffus, 10/29...

Quote:
Hi everybody...

I want you to be among the first to see the historic reunion of the 1854 Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Fresnel lens and Henry-Lepaute clockwork mechanism and pedestal at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum. It was a courageous decision by the National Park Service and the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. I am proud that we did not defer this momentous achievement to a succeeding generation. We can feel good about having redeemed the mistakes of the past involving this incredibly elegant, historic, significant but terribly abused and unappreciated machine from the 19th century. There's little doubt that when you see it in person, you'll know we did the right thing. Someday the apparatus will be recognized as one of the greatest of all American lighthouse artifacts. We already know that the pedestal is the largest of all first-order pedestals in the U.S.

It is especially worth noting that the effort, expertise and extreme care of Jim Woodward and his team, Jim Dunlap and Kurt Fosburg was absolutely remarkable. Upon completing the project Woody told me it was by far the most challenging of any lens jobs in his 40 year career. They are without question, the best!

I was there off and on and filmed the action in high-definition and thousands of photos were taken. I expect you'll see and read a lot more about the 3-week project in the coming days and months.

The pedestal and lens may still have a couple of secrets to reveal about its tumultuous and tortured past. My research continues and I will keep you posted.

I hope you'll be able to visit the museum in the near future.

Best Regards,

Kevin Duffus
Looking Glass Productions, Inc.
Raleigh, NC
(919) 845-9244
kevin_duffus@earthlink.net
Kevin\'s Web Site - The Lost Lens
Judy

Judy
Re: 1854 Hatteras Lens to be Returned to it's Pedestal! #27925 11/06/06 04:01 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Nice to know the job is done. Thanks for sharing Kevin's note and picture, Judy.

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,010 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users