Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Men in Black II #2739 07/07/02 10:03 AM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Saw MIIB and found Tonny Lee working in the post office. The cool thing was the post office was in a lighthouse. I'm not sure which one or if it exists. It looks alot like Pigeon Pt, but it isn't. Can anyone say if it is an actual lighthouse.

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

bigdragon
Re: Men in Black II #2740 07/07/02 12:13 PM
smcclure Offline
Chuck,

I haven't seen the movie, but I know that there is a post office in Peggy's Cove lighthouse in Nova Scotia. Letters sent from this post office bear a special lighthouse stamp. You might take a look at a picture and see if you recognize it from the film. It's solid white with a red lantern room. Scott

Re: Men in Black II #2741 07/07/02 01:03 PM
DMancini Offline
We had heard that filming was supposed to be done at the Fire Island Lighthouse for this movie, but I'm not sure if it was ever was.

------------------
Diane

Diane
Re: Men in Black II #2742 07/07/02 05:55 PM
shiulong Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Chuck,

I've been trying to post to the forums for days now about this movie however, whatever problems the forum is having causes me not to be able to login. It is the Fire Island lighthouse on Long Island that is portrayed as the postoffice in Truro, MA. I find it funny since there is a lighthouse in Truro that they could have used. Feel free to post this so others know what lighthouse to look for.

Shirin

bigdragon
Re: Men in Black II #2743 07/07/02 11:41 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Shirin
As soon as I saw it I yelled out to my wife Fire Island. She corrected me and said that the sign on the lighthouse saids Truro, MA.
I told her that the movie people think that most people don't know their lighthouses. And they sure won't ever learn if the movie and TV industries can't be more of a teaching tool. There was no reason why the right name couldn't have been used.

Daniel

DANIEL
Re: Men in Black II #2744 07/08/02 08:22 PM
sanibel
sanibel
Yep, it sure is Fire Island. Truro is confusing since it is also known by two other names, Highland and the Cape Cod light. Guess it was too cold or too many tourists were there to film all the way out on the Cape. The Long Island Expressway is much closer for a movie crew than getting everything needed for a camera crew in Cape Cod. If you have ever been to Truro you know that it is not the type of place you just drive leisurely to.
I have to admit I was a bit confused when I saw MIBII and kept thinking they had at least filmed in Mass.
Well, enjoy the movie anyway and at least one lighthouse can enjoy some fame for a while.

Eileen Dunlap
Charlotte, NC
Re: Men in Black II #2745 07/11/02 05:10 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I saw MIB II also. I knew that there was a LH in Truro, but I knew that the one in the movie wasn't correct. I was barely in the door from the movie when I had my books out looking for the answer (which has been indicated above is Fire Island). Perhaps the Fire Island LH was more "picturesque" for their movie! Product placement, as well as background buildings and landmarks are very big business for movies. I sure hope that the Fire Island LH got a royalty for it's use!

chris g

Chris G
Re: Men in Black II #2746 07/11/02 11:53 AM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
There's nothing unusual about using a different Lighthouse in a movie or television - even when there are plenty of real ones.

In the show Providence they had a storyline about a Lighthouse and the person living at it and with all the real Lighthouses in RI they used Pigeon Point with a fake name.

Similar situation in the movie Snow Falling On Cedars- it takes place on an island in Washington State and uses Portland Head as the Lighthouse that is intregal to the storyline.

Happens all the time.

Dennis

Re: Men in Black II #2747 07/11/02 03:18 PM
eskilady Offline
Just recently, I saw a movie called "Summer Catch" with Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jessica Biel that took place in Chatham, MA. They showed a beautiful picture of Chatham Light and I could say - I saw that light!!

Eskilady
Re: Men in Black II #2748 07/11/02 03:34 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Now that's more unusual- they show a light and actually use the correct one. Even more unusual is if they actually identify it for you.

Dennis

Re: Men in Black II #2749 10/19/02 12:27 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Finally saw MIB II on a big screen and was blown away with seeing the Fire Island LH! I forgot about this topic, and was surprised when it appeared. Interior shots looking towards the front door were real. The postal office shots were recreated but the window placements and dimensions in some rooms were very realistic. Of course it was not a PO but well...
Bob

ps the other night in less than 3 minutes I saw 3 lighthouses on TV. Preview for The Ring, an Accura/Lexis? commercial and closing credits on a Castle Rock production!

LONG ISLAND BOB

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,429 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users