Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Whitefish Point #26322 05/25/99 08:21 PM
Digger Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
With its beautiful structures as well as its historical location, has HL's ever considered Whitefish Point, MI? It makes me wonder why this lighthouse has been overlooked for so long. Being one of the Great Lakes most significant lighthouses as well as an eye-witness and museum to the most famous shipwreck in Great Lakes history, it's time has come! Let's go all you Wolverines, sound-off and let HL's know that.......
WE WANT WHITEFISH POINT!

Digger

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 05-25-99).]

Re: Whitefish Point #26323 05/26/99 03:53 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I agree with Digger. Harbour Lights needs to make Whitefish Point. Everyone on the forum should email Harbour Lights to get this beautiful light made.

Maybe we'll all be surprised and it will be shown at Rosemont. Or perhaps, Harbour Lights will produce it along with Anchor Bay's release of the U.S.S. Mackinaw. We can only continue to request these to be made.

Re: Whitefish Point #26324 05/26/99 07:52 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Another vote here for Whitefish.

Kathy

Re: Whitefish Point #26325 05/26/99 10:03 PM
RRohweder Offline
I agree. Whitefish Point should be made, but I never want to see the U.S.S. Mackinaw. Spent too much time in the Coast Guard getting used to CGC Mackinaw to just give it away to the Navy.

Rich

------------------

Re: Whitefish Point #26326 05/27/99 12:44 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
"USS Mackinaw"

"Give the Mackinaw away to the Navy?"

Don't think so. The CG did paint it bright red -- to indicate it's role as an ice-breaker.

"CGC" puts Mackinaw in the right service. "USS" is the Navy ship designation, I believe.

Re: Whitefish Point #26327 05/28/99 07:03 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sorry, I know the Mackinaw is a Coast Guard Cutter. Wouldn't want to let the Navy have such a wonderful ship, even if the Coast Guard did paint her red.

Re: Whitefish Point #26328 05/30/99 01:47 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Digger,
When Bill was in Indy I made a comment that "now that the technology to do a framework tower existed, wasn't it time for Whitefish?" Bill's cryptic response insinuated that it was somewhere in the pipeline. I too would like to see Whitefish done - would be an interesting special edition ala Hillsboro.

Can't believe you didn't hammer him for an answer when you saw him in Warsaw.

Dave

Re: Whitefish Point #26329 06/02/99 08:41 AM
Lighthousedude Offline
We want Whitefish!!

We want Whitefish!!

I'm casting my vote too!!!!!!!!

A great lighthouse that would make a great HL.

Re: Whitefish Point #26330 06/07/99 10:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For all those who want Whitefish,

I think it would be just fine if all our suggestions for HL pieces could be granted. Now wouldn't that make for happy collectors!

I don't have much info about this light as that area of the US is one I have not visited yet. I will have to look it up on the web and read about it. Perhaps one day I will get to travel there. But alas, there are so many lighthouses, so little vacation time.

Derith

Re: Whitefish Point #26331 06/08/99 01:13 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Derith-

A visit to the Whitefish neighborhood would allow visits to a large number of lighthouses in a fairly short period of time. Excellent use of precious vacation days. The UP is a great place to go lighthousing. Start in Mackinaw and work your way around the UP- there are some beautifully restored lights. Here is a little on Whitefish...

http://www.ipl.org/exhibit/light/GL/WhitefishPt.html

ftp://ftp.ais.org/pub/users/lsa/lighthouse/whitefsh.jpg

Dave

Re: Whitefish Point #26332 06/08/99 09:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank You Dave,

I have always thought of going to Mackinaw Island. Am I right in saying there is an old inn there? Will I see the lighthouse that is in the movie "Somewhere in Time"? Just have not made any plans for traveling in that area as I have wanted to see all the lighthouses on the West Coast of US. One or two more visits should get that wish taken care of. Then, I will work on a plan to visit the Mackinaw area.

Thanks Dave for the sites, they are very interesting. My "let's do this sometime" list keeps getting longer and longer. If I live as long as my Mother, 85, and stay in good health, I'll get all the lighthouses seen.

Derith

[This message has been edited by Derith Bennett (edited 06-08-99).]

Re: Whitefish Point #26333 06/08/99 09:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank You Dave,

I have always thought of going to Mackinaw Island. Am I right in saying there is an old inn there? Will I see the lighthouse that is in the movie "Somewhere in Time"? Just have not made any plans for traveling in that area as I have wanted to see all the lighthouses on the West Coast of US. One or two more visits should get that wish taken care of. Then, I will work on a plan to visit the Mackinaw area.

Thanks Dave for the sites, they are very interesting. My "let's do this sometime" list keeps getting longer and longer. If I live as long as my Mother, 85, and stay in good health, I'll get all the lighthouses seen.

Derith

Derith

Re: Whitefish Point #26334 06/08/99 10:51 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes, Derith, you see Round Island Lighthouse on the boat ride from Mackinaw City to Mackinac Island. Getting in a bit closer would require a charter boat (or airplane, in your case). An air trip out of Mackinaw City could include a stop on the island (nice airport hidden in the middle of the island), then a horse and buggy trip around Mackinac Island (no cars).

Round Island was seen in Somewhere in Time (We were there when they filmed the scene in the hotel lobby where the little boy is in trouble for bouncing the ball.) As you know from the movie, the town is not an island since Christopher Reeves character drives there from Chicago. But it's fun to see all the island spots that are shown.

Others can fill you in on which lighthouses you could see on a trip centered around Northern Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. (You'll find both Paradise and Hell are wide spots in the road.)

A good book is Penrose's Michigan Lighthouses. Photographs are all in black and white, but it is very comprehensive. (Surprising B+W because Penrose publishes Post Cards.)

Re: Whitefish Point #26335 06/08/99 12:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks once again, Sir John.

Derith

Re: Whitefish Point #26336 06/09/99 02:07 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
John, think Penrose published their guides in B&W to keep costs down. Only $15 a book is a whale of a deal. Believe that HL does carry the books.

Derith, Trip to Michigan would give you great value for your lighthousing dollar! With give or take 116 lights in Michigan you should get your fill! 'Course you then also have the Lake Michigan shore of Wisconsin, the Lake Superior coasts of WI & MN and don't forget the Canadian lights if you want to go international. The Soo Locks at Sault Ste Marie are close to Whitefish & interesting to see. Of course, don't forget Michigan City, IN (can't forget my homeland) and the Grosse Point & Chicago Harbor IL lights. and more, and more.

Rod could go on about the Ohio, Pennsylvania & NY lights. Can't leave out the Lightkeeper and Hudson River lights.

Gee, so many lights in the midwest that most people just wouldn't believe. Need to make the trip to join us sometime!

Funny, I am jealous of those close to the coast lights, especially those fortunate enough to live in the midst of many, but I can probably visit more lights in the same amount of time right here in the midwest. Go figure.

Happy lighthousing,

Dave

Re: Whitefish Point #26337 06/09/99 02:40 AM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
One more for Whitefish! I've been begging for two years. As a Michigander (been to Whitefish twice already!) It is one of the first and the most important in the UP. We went on a week long lighthouse tour of the UP last fall and plan on doing it again in October when fall colors are at peak. What pictures I got! Another vote I would cast is the East Grand Channel Light on Grand Island in Munising. As one of the last all wooden lighthouses, it is eloquent in it's own way. My two cents~

Jen

Re: Whitefish Point #26338 06/09/99 11:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Dave,

I would certainly see my fill, but then, I have never tired of seeing lighthouses.

Those of us who live in a lighthouse rich US state are very fortunate indeed that we can get to these lights in pretty short traveling time. On weekend trips you don't use up the allotted vacation time that you have each year and can save that time for lights that are farther away.

I have a short trip over the 4th of July weekend planned, since I have the 5th off too, to the SC lights that I have not seen. I will probably never own the Hilton Head LE. So, photographing will have to do. I am hoping that I will be able to get permission to see the spider light that is on the island as well.

Derith

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users