Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where shall I start? #25740 09/24/05 08:01 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Hey members! I make extremely accurate models of architecture, etc. and I was planning to make a couple to submit to Kim at Harbour Lights for possible future release. I had been in communication with her about this, and the modeling technique that I employ produces pieces that are solid for shipping. I have my eye and heart set on these three in particular: Fourteen Mile Point, MI [as it was]; Braddock Point, NY [as it was, with the original Cleveland Light Station lantern, etc.]; and/or Squaw Island, MI. Is there any consensus about which one would be more [or most] desirable to the general membership? I prefer to do the ones that are vanished or in a damaged state, because it is so rewarding to see them in their reconstructed glory, and I also tend to gravitate to the lighthouses whose lights are integrated into the keepers' quarters. And there still is a need for an accurate Old Mackinac Point piece, without the various errors that are especially evident in the east side, the attachment of the tower, and the chimney placement. Input?

Danny

Re: Where shall I start? #25741 09/25/05 09:40 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Dan, ...I'm sure many of us would like to see representations of your creative ability. We have a few very talented artists amongst the Collector Forum members. Post a few pics to show us what you do.

smile Bob smile

Re: Where shall I start? #25742 09/25/05 07:31 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Hi Bob,

I'm currently working on Coquille [as I want to see it realized]. Regretfully, the HL "open" version still has problems. Having spent around 12 hours, during two days, in intimate communion with this lighthouse, I wanted to catch as much of the detail and "ambience" of the environment as I could. When I get the piece done, I'll send in photos. By then, I think that I can get my hands on a digital camera.

Danny

Re: Where shall I start? #25743 09/25/05 08:49 PM
Zachary Offline
Danny, I'd love to see 14 Mile Point. I love that LH so much and would love to se it captured forever in a model. It's so sad that some bastards had to burn it down "accidently" (yeah...right)

Re: Where shall I start? #25744 09/26/05 05:26 PM
K
Kent Babb Offline
K
Danny,

I've always been fascinated by Squaw Island, so you have my full support on that one. (for whatever that amounts to!) laugh

Kent

Re: Where shall I start? #25745 09/26/05 07:05 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Kent,

I took a look at Squaw Island, MI on the lighthouse database. I think that would be a great light to do. It has some interesting buildings and would make a great piece.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Where shall I start? #25746 09/29/05 07:36 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Zachary, and others...

Any input or opinion about how much to include for a "recreation" of Fourteen Mile Point? That is to say, the broader the territory represented, the smaller the structures [on the model] will have to be. Focusing on just the keepers' quarters/light will result in the greatest scale. Add in the barn and there will have to be a reduction. Add in the "fog" building...smaller still. So, if we were to choose just one of the outlying structures, do you have a particular gravitation toward the barn or the fog building? I might as well try to please the collectors at the outset! With Squaw Island, the outlying buildings are close enough in proximity, and the lighthouse itself is small enough in scale, that this would not be so much a problem. But with Fourteen Mile, I'll have to distort the scale of the layout just to bring in one building. So, is it better to focus on the one-story fog building and the shore, or the two-story barn? Granted, I'd love to do the whole thing in large scale, but I'm trying to approximate the general scale of the average Harbour Lights piece, so some choices need to be made. The main thing is to zero in on the glorious main structure itself!

Danny

Re: Where shall I start? #25747 09/29/05 08:30 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Danny,

As far as I'm concerned, you can forget the barn.

bobo

Re: Where shall I start? #25748 09/30/05 09:31 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree forget the barn, just add the fog building.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Where shall I start? #25749 10/03/05 09:00 PM
Danny Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
Okay Gang,

I'll procede, first, with Fourteen Mile Point, with the Oil Shed, Fog Signal building [and possibly a supplemental, attachable 2nd Keepers' dwelling]. Second, and probably as an overlapping project, will be Squaw Island [that is, if Harbour Lights hasn't already started this one, since I previously recommended it to them]. I'll try to send in photos showing the progress on these pieces, assuming that my brother will share his digital camera! [I do have a couple of other recourses, here]. I hope to have the Coquille piece done in about a month, too.

Danny

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,208 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users