Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25090 01/01/06 01:45 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
...Harry Hine and Don Devine will welcome your input on which lighthouses, lightships, lenses and related items to make under the "Harbour Lights" brand name.

I think a scale replica set of some of the tools of lighthkeepers might me nice accessories. Perhaps oil cans, waste containers, kerosine lamps, etc. Stuff that might have carried the USLHS imprint. Done in brass-plated pewter?

A USLHS Tender would be another great AB/HL cross-over item. Seeing the tender come into view over the horizon must have struck terror into the heart of some of the services' keepers on remote locations.

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25091 01/01/06 11:54 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about the first United States lightship?

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25092 01/01/06 12:38 PM
fra02441 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about a West Coast or Great Lakes Spyglass set

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25093 01/01/06 01:24 PM
B
bcatfan Offline
B
I'll second a West Coast or Great Lakes spyglass set.

A Gulf Coast set would be nice, too.

Beth
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25094 01/02/06 03:25 AM
beachcomber Offline
More spyglass sets sounds great, but I also like John's idea of the tools and tender.

beachcomber
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25095 01/02/06 11:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
It will be interesting to see what the new people will come up with for releases. I don't think we will see their influence on what is made for at least a year.

What will be offered in 2006 has probably been in the works for about six months to a year, and maybe even longer. This transition year will probably be one of going with the flow.

I personally don't feel we can change anything at this point for 2006. I'm sure what we say here and wish for will be given serious consideration in the future. This will happen as long as we have a great number of CF Members speaking up. If many voices speak up, the people on the other end will listen.

Area lights I would like to see Harbour Lights offer? Pomham Rock (East Providence, RI), Plum Beach Light (North Kingston, RI), Sakonnet Point (Little Compton, RI), East Chop & West Chop Lights (Martha's Vineyard, MA), Great Point Light (Nantucket, MA), Conanicut Light (Jamestown, RI), Watch Hill Light (Watch Hill, RI) are all lights I have visited and would be welcome additions to my collection.

smile Bob smile

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25096 01/02/06 02:11 PM
RFoster Offline
I remember standing on the deck of the boat, that Harbour Lights hired for a tour during the 1997 Collectors Reunion, and telling Kim & Nancy that I would like to see Harbour Lights do New London Harbor. They told me to mention it to Harry & Bill and to be persistent. I did and I have been at various events ever since.

I mentioned it again in 1998 here:

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/cgi-bin/forumscgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000058

I have been suggesting New London Harbor light every year since the 1997 Reunion and I would like to repeat it again here (Don, are you reading this?).

New London Harbor Light Station

I hope to see this important station (4th site for a lighthouse in this nation) added to the collection.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25097 01/02/06 02:53 PM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
I might be a bit off topic here, but I have a suggestion for the 'new' Harbour Lights.

I'd like to see more attention to the scale of the scuptures as they relate to one another. For instance, compare Boca Grande with Port St. Joseph. Each is a model of cottage style lighthouse, with the lantern room in the center of the roof. Yet Port St. Joseph is considerably larger than Boca Grande. Or compare Port St. Joseph with Cedar Key. Again, Port St. Joseph looms over the other piece.

One of the things I liked about the Cheryl Spencer-Collins line of lighthouse sculptures was that they were all in scale to one another. So, Cape Hatteras was the tallest model, with Ponce de Leon close, but not quite as tall and so forth.

It's considerably too late for Harbour Lights to do this, but I sure don't want to see any more pieces that are as obviously out of line as Port St. Joseph.

Rick

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25098 01/02/06 02:56 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I'll chime in on this one also Ron. New London Harbor would make a wonderful HL. Peristence is what we need and you've been at it since 1997. Dedicated is what you are.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25099 01/02/06 11:36 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
John, I asked BY once about making a lighthouse tender, one of the old steam powered ones. Believe it was on a chat once when Bill was on-line with Paul at the Midwest HL Museum. His answer was, no, that they'd probably never make one of those. No reason was given, maybe because he thought it wouldn't sell? I still think one of them would relate really well to the lighthouses, as most of our lighthouses are like really old. Lighthouses were visited by these old tenders "then" a whole lot more than they are visited "now" by modern CG vessels.

Rick, on your question of scale it seems that HL's have generally come in three sizes.

1. Normal

2. Smaller than normal

3. Larger than normal.

There was one year they were generally smaller than they had been. Some folks liked them (Hi Rock! wink ), some did not, said they looked like GLOWS.

So then, the next year maybe?, they were larger than average. Some folks liked those better, others did not. Said they took up too much space.

Maybe the examples you've quoted are a comparison of the smaller year's models with the following year(s)' models?

I agree that a more or less standard size would be best and prefer it to be smaller rather than larger. One of the main reasons cited by folks who quit collecting, or collect less, is that they simply run out of room.

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25100 01/03/06 02:21 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
I wish, we wish for the Castle!
Huntington Harbour Lighthouse photo by Frank Knoll @2005

more views and info at Huntinton Harbor LH web page

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25101 01/03/06 03:33 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
That is a great picture of Huntington Harbor Light. I would be very happy to add that one to my collection if Harbour Lights makes it.

Thanks for sharing the pic, Bob!

smile Bob smile

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25102 01/03/06 11:02 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Right John, we've been down that road before.

And I do believe Rick alluded to that type of scale a bit also. From a practical standpoint there's no way that that type of scale can be achieved.

I do believe that Rick's main point was in two similar sized lights being made in different sizes. And perhaps that a light which is in actuality larger than another being made smaller. But then this assumes that the outbuilding situation is the same also.

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25103 01/04/06 12:38 AM
beachcomber Offline
Great shot, Bob. Thanks for passing it along. It is a beautiful lighthouse.

beachcomber
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25104 01/04/06 04:22 AM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
...all of the GLOWs, LLOMs, battery-powered lenses, Xmas blinkers, balloons, and CG boats GO AWAY, and concentrate on making compact limited edition lighthouses (not stations) that are void of any gratuitous and fragile trees, fences, railings, flagpoles, outbuildings, and people...like they used to make back in '91 and '92...

I also wish they'd make a deliberate variation just to see if it pumps some life back into collecting again...like maybe make a few hundred Cape Arago, ORs with green water and quietly slip them into circulation...

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25105 01/04/06 11:18 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I also wish they'd make a deliberate variation just to see if it pumps some life back into collecting again...like maybe make a few hundred Cape Arago, ORs with green water and quietly slip them into circulation...
I second that motion! Greedily, I would love to see them do that to low numbered pieces but I do recognize very collector's right to find a variance on a dealer's shelves.

It might be a good business move to make say 10% of a production run with a paint variation. There are many collectors who would want the variation plus the regular issue of a piece.

This same variation concept could apply to lightning rod pieces. Imagine how the hunt would go if you announced that 10% of a new release have a tiny hole in the ventilator ball for the purpose of inserting a lightning rod.

Such a variation program could be titled, "The thrill of the hunt is back!" It would have my vote of confidence.

smile Bob smile

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25106 01/05/06 03:23 PM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I like the little Christmas Ornaments to hang on my tree every year. But have noticed that there aren't many from the good old south. So I would like to see the "new" Harbour Lights do more southern lights in Ornaments.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25107 01/05/06 05:10 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
A Hereford Inlet flag variation of only 300 was released in the fall of 2004 and as far as I could tell the collectors didn't flock all over it. I would bet the dealer still has some for sale.

But I do agree. Release a small number of some variations in one of the Lighthouse production. A few hundred green waters also sound like a good idea. Can’t do this all a time but maybe one a year. Also the numbers should be sporadic so that it is hard to find.

Quote:
How about a West Coast or Great Lakes Spyglass set
I also agree that a West Coast or Great Lakes spyglass set would be nice.

DANIEL
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25108 01/05/06 11:25 PM
Rock Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Don't hold your breath for the Spyglass Sets...I asked Bill about them 'bout 4-5 years ago at a Navy Pier Collectible Show, if the series was dead...and he seemed to take me seriously, wrote something down on a piece of paper, but still we have no Spyglasses, only those annoying LLOMs...

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25109 01/06/06 02:21 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Daniel - What was the variation on Hereford Inlet? I had not heard about that one.

Rich
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25110 01/06/06 09:58 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint

DANIEL
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25111 01/06/06 02:24 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanls for giving the information again Daniel.

Rich
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25112 01/06/06 06:01 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My perspective might be a bit different on the subject, but here's my "wish."

As you may know, I'm not really an HL collector. I have a few pieces, but nothing really rare or expensive. My reason is that I'm 16 and it's hard for me to really be able to afford any kind of major collection. (This is why I have turned to collecting things like license plates, which I can get 10-20 of for the price of an average LE).

But there are times that I will break. Stuff like the $30 Bailey's Harbor piece and the $50 CF Exclusive. I'm also considering buying the $40 Price's Creek, though I'd like to see if I can find it somewhere on a sort of sale, and I might wait to see the actual light first (which would eventually make a larger collection have smaller parameters and not as extensive). But I'm more likely to buy that $40 Price's Creek than a more expensive piece.

So...my wish would be to make one or two pieces every year that fit into that "affordable and small" category. There's a few this year...Mystic and Port Clinton...so basically I want them to keep coming. It'll make the people complaining about price and size happy, too, and it could be a good avenue to make some small, but unique, lights.

So, I guess that's my wish...

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25113 01/06/06 11:01 PM
beachcomber Offline
It's a very good wish, Greg - and a very sensible one for a 16 yr. old!

beachcomber
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25114 01/06/06 11:41 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Great thinking Greg. Your idea is one that HL should pay attention to. That way all collectors can have something going for them.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25115 01/09/06 11:47 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
So...my wish would be to make one or two pieces every year that fit into that "affordable and small" category.
Greg
That is a good idea.
Every lighthouse doesn't have all the extras that make a lighthouse cost more. A few a year should be chosen to make without the keepers house and a boat. The price should be no more than $40

Also a cheaper limited edition would be great for gifts. When HL use to make the $35 store event I use to buy extras for some of my kids. At $75 I just buy one.

DANIEL
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25116 01/09/06 10:41 PM
Zachary Offline
I wish they'd make some hurricane katrina destroyed lights, mainly Chandeleur Island but I'd also like to see West Rigolets.

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25117 01/09/06 10:49 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ditto on Greg's idea.

I would like West Rigolets also. I only saw it from a distance (had hoped to get closer on a return trip), but at least I saw it before it went.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25118 01/11/06 02:00 AM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Here is my request to create a Saginaw River Rear Range Lighthouse piece. Although I am very biased on this smile , It is long overdue for its time in the spotlight. I know Harbour Lights has given it a look in the past and there were some discussions, I hope the new management will give the old girl a second look.

It was mentioned above. How about some new ornaments? The Frensel Lenses of the past few years were nice, but it would be nicer to get back to the lighthouses.

-Todd

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25119 01/12/06 01:46 AM
beachcomber Offline
Saginaw River Rear Range Light has my vote. I would snap up a chance to have one of those!

beachcomber
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25120 01/12/06 11:52 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I agree with Zachary... some of the destroyed lights would be great!
And Greg is right too. The high prices are putting me right off (considering that I will have to pay extortionate postage costs as well) ... LLOMs would be an alternative. But ... we need new issues ...
How about a LLOM "We recreate destroyed lights" series?

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25121 01/16/06 11:30 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Well, I haven't seen the one I've always wanted listed by anybody here and maybe I should give up on it even though Harbour Lights has said it is taken care of. Maybe they have done all the San Fancisico Lights they are going to do. Or maybe the "bridge" is just too hard to get in. I guess I should just be happy with my "unbroken" crib piece and give it up for something not asked for as long. If anybody can figure out what I'm after, post it then I won't be the only one.

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25122 01/19/06 12:10 AM
Don M Offline
Harry and Don,

Once again I would like Harbour Lights to duplicate the Hurricane Rita survivor - Sabine Pass. I would be willing to share pictures of this most unusual lighthouse structure.

Don M
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25123 03/07/06 11:34 PM
V
volunteerflamekeeper Offline
V
I wished Harbour Lights would make a version, of Fort Sumter South Carolina. It no longer stands and I've only seen it in pictures, but I think, that it would be a beautiful peice!

Jimmy
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25124 03/08/06 04:57 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
In Charleston, the steeple on St. Philips church had a light which served as a rear range for Fort Sumter Lighthouse 1893-1915. So it would be nice to have both as a set. The light on the steeple by the way was a locomotive light from the front of a train. The church is in the historic district.

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25125 03/08/06 10:27 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would like to see more foreign, especially England, lights, in the little lights also.
HCS

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25126 03/09/06 03:01 AM
beachcomber Offline
Eric, that's a terrific suggestion! That would be a really neat set.

beachcomber
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25127 03/11/06 10:57 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I've about given up on Point Bonita, Bridge and all. I don't think it will ever be made. frown mad

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25128 03/13/06 02:58 AM
beachcomber Offline
Oh, I hope you are wrong. That would be a terrific one!

beachcomber
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25129 03/16/06 04:28 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
HCS wrote:
I would like to see more foreign, especially England, lights, in the little lights also.
My sentiments exactly!!! smile

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25130 03/16/06 05:45 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
HCS
Quote:
My sentiments exactly!!!
There is no doubt that there are many foreign lights that would make great additions to our collections. Perhaps this is what the previous owners had in mind when they initiated the Pharos Series. Then the Pharos went the way of cone cups at a soda fountain.

I could never figure out why HL's from the International Series are such poor sellers. You can actually buy these pieces for less than 25 cents on the dollar. These pieces are extremely well done but they don't sell.

I'm sure the new owners of Harbour Lights will generate new releases that they figure will sell out within a reasonable period of time. That means popular lights that collectors will buy for their collections. The past track record of the International Series may have a negative effect on future foreign lights being released by the "Men from Maine".

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25131 03/16/06 07:51 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Bob,
Where can you get foreign Harbour Lights (Pharos)?
I would love to have any that are of English Lighthouses. I did manage to get Hook Head the Irish lighhouse and have Longships.
HCS smile

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25132 03/16/06 09:05 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Hilari, There also was the Eddystone Light (not the current one, but one of the older ones).

Check the New Marketplace for any folks with a set of Pharos for sale. You can also put a "wanted" ad in that section.

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25133 03/17/06 02:38 AM
beachcomber Offline
Hilari, I just noticed in another thread that you made Wacko status - obviously a few days ago. Belated Congratulations!

Quote:
Then the Pharos went the way of cone cups at a soda fountain.
Love the analogy, Bob!

beachcomber
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25134 03/17/06 12:01 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
I could never figure out why HL's from the International Series are such poor sellers. You can actually buy these pieces for less than 25 cents on the dollar. These pieces are extremely well done but they don't sell.
I have some LLOM and also the Pharos etc. and I think the reason the Pharos were not so long lived is the quality of the figures. While they are OK, they are not as good as the ususal HLs.

Hilari keep your eye on eBay. The English lights do turn up there - if infrequently!

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25135 03/17/06 02:19 PM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks for the tip about the new marketplace for English lights Dave and Margret for suggesting e-bay. I have seen some of the pharos being sold individually on e-bay but not complete set and very pricy $125.00 each if I remember correctly.

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25136 03/17/06 06:33 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Here is a link to a set of Pharos being sold on the New Marketplace. Randy may still have them.

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=43;t=001183

Rich
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25137 03/18/06 12:30 AM
HCS Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Thanks Rich - Randy's set has been sold.
HCS frown

Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25138 03/18/06 01:22 AM
beachcomber Offline
They are going to be pricey whether sold individually or in a set. That's why I have not been able to get any - I would prefer to put that kind of money into a lighthouse trip.

beachcomber
Re: I Wish Harbour Lights Would Make... #25139 04/17/06 12:16 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
No new posts in the "Wish List" forum for a month. This thread has reached 49 posts so I think for continuity sake, I'll close it down and start a new thread one post early.

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users