cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24722 05/14/02 01:56 AM
RFoster Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been preaching this since 1997, when I mentioned it to Bill, Kim, Nancy & Harry Hine at the San Diego Reunion.

Harbour Lights has done the following sites: Boston, MA (1716), Brant Point, MA (1746) and Beavertail, RI (1749).

It is time for Harbour Lights to do the site of the fouth lighthouse in the America, New London Harbor, CT (1760).

It would be a great piece, especially with the Barque Eagle passing by. New London is the Home Port for the Coast Guard Barque Eagle and home to the USCG Academy. The USCG has just committed millions of dollars to building a first-class museum at Fort Trubull, just up the road from New London Harbor Lighthouse.

I realize that all of the towers that now stand on these first four sites are not the original towers, having been blown up in battles, destroyed by fire or storm, or just rebuilt from better materials because the originals were falling apart.

I also suggested that Harbour Lights make this a two piece proposition. The lighthouse can be a Harbour Lights piece and the Eagle could be an Anchor Bay piece, but the two could be made to "fit together" or be displayed separately.

Another idea would be to have an early submarine passing by the lighthouse. After all, Groton/New London area is the Submarine Capital of the World (home to the world's first nuclear powered sub, Nautilus, which is a national museum now at the Subbase).

At any rate, there are many of you who sailed past this lighthouse while in the service. It has served it's country well and deserves to be made, to join the others who's sites were the first in our country.

Please, join me in supporting this effort to let Harbour Lights know that New London Harbor Lighthouse must be done.

Thanks,
Ron
(CT Keeper)
[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 05-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 05-22-2002).]

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24723 05/14/02 10:56 AM
J
JCRice Offline
J
I couldn't agree more! I think that New London Harbor would make for an excellent HL piece. And the natural tie-in to an Anchor Bay piece would be another very creative move on Harbour Lights part (along the lines of the regional "golds" and the 4 Fort Tompkins pieces...)

Count me in as a New London supporter!!!

--Jeff
Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24724 05/14/02 12:37 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ron,

I know it's not quite the same thing- but until Harbour Lights makes what you want get a Sandy Hook and pretend the Lantern room is a priceless variation.

Just kidding.

Dennis

Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24725 05/14/02 10:18 PM
Randy Kremer Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Great idea Ron! I haven't heard New London Harbor mentioned here in a while. I think it's about time for Harbour Lights to produce this very historic lighthouse! It has been seen by many people over the years and I think it would be a big seller! I have also been wondering what the hold up is on making this great piece of history!

New London Harbor Light - CT

[This message has been edited by Randy Kremer (edited 05-14-2002).]

Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24726 05/14/02 10:31 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Should the red pick-up be included, Ron?

Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24727 05/15/02 11:08 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I would like to see this one made and I definitely would purchase it.

Bert

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24728 05/15/02 06:06 PM
Handyman Offline
New London is a great pick! Put me on the band wagon. I love the submarine idea as well- now that would be unique! That's a nice photo, Mombo. I'll have to stop by New London for a look on the way up to the Cape this August.

Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24729 05/21/02 03:15 PM
Cana Fan Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ahh... I see a few other people ignored that sign in the front yard forbidding pictures be taken of the property!

Mike

Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24730 05/21/02 11:17 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Mike, as I was approaching, didn't the owner decide to come out of the house en route to her neighbor. She was a pretty crotchedy old lady who wore a baseball type cap but I sweet talked her so got in a bit closer. Said she'd lived there since the 40's I believe. I did take her picture but as she was standing near the pick-up it was so dark it really didn't turn out well enough to post.

Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24731 05/22/02 08:43 PM
RFoster Offline OP
OP Offline
I think that the pick-up truck (and the crotchety old lady) should be left off of the HL sculpture. It's too bad that CT is NOT a very friendly Lighthouse State. There are many lighthouses that you cannot get near or in.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24732 05/22/02 10:45 PM
Stan Offline
Yo, Harbour Lights -- I heartily second Ron's proposal. New London Harbor has long been a favorite of this Florida boy, even though he never sailed by it during his Navy career.
I like the idea of a submarine (Nautilus would be a good choice) as part of the piece, though I fear that could elevate the price, perhaps significantly. With or without a ship (and a sub is a ship), an historic and handsome light such as NLH is overdue for production.

Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24733 05/23/02 09:59 AM
Stainz Offline
I was stationed on the sub tender Fulton, AS-11, stationed at the State Pier in New London. I actually left the ship in late 72 - while we were off Sardegnia, Italy. We were part of Nautilus' squadron, Submarine Squadron 10, including Seawolf. I remember going by the lights as we went to sea periodically to dump nuclear waste, actually primary coolant. I also recall seeing the German war-prize, renamed Eagle, come in with the tide with the crew 'manning the rails, etc', and hit the new span of the new I-95 bridge. I think the Nautilus - or even our old tender - would make a more appropriate A-B model for New London. I'd certainly buy the lighthouse!

John

PS By international agreement, we would not dump our waste in shipping lanes. Fishing lanes were okay, of course. Ahhh, remember the old McD's fish sandwich's... I recall that eerie glow in the dark of the New England codfish.... just kidding, of course!

Re: Site of the Fourth Lighthouse Station in America #24734 05/23/02 02:28 PM
Lightseeker Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Didn't you guys know? Several HL Limited Editions have been modeled with a submarine passing them. You just have to look into the water really, really hard!

Bruce

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,055 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users