I just read the Long Beach Report and noticed that Bill Younger mentioned in the webcast that the Cape Hatteras lighthouse "on the move" will be a future edition. I don't know if HL plans to reissue the previous version again or to make the new piece a reasonable recreation of some time period(s) during the moving of the lighthouse and double keeper quarters.

I would think a good design would be the lighthouse on the rails (with rails between the final foundation and the lighthouse and some rails on the other side) and including the restored double keeper quarters. I don't think the tractor/vehicle would be very appropriate.

In my previous post on this event there were some toungue in cheek recommendations. But there seemed to be a fair interest. I will be camped at the door of the closest retailer (Cary, NC) unless there is a special event at the Cape Hatteras lighthouse or closest retailer. Then I guess I will have to camp out at the beach.

As some may remember in my previous post, the local TV station has a continuing photo journal of the lighthouse move as well as the history leading up to the move. Their latest post is that "The Cape Light is off its foundation and ready for a new home about a half mile away." And, "The movers estimate they will able to go 25 to 100 feet per day." the lighthouse will be on "More than 100 hydraulic jacks on rollers will be put under the 4,800 ton structure. The rollers will move along steel beams. The move will take at least a month."
The link is:
for WRAL TV in Raleigh, NC.

[This message has been edited by RaleighRon (edited 04-28-99).]