Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thacher Island, MA #27672 09/19/99 12:45 AM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Does anyone have a picture or old postcard to put on here of Thacher Island? I received a packet of material from their restoration group, to pass on to our club NELL, for our restoration donation fund. It is located off Rockport, MA. The packet said it was the only twin lights left in the US. The twins at Cape Elizabeth, Maine, don't count anymore, as one tower has been made part of a house. This could be a really neat piece, with two separate towers on one big HL base.

It is unfortunate that volunteers cannot get out to it to stabilize the restoration that has already been done, as their dock was washed away. The Coast Guard has gotten some money from our gov't to build a sturdier cement one, but not enough to complete it. Unique lighthouse set ups like this really need to be saved; and as such would make a historic HL piece.

ladylightkeeper
Re: Thacher Island, MA #27673 09/19/99 08:04 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I have seen Thatcher Island, but only from a distance. My photos were taken from a residential area along the shore line. I may have purchased a postcard some where along the way. I'll check my collection and see if I have one.

I would like to see HL make this light. It would be nice to have another Massachusetts light in the collection.

Bob

Re: Thacher Island, MA #27674 09/19/99 10:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is Thatcher's Island c1915

"TheLightkeeper"

Re: Thacher Island, MA #27675 09/19/99 03:52 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you Lightkeeper for putting on that great old postcard. It sure makes those two lights look impressive. Hl could make them in halves, because of the long span of land between them, but with an end on each piece so that they could be butted together, like a locking jigsaw puzzle, for display purposes.

Wouldn't this be fascinating, if you and others would combine all these old postcards either into a hardcover book or a special webpage of just the "oldies and goodies" of postcard days. Have you been to Jeremy D'Entremont's site to see his old cards for many New England lights. go to www.lighthouse.cc

Thanks for sharing this with us. Barbara

ladylightkeeper
Re: Thacher Island, MA #27676 09/20/99 01:12 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Barbara,

I went and looked at the very site that hosts your NELL pages and found.....

http://www.lighthouse.cc/thacher/index.html

Dave

Re: Thacher Island, MA #27677 09/20/99 01:57 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I have been so busy working on the Wacko pin project that I didn't take the time to look at Jeremy's site. I just clicked onto the Thacher Island site that you so nicely listed here, and read an utterly fascinating history of the lights going back into the 1700's. I hope the rest of the posters will read it. I am sure if Harbour Lights would read it, they would agree that it is one of the more interesting lights, especially being the first lighthouses built to warn ships of dangerous rock areas rather than just a lead-in to a port. As there is again a light of sorts in each tower, it is the only working twins lights in the U.S. The old postcards and his photos were great.

ladylightkeeper

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 863 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users