Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ship Island Lighthouse #27170 09/21/05 03:01 PM
L
Lazarhynn Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I think that Harbour Lights should consider making a special production of Ship Island Mississippi Lighthouse with the profits going to help the victims of hurricane Katrina.

Re: Ship Island Lighthouse #27171 09/21/05 05:47 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
What a great idea! It could also be done with West Rigolets or Chandeleur Island. The only problem might be getting it together in a timely manner...like all disasters, in a couple months, Hurricane Katrina will fade out of the public eye, and people will forget about it. If you release the piece too late, then you can't bank on the hurricane relief, either to make money for survivors or for HL themselves (they are a company, and no matter what, have to think about their own bottom line.)

If it could work, though, it could be great! smile

Re: Ship Island Lighthouse #27172 09/21/05 09:57 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I think that Harbour Lights should consider making a special production of Ship Island Mississippi Lighthouse with the profits going to help the victims of hurricane Katrina.
Definitely a nice thought but not really doable. If Bill headed for that area today it would probably take a year to 18 months before a piece could be available, and that would be hustling. Then you have to market it and almost guarantee a sell out of a large edition size to make any difference. Then you have to convince HL dealers to carry it and sacrifice part of their profit to show any real serious donation.

I've never heard of Ship Island, Mississippi, but it might be worth your while to nominate it for the second CF Exclusive when the time comes. Build up some support and your dream may come true!

smile Bob smile

Re: Ship Island Lighthouse #27173 09/21/05 10:13 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Does anyone know of lighthouse preservation organizations in Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, and/or Louisiana?

http://www.sandislandlighthouse.com/ This page has a donation button for Sand Island AL

http://www.matagordalighthouse.com/ Matagorda TX

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/parkguide/rgn_gc_017.phtml Port Isabel TX - owned by the state of Texas.

On my list of USA Lighthouses These are the only ones I can find with a dedicated website.

Re: Ship Island Lighthouse #27174 09/21/05 11:35 PM
L
Lazarhynn Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Since it would take too long to create a new piece perhaps Harbour Lights could create a seralized signature set of Gulf Coast Little Lighthouse of Mines. They then could donate their profits to the victims of both Katrina and possibly the victims of Rita.

Re: Ship Island Lighthouse #27175 09/22/05 07:45 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about Harbour Lights picks one of the gulf lights and makes a glow with a percent of the profits go to the Red Cross/Coast Guard for future victims (we know there will be more frown )

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Ship Island Lighthouse #27176 09/23/05 10:21 AM
Zachary Offline
Tchefuncte River: http://lpbmaritimemuseum.org/
Round Island: http://www.roundislandlighthouse.org/
Alabama Lights: http://alabamalighthouses.com/index.html
That's all I know of except the ones posted above

Re: Ship Island Lighthouse #27177 09/23/05 12:14 PM
Bigbird Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Ericlighthouse said: "...a glow with a percent of the profits go to the Red Cross..."

My comments may be an unwelcome input in this instance, but if I want to see my money go to any relief efforts, it's not to one that the CEO makes more than 30 times what I make in a year. Between reading the facts of where the money goes and talking to those that have been affected before by floods or storms, The Salvation Army is the only one of the Big Three (Red Cross, United Way and Salvation Army) that doesn't make your wallet want to go a little deeper in your pocket. Of course, you have to trust the kettle-minders unless you write a check with them. frown

Steve

Health through education, for a much misguided nation!!
Re: Ship Island Lighthouse #27178 09/23/05 02:02 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Being a United Methodist, I can speak up for the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR). Ours is a connectional denomination and each Methodist church has an apportionment due to the conference and ultimately to the denomination for it's national and international operations.

It is these approtionments which provide the support for UMCOR. 100% of any donations made to UMCOR go to the relief program, none to the 'overhead' or 'fund-raising efforts.' UMCOR has and still has support ongoing for the Tsunami.

Someone in our church donated to our Conference the use of a semi-truck and the 200 churches in Arizona, parts of Nevada and a bit of California collected specified supplies needed for Katrina evacuees. We shipped off 16 tons of goods last Thursday (the 15th)- which arrived at the UMCOR depot in Baldwin LA on Saturday.

The drivers (who volunteered their time) reported that because they were carrying relief supplies, they were waived past the weigh stations in New Mexico and Texas.

Among the goods UMCOR asks for are 'Flood Buckets' (kits of items needed to clean up flooding by individuals). When they unloaded the truck, those Flood Buckets went right on another truck for delivery into the flooded areas.

Here's what goes into a "Flood Bucket" Click here Or you can send a $45 donation.

www.umcor.org
www.methodistrelief.org

You don't have to be a United Methodist, a protestant, or a Christian to give to UMCOR, of course. I'm sure other denominations have similar programs; I just can't speak for them.

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 848 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users