Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25414 04/30/03 09:12 PM
L
ladylightkeeper Offline OP
OP Offline
L
New Hampshire doesn't have a very long seacoast, but it does have a few interesting lighthouses. Harbour Lights has already made a sculpture of Whaleback, which the Coast Guard declares belongs to NH, despite Maine's trying to claim it.

And more recently, HL made Portsmouth Harbor Light, in response to my and others' lobbying for this to commemorate Connie Small on her 100th birthday and to recognize all she has done in this memorable lifetime to bring attention to the plight of lighthouses in general, and specifically in influencing the Coast Guard to enter into the program of recyling Maine lighthouses to the care of non-profit groups. Her many years as the wife of a lighthouse keeper gave her the passion to carry on her crusade for many years to finally see success.

Now New Hampshire has another lighthouse which really needs to be sculpted by HL. It is an unusual configuration and would make a striking HL collectible. Visible on the horizon as thousands of tourists and lighthouse lovers take the Portsmouth cruise boat 7 miles out to sea, White Island Lighthouse, amidst the famous Isle of Shoals, shines white against the blue skies and water. It is the long white covered walkway from lighthouse to keepers building that seems to be fairly uncommon in lighthouse architecture. This would make a great HL sculpture.

Many states have had a goodly number of their lighthouses sculpted by HL, so it is only right that a state like NH get some equal coverage of its remaining main lighthouse that so many people enjoy seeing as they cruise the beautiful NH waters.

Of special note here, tonight's NH TV news featured a school teacher in Northampton whose 7th grade class several years ago started a campaign to raise funds to repair White Island Light, after cruising out to the island and landing to get a closer look, and noticing thousands of cracks on the surface of the tower, making it a lighthouse that definitely needed help. They managed to raise over $20,000; and brought this light's plight to the attention of Congress who has now allocated $250,000 to allow the Coast Guard to start work next spring on a preservation.

If this isn't a symbol of young people being interested in our maritime heritage, I don't know what could be more impressive. I hope Harbour Lights reads this message, as this is the kind of youth group that deserves their attention and maybe some kind of incentive award for their dedication and hardwork (like maybe a sculpture of White Island for each student in this "Lighthouse Kids" group.

Please support this request for HL to make this lighthouse, and to bring some recognition to these kids in the Legacy. I am sure Bill would love to visit such an enthusiastic youth group as this one.

If you haven't visited New England yet, I highly recommend the LONGER lighthouse cruise out of Portsmouth, NH. This special trip is held several times a year. Warm weather is best for this though.

ladylightkeeper
Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25415 04/30/03 09:53 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
VERY WELL SAID! I have read several stories about these youngsters who have gone out of their way to raise funds for the lighthouse. I've even seen a few pictures of their group visiting the Island. I couldn't agree more about what you said about the wonderful tribute it would be to these kids to have Harbour Lights recognize what they are doing. After all, our world really does belong to these young people who will carry on the love of lighthouses for future generations to enjoy. THANK YOU LADYLIGHTKEEPER!

FOr those of you who would like to read and see a little about this light, I have included a link to the lighthouse database.

WHITE ISLAND LIGHT - AKA ISLE OF SHOALS

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25416 04/30/03 10:51 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Yes, this is a very good suggestion! Besides the lighthouse the Isles of Shoals are a virtual treasure trove of history. I think I spent the better part of an evening reading about them a while back. Here's a good place to start:

http://seacoastnh.com/shoals/

Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25417 04/30/03 11:03 PM
AZlightkeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
You've got my vote!!! smile

Jim
Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25418 05/01/03 02:54 AM
W
WisKeeper Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
W
I have been on the cruise out of Portsmouth past the Isle of Shoals lighthouse. I really enjoyed seeing this lighthouse. It is very picturesque.

Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25419 05/01/03 12:13 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I was watching the NEWS this morning and they had film taken from a plane or helicopter of White Island Light aka Isle of Shoals. They mentioned the kids from North Hampton, NH who had raised money and awareness to save the light and that the Coast Guard had received 250,000. to repair it. Nice to see the kids involved!

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25420 05/01/03 04:10 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you Bert and Mombo for including website addresses that deal with White Island. I have just spent some fascinating time reading over each and highly recommend them to all of you. Bert's address leads to Jeremy D'Entremont's website which contains details, a photo, and info on how to cruise out to see this light. I recommend the special LONG lighthouse cruise aboard the Thomas Laighton ship, which I am pretty sure belongs to the Isle of Shoals Steamship Co. Call to find out when these special trips are scheduled. Jeremy is a researcher and writer for the Lighthouse Depot's magazine Lighthouse Digest.

Mombo's address leads to a list of many articles on the Isle of Shoals. Look for the third one down, labeled NEW, on the Cracks of White Island. It is a very interesting article, which shows the legal complications of determining who owns the lighthouse, which has been a problem with other lights besides this one. It would be nice if all could work together for the benefit of preserving our maritime history. Look for the photo that shows the unusual walkway between lighthouse and keeper's house.

But most of all, go to the links that describe how this group of 7th graders have managed to accomplish something that all the adults and goverment agencies were not able to do: raise awareness, money, and consciences.

If Harbour Lights would make this sculpture, White Island Light might make a good nomination for a future Wacko Pin and a great way to commemorate a group of kids who went way beyond "that extra mile" to help.

ladylightkeeper
Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25421 05/01/03 06:49 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Reading about the "Lighthouse Kids'" efforts reminds me a bit of the story of St. Helena and the assistance it got from the Boy Scouts. I believe Round Island was also helped by Boy Scouts. There are probably others where "kids" have played a part in restoration efforts. This latest story of the success at White Island is quite extraordinary! Hats off to them and most importantly their teacher! smile

Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25422 05/02/03 01:28 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Here's a couple of other views from Mother's Day 2001.
Bob

Isle of Shoals, White Island, NH

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25423 05/03/03 12:43 AM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
smile CONGRATULATIONS TO THE LIGHTHOUSE KIDS, A CHAPTER OF THE AMERICAN LIGHTHOUSE FOUNDATION FOR SECURING $250,000 FOR THE REPAIR AND RESTORATION OF THE WHITE ISLAND (ISLES OF SHOALS) LIGHTHOUSE! smile

What a fantastic job these young students from the N. Hampton School in New Hampshire have done under the guidance of their teacher Sue Reynolds!

Yes,if Harbour Lights would come out with the lighthouse it would be a great way to bring attention to the cause of the Lighthouse Kids of repairing, restoring and maintaining the Isles of Shoals Lighthouse.

The Isles of Shoals Steamship Company does have some great cruises out to ths Isles that do go past the White Island Lighthouse.

The Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse, another Chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation, and their President Jeremy D'Entremont are planning a Sunset Lighthouse Cruise on Friday, June 20th from 7 to 9 PM. The cruise will leave from the Rye Harbor State Marina on Rt. 1A in Rye, NH on board the M/V Granite State and you will get to view Portsmouth Harbor Light, Whaleback Light, White Island (Isles of Shoals) Light and the fascinating Isles of Shoals. There will be raffles on board including some Harbour Lights replicas and prizes. The cost is $20 per person.
For more information see: www.portsmouthharborlighthouse.org or if you wish to pay by credit card, email FPHL@lighthouse.cc

I'll say it once again - Congratulations to the Lighthouse Kids and their teacher Sue Reynolds for a job well done! The light from this historic beacon will continue to shine for years to come and it will reflect upon the Lighthouse Kids and all of the work they have done to preserve and protect the Isles of Shoals Lighthouse!

Respectfully,
Paul F. Conlin
Acting Secretary
American Lighthouse Foundation
www.lighthousefoundation.org

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: White Island Lighthouse, N.H. #25424 05/03/03 07:47 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I have taken the time to look more thoroughly at the links you have posted here. Bob, I think your photo on the rightside, and one of Jeremy's on his website, give the best angle and perspective for showing off both the lighthouse, keeper's house, and the walkway between, which is the architectural feature I would hope HL would highlight.

In looking at the historical photos and postcard on Jeremy's website, there are many interesting views that show the progress, and decline due to storm damage, of this complex. At one time there were a lot more buildings. If HL could sculpt this original configuration, it would be a wonderfu historical sculpture. This whole maritime island view would make a good sized sculpture.

I had gone mainly to this website to try and determine if that unusual walkway had once been white. It looks like it was in the olden days. But more modern photos show more of a gray-weathered shingled surface, with white overtones here and there. What do you think?

The white walkway would make the most striking interpretation, to go with the red-roofed buildings.

You can find Jeremy D'Entremont's site, called New England Lighthouses, A Virtual Guide at
www.lighthouse.cc Go to his Contents, then New Hampshire, and then White Island. This website could entertain you for hours, with info on all the New England lights.

Please post your interest, concentrating on the lighthouse. The more comments you make on this topic, the better the chance that HL will indeed sculpt this classic maritime setting.

ladylightkeeper

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users