Print Thread
Coquille River GLOW?? #27097 10/13/98 09:08 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
I really wish HL would make a Coquille River GLOW! Many collectors including myself will probably never be able to afford a Hatteras version 1, mispelled Split Rock, or Coquille River. The Hatteras version 2 and GLOW allows us to add a version of the light to our collection, but there is no alternative to Coquille River available.

I have heard debates before of whether it should be made or not...Would it devalue the rare limited edition piece? Would those who have payed big bucks for the original be mad that others could obtain a version at retail? Shouldn't HL ignore what happens on the secondary market ethically, and produce a piece that many collectors would love to add to their collection? Shouldn't HL remake the piece with the actual 8 sides for accuracy sake? If the GLOW is such a higher quality than the original, would many collectors really seek the original anymore? Should HL not make one if many collectors are telling them not too?

I think these are many questions that need to be answered or debated. I personally do not think it will devalue the original at all. Those who cannot afford the original are not going to try to pursue one whether there is a GLOW or not. Those who can afford one are the collectors who would want "one of everything" and would buy both versions anyways. Everyone should be happy! I dont think the ratio of the quantity of pieces vs the collectors who are seeking and can afford one are going to change because of the GLOW, and therefore modify the value. Realistically speaking, how many "serious" collectors who are seeking the original and have the money are suddenly not going to purchase one because a GLOW is released? Not many.

The original Hatteras is one of the most expensive pieces on the market even though there is the 2nd mold and GLOW. Those who have an original probably also have a 2nd mold and GLOW too. They only add to their collection, not detract. The 2 other versions have not reduced the price of the original, and I don't believe it would be all that much higher valued if the other 2 were not made. To most people, the difference of $4500 or $5000 is not going to sway a decision of buying one or not...it would still be a pipedream either way.

I also think it is very cool to have the limited, GLOW, ornament, spyglass, and thumbnail of a particular piece sitting side by side. It works for Hatteras...why not Coquille?

I'm really curious of everyones opinion on this. Maybe a little debate here could have an impact on an HL decision to finally produce one, I'm not for sure what the hold-up is. I'm sure other's opinions may vary substantially with mine..how about yours?

Maybe also state up front if you have a limited already or not, or if you are seriously in the market for one. This may help in setting up a reference to your opinion. Friendly banter please!

I do not have one yet...YET being the key word. I always assume that someday I will, whether a GLOW is in the collection or not. I don't expect to wait for the value to suddenly hit rock bottom either, I know it will only continually rise no matter what happens.

-RodW...Your friendly Instigator
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-02-98).]

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27098 10/13/98 01:24 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Way to go Rod! Things were getting a little slow. No lively debates lately. Unfortunately, I agree with everything you said, so there will be no spirited banter from me.

I do not own a Coquille, nor do I envision owning one in the future (unless I win to lotto), so an open version will probably be my only chance at owning this unique lighthouse. I agree with Rod's point on Cape Hatteras. I don't see the value of the limited Hatteras going down in the presence of the open edition, so why should it be any different with Coquille?

I also base the need for an open edition Coquille on the society membership. With the membership now over 30,000 and increasing around 1,000 members monthly, the demand for Coquille is only going to increase. Not all, but a number of these new collectors, (and I am sure some of them have more funding than me) are going to want to add these rare pieces to thier collections. I feel if anything, this will only drive the price of the limited edition Coquille even higher, making this piece even more unattainable to a lot of collectors.

Make the open edition Coquille. I am not very big on collecting the open versions (98 limited & 2 open), but this would be one that I would purchase.

-Todd (With more spirit than I thought)

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27099 10/13/98 01:25 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Oops! In the heat of the moment, I hit the submit button an extra time. Sorry!

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey.]

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27100 10/13/98 04:13 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I think Harbour Lights should be careful of how many GLOWS it makes, and only stick with those that are a) Looong gone from dealer shelves, and b) Hugely popular. I don't think Bolivar, for example, falls into that category, nor does Old Point Loma for that matter. I go to local dealers now and it's all they can do to find enough room for all the pieces on their shelves. Once Montauk, along with the new Portland Head, SE Block, and Boston Harbour are out (and I think West Quoddy is a must, too) they should give the GLOWS a rest for awhile.

Coquille River? It was a very unpopular piece until they discovered the error, just like Burrow's Island. It doesn't deserve a GLOW. The original Coquille is the freakazoid of the Harbour Lights line. It has an almost mythical quality about it. I say, let the "little coffin" rest in peace.

IMHO, of course.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27101 10/13/98 06:34 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I say make the Coquille River GLOW. Many collectors cannot afford to pay the secondary market price and would be honored to have a "Coquille" in their collection. I know I would. I would think it would probably become one of the best selling GLOWs. Come on, Harbour Lights, give us a chance at owning Coquille!

Bob M

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27102 10/13/98 07:33 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
All else being equal, I don't think the LE Coquille would have had near the appeal of other LEs, like St. Augustine, St. Simons or Cape Hatteras. I think it would have been one of the slower pieces to retire, like it's brethren from Washington and Oregon.
For the most part, I think it's the rarity of LE Coquille that makes it such a sought after addition to our collections, nothing more.

I agree with Rod's points about the impact of an OE Coquille, but like Bill, I don't think an OE should be made. Having said that, Harbour Lights is running a business and I think we will see another version of Coquille River. It will be a Limited Edition though, using the current production techniques to really show the best of the lighthouse and it's setting. Think of the impact on the original's value as collector's strive to have both version.

My 2¢ for today.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27103 10/13/98 08:25 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Harbour Lights gave us a new and improved CH2 to finish the edition run and many collectors feel that they are not finished until they have both - why not finish Coquille with a Coquille 2 and watch 30,000 collectors scramble for 4362 available pieces.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27104 10/13/98 11:01 PM
Art Offline
Why do we collect lighthouses? Is it for investment? Few would say so, I'll bet. Folks who run up the price of a HL rarity are playing a classic risk/reward game. HL has no obligation to subsidize their risk taking. If the speculators fear a drop in value, let them sell now to someone who may better appreciate the sculpture for what it is! For those have-nots who wish to have a Coquille River (for, dare I say, the "right" reasons?), let HL make a GLOW. FWIW, I don't think it would impact the price of the LE much anyway; it'll still be rare, and still be odd.

Think of your favorite HL. Does it have a special meaning to you, say, from your childhood memories, etc.? What if those memories were filled with Coquille? Should we deprive those people to whom Coquille is dear? I don't own a Coquille. I don't even want one. I probably wouldn't buy the OE, at least not right away, given all the others I really want but do not yet have.

The idea of a "mold 2" LE is novel, but would only generate more of the speculative frenzy that I'd personally rather avoid. Let's take the high road, the GLOW road!

I agree that there may be too many OEs on dealers' shelves. But which ones shall we do without? Who shall decide? The solution is more shelf space, not fewer OEs.

Okay, I'll get down now. Still friends?

Waxing philosophic,

Art

P.S.: Thanks for the jolt, Rod!

-Art
Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27105 10/14/98 09:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
At the reunion, Bill mentioned Coquille more than once ( Bill knows what buttons to push to get a crowds undivided attention ) then later when asked about his comment about Coquille he replied "did I say that ?"
He also said in referance to Coquille that "if we did make another Coquille river it would not be an open edition piece". But then again who knows what you can belive from Bill ? Finishing the run after correcting the flag on the Split rock,MI pieces doesn't appear to have hurt the secondary price on this piece. Even if they do put out a corrected Coquille I don't think it will have much an effect on the original's secondary price as the secondary market is supply and demand and there will still be the same amount of original pieces available.

there is my 2 cents ( 1.3 cents Canadian )

Mark

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27106 10/14/98 12:18 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
My vote is for a limited version 2 with 8 sides.

[This message has been edited by rscroope.]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27107 10/14/98 02:13 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
OK let me see if I have this correct. Almost all of you want another Coquille, some of you want an open edition made and some want the 111(R) made.

First question, if it is limited why wouldn't it just be 4,362 of them to complete its edition total of 5,500 not 8,862 to make a total of 10,000. I know they make 10,000 now but not when it was first produced?

Next question, then after Harbour Lights gets done with the Coquille should they make 108(R) Burrows Island needing 3,000 more to make 5,500 edition total or 7,500 more to have 10,000 total.

Oops, then they will have to make a Point Arena revised. Let's see maybe make 6,000 are so of them to make at total of 9,500 or a few more to make 10,000. We could do a survey to find out what one's didn't break.

Having wrote this with MTPFIMC, I would much rather see them create another Coquille as a open edition with the correct number of sides and the tremendous quality level that Harbour Lights is doing now in both open and limited editions.

Wait a minute just maybe I am changing my mind. Hmm if they make a revised limited edition of those three (Coquille, Burrows & Point Arena), then later they can make the open and I would have three versions (variations). Yes! I definitely think they should make the revised versions along with ornaments and spyglass version. And just one final thought think THUMBNAILS !!!!!!!!

Paul L Brady

for those of you who scrolled down

MTPFIMC - My Tongue Planted Firmly In My Cheek

[This message has been edited by engbrady.]

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27108 10/14/98 11:01 PM
P
Polly Offline
P
I am all in favor of HL making a Coquille River GLOW! I would love to have a complete HL collection. However, I got a late start and have to play catch-up and can't afford a Coquille LE (my loss).

If after purchasing an OE Coquille, years passed and I needed the LE version to complete my collection I believe I would purchase it (anothers gain).

Collectors like myself will probably never be able to afford (or find) a Coquille River unless it is offered as a GLOW. I also believe a GLOW version should have 8 sides so it is accurate and different from the LE. Too often it is confusing to tell the LE from the GLOW.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27109 10/16/98 05:59 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Well, Rod... you certainly created the latest tempest in a teapot over Coquille River GLOW! Perhaps it was deja vu or just good timing, but this thread is very timely.

I spoke with Kim Andrews today and here is the official situation:

Of course at the Reunion Bill hinted at a GLOW Coquille River. As he is often wont to do, he also has spoken in the past of Coquille River hinting one way or another, then denying any knowledge "Did I say THAT?". (Similar to his "What seahorses?" denial)

As of October 2, the GLOW version of Coquille River was on Harbour Lights' production schedule for delivery in January 1999. On Sunday, October 4, a few individual attending the Reunion met on their own to discuss whether Harbour Lights should do that or not. The group included a few collectors with complete collections and one secondary dealer; no company representative was present.

On Monday, one of their group faxed a synopsis of their position to Harbour Lights. Basically, they recalled Bill as having said in the past "We will never make a GLOW Coquille River."

Whether he made that statement in truth and fact and INTENDED it to be so or whether he said it like Bill likes to say many things to keep us collectors off or on guard, Bill and the family don't know; they don't RECALL that he did. In the same fax, the spokesperson for this group said this "No GLOW Coquille River" pledge was similar to Bill's statement that Harbour Lights "...would NEVER make more than 10,000 of a limited edition."

The fax caused Bill to talk with a few collectors and dealers by phone and for the family to meet and discuss what they should do. The decision reached was to take the GLOW Coquille River OFF the production board until the issue is resolved. If Bill has made that statement ("No GLOW Coquille River"), that pretty much keeps the piece off the board for good. If he hasn't made the statmement -- or has made it in a teasing way, then that could put the piece back on the production board for later delivery in 1999.

So the need for feedback is even greater. Harbour Lights reads these forums. You can post your comments here and they will be heard or you can write or email Harbour Lights with your opinion.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27110 10/16/98 07:12 PM
T
tnkeeper Offline
T
I'm also for the Coquille GLOW. Like many others it would probably be the only way I could ever obtain this HL. Rod made a very good point when he said that a GLOW version would give us a chance to add this lighthouse to our collection.As he pointed out ,there are no other alternatives available.
FWIW....... tnkeeer aka Debbie

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27111 10/16/98 09:56 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I would like another Harbour Lights Coquille. It doesn't matter if it's a GLOW, A second LE, a second version of the first LE or any combination of the above. I think that it should have 8 sides, so that it is correct in form and with the new technology it will enhance anyone's collection. I also believe that just as CH1 is more valuable than CH2 which is more valuable than the CH Glow, that the new Coquille will not lower the value of the original. In my very humble opinion that is!

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27112 10/16/98 11:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If Harbour Lights were to put out another Coquille, Bill also pointed out that it would have to include lots of driftwood trees that wash up on shore near the lighthouse from the river.

Now I was thinking, how could harbour lights keep the cost down and still add a bunch of broken down trees and driftwood to give the piece more realism ? Where could they get these type of trees ? just branches and trunks with out leaves.......... ...................... Hey wait just a minute here, Kim, dont throw out those old trees that keep falling off of Old Field Point just yet.

Mark, ( always thinking )

[This message has been edited by Mark Wagner.]

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27113 10/17/98 12:09 PM
T
TXKeeper Offline
T
I also would like to see an Open Edition of Coquille. Many of us are unable to afford the few LEs that are out there. It would be a nice piece to add to the collection. And if one day you win the lottery, well then you could have both. It should be eight sided to be an accurate version.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27114 10/17/98 12:10 PM
T
TXKeeper Offline
T
I also would like to see an Open Edition of Coquille. Many of us are unable to afford the few LEs that are out there. It would be a nice piece to add to the collection. And if one day you win the lottery, well then you could have both. It should be eight sided to be an accurate version.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27115 10/17/98 08:54 PM
RFoster Offline
"Let them eat cake..." It's sad when "a few collectors with complete collections and one secondary dealer" can cause Harbour Lights to call a family meeting and reverse the decision to manufacture the GLOW Coquille River that was mentioned in detail (8 sides and plenty of driftwood) by Bill Younger at the Reunion in Providence. Bill's announcement at the Reunion was well received by the majority, as evidenced by the cheers and applause. It's one thing to tease, another to be forgetful, and yet something totally different to play on the emotions of such a dedicated group of collectors (or was that "Family" of collectors).

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27116 10/18/98 02:16 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Guess I'm inclined along the lines of Rick M. and Bill H.

Quote:
Why would the opinion of someone that has an entire collection make the decision for those that do not? I find this to be disturbing!

Please excuse me, but I think this misses the point. It doesn't have anything to do with the opinion of a someone who has an entire collection or a small elite group making a decision.

If I understand correctly, it does have to do with whether or not Bill Younger made a pledge that there would be no GLOW Coquille. No different than the pledge that no OEs would be made of lights that did not have a retired LE version.

The question that HL seems (properly) to be considering is - 'did Bill make this promise about Coquille or not?' If he made that pledge he should be held to it and I suspect he fully expects to hold to it - if indeed the pledge was made.

And for those in the 'everybody has a right to a copy of every HL model because afterall we truly *love* lighthouses' crowd, I suggest you try to see the view that without a secondary market Harbour Lights as a company and the HL line we enjoy would not be where it is today.

If HL were to either complete existing numerically unfulfilled LEs with new additional releases, or if they were to create an LE version of a piece for which there already is an LE, they will blow both their credibility and their place in the market as a maker of collectibles.

I really like the Bandon light - architecturally its beautiful. It may be a long time or never before I have an original Coquille to fill out my collection, though this does not temper my desire to do so. If Bill didn't promise never to do an OE Coquille then I might buy my first GLOW if they come out with an OE Coquille. But my belief that the LE line should maintain its integrity is stronger than my desire to fill out my collection.

Harbour Lights must not forsake the collectors that value the line as a collectible. Or put more twistedly: HL - don't eat your young or your young may eat their Youngers. ;->

Regards as always - from the Fog Signal building,
__
/im [...listening to my Big Red tape - thanks Ken!]

[This message has been edited by JTimothyA.]

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27117 10/18/98 09:56 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
...If I understand correctly, it does have to do with whether or not Bill Younger made a pledge that there would be no GLOW Coquille. No different than the pledge that no OEs would be made of lights that did not have a retired LE version...

Tim is absolutely correct from my conversation with Kim. This IS the question that put the GLOW on hold. Is there anyone out there who has HEARD Bill make the statement that "Harbour Lights will never make a GLOW version of Coquille River"?.

What I personally have heard Bill say is to the contrary - hinting (teasing?) that a GLOW Coquille River might be in the works. I heard that as long ago as Spring of 1997 in Long Beach. Where were the nay-sayers after that?

As for fulfilling the 'remaining' edition of Coquille River or Burrows Island, or Point Arena (issues which did not reach their full edition sizes), I'd say that will NOT happen because these pieces WERE retired and the molds broken. With Cape Hatteras LE, the announcement was not that the piece was retired, but that it was re-sculpted and production continued on.

John [speaking as an individual collector]

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27118 10/18/98 01:02 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I'm reading through this thread and I'm frankly amused at all the hubub. Had Coquille River lasted through its entire 5,500 run, it would most likely be in the same boat with Cape Blanco and North Head---one of the ugly ducklings of the line. Look at what HL is putting out today. Their pieces are finely detailed, colorful, and very realistic. Coquille is drab and dull and poorly detailed. And, as I said in my earlier post, had it not retired so early, it would today get about as much attention as the aforementioned Blanco and North Head (or St. Georges Reef, or Yaquina Head, or Umpqua River for that matter).

Through circumstances beyond collectors' control, Coquille has become one of the "Grand Slam" pieces for collectors---the other three being the original Cape Hatteras, Split Rock "Michigan," and Burrows Island "Oregon." Hatteras is "The Nation's Lighthouse," so it warranted a GLOW. Split Rock had to be made because of the Great Lakes series. But Coquille River and Burrows Island, regardless of their scarcity, are two of the ugly, originally-unwanted sisters among a large family of gems.

Neither piece deserves a GLOW edition.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27119 10/18/98 02:17 PM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Quote:
The thing that I find disturbing is that there is a group of collectors that have every lighthouse that is swaying Harbour Lights on what to produce or not produce.

That's not how I understand the issue, and JC's post seems to corroborate my understanding. From the accounts given here it sounds like it was this small group that made the claim about Bill's supposed pledge not to do an OE Coquille. The fact that the group or person(s) that raised this issue has a complete collection or whether they are all new collectors that were in club meeting where the pledge was (supposedly) made is totally irrelevant. (Thats why I said the point was missed - I certainly won't disagree that you may be bothered by a small group having undue influence).

I'm not sure what evidence there is for your claim that "a group of collectors that have every lighthouse that is swaying Harbour Lights on what to produce or not produce".
If you'd said this group is trying to influence HL's direction, then I can accept that - and if so, they're just one of many that are voicing their opinion. However to claim (as I understand the statement does) that a small group actually *is* influencing HL production decisions needs to be backed up with some facts.

From what I understand, HL has put some plans on hold while they review things. This suggests they are being thoughtful and willing to consider the issue. If it is determined that Bill publicly made the 'no OE Coquille' statement' and HL chooses not to produce it because of this, they will have done so not because some particular party brought the statement to light, but because the statement was made by Bill.

On the other hand I'll certainly accept the possibility that some other production decisions are determined by the group to whom you refer, but at present I am unaware of this. If you are referencing something other than the current Coquille debate, I'll defer to your knowledge of that situation.

All businesses must make decisions based on what they believe is in their best long term interest. One of the things that is typically in a company's best long term interest is to pay attention to the requests of their customers. But for privately held companies, they usually don't let the customers vote - that is actually one of their strengths. Publicly held companies let stockholders vote on certain issues - but there the size of your vote is often a function of how many shares you own. If each HL lighthouse is considered a 'share' then a collector who owns them all would have more clout than one who owns fewer. So why shouldn't those die hard collectors have a greater say? (I just concoted this argument and I'm not sure if I buy it completely but its something to think about).

I do agree with your notion that in regards to making an OE version - all else being equal (ie - no special promises), Coquille is no different from Hatteras.

I disagree with Bill's view that Coquille is too ugly to warrrant an OE. The Coquille LE is certainly not one of their finest, but again imo, architecturally, its a beautiful and unique lighthouse building that gives HL a lot to work with in they chose to make a new model. (This does not mean I think they should.) While the relative tourist popularity of a light may drive HL to model it, I think there are other factors such as history or architecture that should have an influence. After all - how many folks visit Mantinicus? If it wasn't for its keeper's history it may never have been modeled.

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27120 10/18/98 10:18 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
I would like to thank everyone for their reply to my initial post, and encourage others who normally do not respond often to toss in their 2 cents here and also take the unofficial poll from Mark's posting. We're all friends here...just like bantering siblings.

In light of John's breaking news, I would have to agree with Tim (by the way, welcome back to the Forums Tim...we missed the fog horn lately!) If Bill's statement was actually made AND in seriousness (a very important AND), then the debate should end....no GLOW. I am very much biased FOR the production of the GLOW, but sticking to a promise would definately have to take precedent.

My bit of confusion is in the way it was suddenly "remembered" by the select group. We all know how quick rumour mills can spread any breaking news very rapidly, why would this important statement be an exception? When the founder of such a prominant collectible line makes a statement that in essence for the FIRST TIME EVER, one particular lighthouse will NEVER be made again....that is one heck of a breaking story! I can't believe a prospering company would promise to NOT make a product that would sell fairly briskly, make a profit, and please a majority (assumed) of collectors, especially a lighthouse like Coquille which I know many people have asked about and debated over whether it was going to be made for quite some time. HL has always tried to stay "above" the interaction of the secondary market, but I don't know why else the statement would have been made in the first place other than to protect the secondary value. Doesn't quite make sense, and that is why I would question the seriousness of such a statement, if actually made.

When the statement of "...no more than 10,000" was made, it spread through the rumour mill like a wildfire on the bulletin boards, chats, and publications. The news was practically instantaneous. No one can keep a secret long, next year's society piece is a great example. It took a whopping week to be posted to the forums!

I have personally "asked the elusive question" to Bill in 1997 and again in 1998 at signings. Both times I just received a chuckle and the typical "Jovial Bill changes the subject" response. That always sounded to me like the question was a frequent one, and he did not want to let out of the bag the production schedule or details of it. I am quite surprised that if he made the statement in seriousness before, why HL would be in the middle of production and kind of "let the cat out of the bag" in front of 735 very serious collectors at the reunion. That would not have been the smartest move if they thought in any way that it should not have been produced. I think he would have remembered making the comment in light of other past history statements. ie: no GLOWs before limiteds, early retirement of Burrows, no more than 10,000 made, etc. He knows by now the importance and finality that his statements have.

All in all though, if the statement WAS made in seriousness, than the GLOW should not be made. I just hope they think and "remember" through this one thoroughly before deciding. At least once again they are taking collectors' feedback seriously. Kudos to the attempt.

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-02-98).]

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27121 10/19/98 07:40 PM
RFoster Offline
I agree with Rod, IF Bill ever said "No Open Edition Coquille", it was probably in jest. Bill's marketing savy wouldn't allow him to say "never" in this instance (or any other for that matter, I don't believe). The 735-plus collectors at the Reunion obviously took Bill's statements about a new Coquille (with plenty of driftwood) seriously. I'm sure Bill thought about what he was going to say before making the statements. It will be interesting to see if Harbour Lights heard the cheers and applause of the majority in attendance.

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27122 10/29/98 01:41 PM
jakescol Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I'm for an OE of coquille if your taking a count. I did hear him say that there was a new one in the making at the 1998 reunion. That is good enough for me. Unless he said "NO" it infront of hundreds of people or put it in writing it doesn't carry much weight.
jake

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27123 11/03/98 01:44 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hey, I'm an HL collector, a native Oregonian, and a fan of Coquille River...at the San Diego reunion, BY addressed a crowd at one of the seminars and said that if someone could get the Governor of Oregon to request a Coquille GLOW, he would do it...well, I took the time to write the governor of Oregon, and received the response that he was NOT an HL collector...for that alone, I deserve a damn Coquille GLOW...if Bolivar qualifies, so should Coquille...nuff said...

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27124 11/21/98 07:11 PM
hcorey Offline
I guess it was to late for me to vote. From the next post it seems that it is all over for now. I hope what the majority of the collectors want is what they will eventually get. Also, I hope this doesn't keep Bill from holding relaxed conversations with collectors at events and reunions. I wonder how many Coquille River lighthouses the people who brought this matter up have between them?

[This message has been edited by hcorey (edited 11-21-98).]

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27125 11/21/98 07:24 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I spoke with Kim this past week and asked her the status on the Coquille River GLOW. "It's been tabled," is the way she put it. Further questions determined that they have not talked about it since the time the decision to pull it from the January 99 delivery schedule.

It will be brought again sometime, but no date has been set for that.

And she again confirmed that the decision to make or break (the mold) will be based solely on whether in fact, Bill Younger has said at anytime in the past Harbour Lights would "never make a GLOW Coquille River".

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27126 11/22/98 05:36 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Let me see if I understand this thread.
- A group of folks who were collecting Harbour Lights when you could buy them at issue price met over cigars and brandy (editorial comment) and just maybe remembered Bill saying, maybe in jest, that a particular lighthouse would not be made.
- Word of this meeting filtered to the Executive offices of HL and based on the concern of this august coalition the production lines immediately ground to a purifying halt.
- A thought occurs to me that some profound event or situation must have occurred to generate a statement that one particular lighthouse would not be made. Seems kind of strange that Bill wouldn't remember it.
- The hobby might suffer if this one particular lighthouse (among 200-300 already made) were to be manufactured?
- Many people participating in this forum would like to see a particular lighthouse made except that it might effect the value of a scarce piece, which might in turn not be beneficial to anyone owning the scarce piece who might want to sell said scarce piece for perhaps 33 times the issue price because the value might drop to, say, 32 times the issue price, but probably not to the huddled masses who could really only afford to pay the issue price if there were to be, for instance, a GLOW version produced (subjunctively speaking).
- A matter of personal reputation seems to be at stake for no matter how many new Harbour Lights collectors might be interested in a piece, it can't possibly me made if even an off-hand comment was truly made indicating that it wouldn't be.
- But wait a sec, I think I see the beginnings of a real moral dilemma. What if Bill also made the comment, actually overheard in my home town at a local signing event, that what really determined whether a lighthouse would be made was that there existed a strong demand shown by a large number of Harbour Lights collectors. Something like this thread, for instance.
- Reminds me of the dueling banjos in Deliverance: Can't make it because I said I wouldn't (althought I don't remember saying so) - Must make it because its being requested by many collectors.

Sort of boggles the mind. I guess I'll sleep on it and see if it all becomes clearer in the morning.

Warning: When reading this input please don't take the author too seriously, he doesn't.

Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27127 11/22/98 04:12 PM
RFoster Offline
Oh...G.T.Ohhhhhh!!

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Coquille River GLOW?? #27128 12/02/98 08:08 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
R
I'd say you were right on the button, Gary... I think your summary says it all IMHO

-RodW

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users