Print Thread
Florida and others #25033 07/09/08 12:51 AM
E
erniedee Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
E
Being a Florida resident, I'd love to HL to consider making the three missing reef lights Alligator Reef, Carysfort Reef and Sombrero Key.
Though not in Florida, another reef light, Ship Shoal, LA.
Also Carabelle and Tierra Verde.

HL has produced 9 out of the 10 lighthouses on the National Register of Historical Landmarks. Missing is Cape Ann, MA

One can only hope.

Re: Florida and others #25034 07/09/08 01:22 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I'm sure most are "in the pipeline" as they say. However, I would expect lights such as the reef lights to be spaced out in model years because they will be fairly expensive because of all the metal work that would be required.

Send Tony a note (as he invited people to) about the lights you would like to see produced.

Re: Florida and others #25035 07/09/08 06:22 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Also ask for them to make Little Light of Mine for the Reef Lights already made. I have already written Tony about both.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Florida and others #25036 07/09/08 09:44 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
If I was Harbour Lights I would not want to issue the Florida Lights to quick, I would release no more than one a year. Florida lights are popular and along with the other South and mid Atlantic lighthouses probably are the best sellers. After the Florida Lights are all made you have to ask what other southern lighthouse can HL produce. I don’t think there are very many lighthouses left in Georgia, Carolinas, Virginia and the mid Atlantic States to make. The Gulf States will probably run out of lighthouse as the same time Florida runs out. Not going to Help HL to sell lighthouses if all they have to make is north Atlantic, Great Lakes and Pacific states.

So in my opinion you are going to see the Florida Lights issued very sparingly.

That’s my thoughts.

DANIEL
Re: Florida and others #25037 07/09/08 10:29 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Also still plenty of lighthouses from Maryland and New Jersey that can be replicated.

IMO, I think there should be a release for Florida, NJ & Maryland each year. These are states that have high populations and many Harbour Lights collectors, arguably the most collectors.

Also don't forget about our "gone but not forgotten" lighthouses. I hope to see replicas of Choctaw Point - Alabama, West Rigolets - Louisiana, & Bergen Point - New Jersey made in the next few years.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Florida and others #25038 07/09/08 11:06 PM
E
erniedee Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
E
I'm totally in agreement with Lighthouse Loon. I'd be happy with one a year from FL, NJ and MD.
Also think more of the "lighthouses gone" would be great.
Any thoughts about Cape Ann?
Ernie

Re: Florida and others #25039 07/10/08 05:43 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I too would like to see more "Gone but not forgotten" lights made.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: Florida and others #25040 07/10/08 10:25 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Also still plenty of lighthouses from Maryland and New Jersey that can be replicated.
Well you are right about the Mid Atlantic; I came up with 11 Maryland and 10 New Jersey. (I am amazed how many lighthouses the “Lighthouse people” have logged in, I don’t remember that many the time I was in that area 10 years ago)
Okay; But it is still true about Florida and the other Southern Atlantic States we are running out of lighthouses to be made.

“Gone but not forgotten” are nice but I don’t think they are a big seller like the real thing. To keep the collectables alive thru these economic tying times, HL need Home run good sellers. If HL make anymore “Gone but not forgotten” lighthouses they will have to be more than just a lighthouse that once existed, it will have to have a theme and a purpose. Like the mobile Point Alabama.

DANIEL
Re: Florida and others #25041 07/10/08 12:18 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by erniedee:
Any thoughts about Cape Ann?
I think Cape Ann is on many collectors wishlist. I think the Chops are the number one requested MA lighthouse(s), but Cape Ann is a close second/third. My guess is we'll see a Cape Ann replica in the next few years.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Florida and others #25042 07/11/08 09:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Looking back at the LE's of the Gone But Not Forgotten as well as this years Bishop and Clerks, I'm more than happy to purchase this series and look forward to additional pieces in the future. I think they have class. Cape Henlopen is one of my favorites. But my request this year to HL was answered. Keep 'em coming.

Re: Florida and others #25043 07/12/08 06:54 PM
E
erniedee Offline OP
Wacko
OP Offline
Wacko
E
As a post script to an e-mail I sent to HL I suggested to them that it probably would go over well if they re-did some of the Florida lights.

For instance, release Cape St. George and Boca Grande and full size limited editions. Cape St. George maybe as a "before and after" the collapse.
Also a new retored Cape Forida full size to match #209 thus converting them into a before and after. Right now I have both 209 and 432 Cape Floridas, but I don't keep them side by side.

Re: Florida and others #25044 07/15/08 10:31 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Redo's are actually not very popular with the CF faithful. I was once a hopeful that HL would release a better replica of Barnegat and Sandy Hook, but doubt that will happen. Usually if the LE is not accurate, the GLOW version comes long more accurate. If both are now released, don't expect another version. But I've learned never say never.

Atleast if they do a redo, as long as it's not something that will cost $140-$150 when the original is an excellent replica wink .

As for the Cape Florida LE & GLOW, these look like excellent replicas. What more could HL add to another? And Cape St. George, maybe a limited LLOM to commemorate it's relighting? Boca Grande is actually one of my favorite replicas. What is missing?

This is just my opinion, coming from someone who lives in NJ. I'm more aware of the inaccuracies of the NJ lights and probably have no clue what is missing on the FL lights.

IMO, With so many other lighthouses not being done yet, I would think they should take priority.

But here on the CF, everybody can wish !!!

cheers

Stan M
Re: Florida and others #25045 07/15/08 09:19 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
They should re-do Cape St. George since the original model is with the tilt. It would be nice to have one without.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Florida and others #25046 08/15/08 01:08 PM
ginnyanne Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Speaking of Maryland Lighthouses . . . There are 40 lighthouses and 3 Lightships on the Chesapeake Bay - as counted by the Chesapeake Chapter of the USLHS. One a year would still take a long time to run out of Chesapeake lights and these are just the ones that have not "crossed the bar". I would like to see Bloody Point next.

Re: Florida and others #25047 08/15/08 02:18 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
Quote:
I was once a hopeful that HL would release a better replica of Barnegat and Sandy Hook, but doubt that will happen. Usually if the LE is not accurate, the GLOW version comes long more accurate
Actually the GLOW version of Barnegat is LESS accurate that the LE. I don't understand the white hemisphere on the top of the lantern room. That "feature" was repeated on the LLOM of Barnegat. I am quite happy with my LE version.

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users