Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The North Light, Block Island, RI #26546 01/15/01 10:23 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Everytime I go through the threads of the CF and see the "Wish List" thread, the North Light on the northern tip of Block Island, Rhode Island comes to mind. This wonderful light has undergone major renovations over the last decade thanks to the efforts of the islanders and friends who knew this light was too precious to lose to vandalism and disrepair.

Many a summer night I've sat on my boat in New Harbor watching the beacon of the North Light guide hundreds of commercial vessels and pleasure boats past the dangerous shoals of the North Rip just off the coast of the Block.

Every HL collector is very familiar with the Southeast Light on the Block and the LE HL 128. The popularity of the Southeast Light has led to the manufature of the LE, the GLOW, the revised GLOW, a thumbnail, and a Christmas ornament in its likness. I treasure each and everyone of them in my collection.

Would the manufacture of the North Light from the opposite end of Block Island have similar results on the market? Would collectors from the West Coast be interested in such a piece as much as us folks on the East Coast?

If HL made the North Light as an edition size of 6500 or less, I would predict it would retire with 24 months of its release. What do you think?

Bob

Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26547 01/15/01 11:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We agree that this would make a wonderdul HL.
Hope that it will soon be on the boards as we fell in love with it on our visit this Fall.

Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26548 01/16/01 10:07 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Lots of info on this light here: http://lighthouse.cc/blockinorth/index.html

Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26549 01/16/01 11:39 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

What a beautiful addition this light would be to anyone's collection, especially mine and yours. I definitely would like to see this one along with Race Point.

Let's go people! Let's here it for North light, Block Island, RI.

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26550 01/17/01 02:42 AM
TD Offline
Bob, I agree that North Block Island would be a great addition to SE Block. I visited this light before the 2nd reunion. I really wasn't expecting much but boy was I wrong. This granite light is very striking and restored beautifully.

Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26551 01/17/01 12:22 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
The reproduction of the North Light at Block Island, Rhode Island, could make for an interesting challenge for Harbour Lights.

The North Light is not on a bluff. It doesn't have any adjacent piers or docks. It doesn't have any type of breakwater either. The North Light is nestled amongst the dunes near the north tip of the island. I don't think HL has ever produced a replica depicting this type of surroundings.

The Southeast Light, HL 128, was a hit and there is no reason the North Light from the same island wouldn't be.

Bob

Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26552 01/17/01 03:18 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I definitely have to get to both of these LHs this summer when I'm in Montauk. Any hints on getting to them from the ferry area? I guess bike or moped? Any other public transportation or tour bus, BIRI?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26553 01/17/01 04:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bikes and Mopeds are available (A pretty long bike ride to the North Light for us old guys.) The Taxis are very cheap and the tour bus is a poor method.( That's our humble opinion.) Taxis out and back is best( we think) since everything else is in walking distance.

Harry and Judy

Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26554 01/17/01 11:32 PM
TD Offline
What we did was to tell the taxi driver to take us to both lights. It's about a 3/4 of a mile walk to the North Light. Well worth the walk but pretty soft sand to walk in. I agree the dunes would be very interesting for HL's to do.

Re: The North Light, Block Island, RI #26555 01/18/01 12:01 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hey Bob, ... The Montauk Ferry pulls into New Harbor, Block Island around 1100 hours each day during the summer. It departs for Montauk in the vicinity of 1615 hours.

A taxi to the Southeast Light is around $7 for up to four people. A taxi to the North Light from the Harbor is about the same. Unknown what a taxi is to travel from one light to the other.

New Harbor is about equidistant from both lights making them about 3 miles away. Moped and bike rentals are availible right at the dock. Let me know when you are going to visit and I'll let you know if I might be there.

Capt. Bob from "It's Only Money"

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,209 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users