Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24643 06/07/07 11:18 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Since a winter version was done for Portland Head & Cape Neddick, wouldn't a winter version of Sandy Hook look great as a HL LE?

If it could be done as it was when the British occupied it during the American Revolution, it would also double as a piece history fans would also collect.

Plus it would correct the original less detailed(but very valueble) original HL104, and the way to small scaled GLOW HL418.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24644 06/07/07 12:21 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
As I have begged many times before, please no more remakes of Limited Editions.. Make an improved GLOW of Sandy Hook with snow, but one Limited per lighthouse is enough..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24645 06/07/07 12:27 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
No

There are a lot of deserving new HLs to be made!

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24646 06/07/07 01:11 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
So, like, a Christmas piece?

It could work there...but otherwise...there was some controversy over the Hereford piece...why start it all over again?

And I think that if they were to do another seasonal recreation, it'd be unlikely that they'd do another NJ light.

BUT...with the new 3-year Christmas series, there might not even be any Christmas gaps for a few years.

Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24647 06/07/07 03:06 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by WackoPaul:
Make an improved GLOW of Sandy Hook with snow
That would be fine for me, as long as it's not as small as the current GLOW version.

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24648 06/07/07 03:08 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by seagirt:
So, like, a Christmas piece?

No, Like the HL317 Portland Head, but I wouldn't mine a Christmas version instead. We would have to wait till 2010 for an opening.

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24649 06/07/07 03:13 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by rscroope:
No

There are a lot of deserving new HLs to be made!

Bob
Bob, I agree, but there are a few pass LE's that could have a more accurate replica.

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24650 06/07/07 03:19 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Then they are not LE's but unlimited editions..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24651 06/07/07 03:24 PM
CAVR Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
How about combining a new LE that we've never seen before with some snow?

I got it!! towel

How about Mark Island Light (Winter Harbor), Maine with light snow on the roof of the house, pinetree, and granite rocks..... awe.... I can just picture it.

-Christopher
"CAVR"
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24652 06/07/07 03:30 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by WackoPaul:
Then they are not LE's but unlimited editions..
Are you referring to "unlimited editions" = Glow's or multiple LE's as in Portland Head, Cape Neddick, etc.?

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24653 06/07/07 03:32 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by CAVR:

I got it!! towel

How about [b]Mark Island Light (Winter Harbor), Maine
with light snow on the roof of the house, pinetree, and granite rocks..... awe.... I can just picture it. [/b]
CAVR, I'm all for some new Maine lighthouses as well. towel

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24654 06/07/07 03:57 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
On further thought, I think another replica of Sandy Hook should be put off for now.

Hopefully there will be one in seven years, marking the 250 anniversary of the oldest serving lighthouse in the US.

Maybe some money could go to some restorations of the lighthouse, or if it has a muesem.

This way everybody will be happy and it won't seem like a redo. wink

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24655 06/07/07 05:19 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by CAVR:

I got it!! towel

How about [b]Mark Island Light (Winter Harbor), Maine
with light snow on the roof of the house, pinetree, and granite rocks..... awe.... I can just picture it. [/b]
Winter Harbor...

IN WINTER!

Now that's synergy.

Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24656 06/08/07 10:59 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Wait till you hear my idea for the 150th anniversary of the current Barnegat Light. laugh

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24657 06/13/07 04:03 PM
kikigl Offline
That Mark Island with snow sounds very good to me! As you probably know by now I like Maine lights! vhappy

Kay
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24658 06/16/07 01:53 AM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This is the 150th Anniversary of New Dungeness Lighthouse. A LE has been made of the way it looks today but it would be great to have a LE of the 1857 lighthouse before the tower was lowered to it's current 63 feet. So many people have stayed at the lighthouse and I would think that the LE would be a big seller.

Do you think there is any chance that H.L. would do this one?

Judy

Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24659 06/16/07 10:39 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
I haven't been saying too much lately as I've been working a lot of hours but I have to take the time on this one. I also don't want to offend anyone with my answer so please take it with a grain of salt.

"LEAVE THE LIMITED EDITIONS ALONE'. Don't ask to remake any of the limited editions. Instead spend the money and buy the real thing instead of trying to take the easy way out and getting a remake or buy the GLOW. Be satisfied with what Harbour Lights is making and don't ask for more to be made just because out of the 6-7 they make at a time you only want one. We've had enough Hatteras, St Augustine and Portland Head lighthouses so let's concentrate on one's that have not been produced. It's taken many years and a change in command to finally get this idea that duplication of a LE is a bad thing so let's not upset the apple cart by asking for more reintroductions. If you don't have the LE then buy the real thing, buy the GLOW, buy the LLOM or just suck it up and go without it.

Rich
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24660 06/16/07 12:29 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Tony has stated that HL does not intend to remake any LE as another LE. I think many collectors appreciate this position.

Looking for a new version of an already made LE, I would think your best hope is for a GLOW or a LL.

Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24661 06/16/07 02:37 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
nono I'm trying to take Rich's comments with a grain of salt, but their more pepper with a lot of collectors then salt. wink

First off, I agree that only one LE should be made for every lighthouse. And for those that need a better model, or a milestone edition, they should make a GLOW or a Special Edition version, or both(for different reasons).

Second, the long-timers need to stop dictating to the newbies what HL should do or not do. All options and wishes matter. This is a wishlist tread and with freedom of speech. Anybody who's a CF member can post their wishes here. Now does it go anywhere, does the folks at HL read or listen or care what we wish for, I don't know. But it can't hurt to try.

The HL collecting market has been on a down swing for a few years. But there has been alot of new interest lately. I feel Harbour Lights needs to listen to all collectors and not just the those long-timers who have to collect everyone. The newbies are just as important as the long-timers. I feel a larger diverse selection of LE's is the way to go to get more collectors interested.

The models over the last few years have been excellent. Alot of collectors can't help but wonder what an updated version of their favorite light might look like with todays sculpting.

Many of us will be happy with a GLOW or full size Special Edition, to correct or pay tribute to a certain lighthouse.

I get many emails for CF members who are afraid to post there views, wishes, or ideas. It's nice that they support my views and I do encourage them to post anything they want to say on the CF(within the boards rules of course). smile

I'll get of my soap box now! laugh

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24662 06/16/07 07:10 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Loon - I agree with you that everyone should voice their opinion and not be afraid to do so. But, that works both ways and the "long timers" should also be able to voice their opinions without being blamed for others not voicing their own opinions. All of us were new to the forums at one time but voiced our opinions and thoughts on many subjects. These opinions and thoughts, may or may not have been taken seriously, but we still voiced them. I voiced my opionion this morning and should not be held responsible for others being afraid to go up against the "long timers". While I collect HLs because I love lighthouses and have worked on many in my 23 year career in the Coast Guard, that is not the sole reason I collect them. I also collect them so I can pass on some sort of inheritance to my children other then money and with continued reproductions of existing lighthouses, the value of my collection keeps decreasing. I also am deeply involved in collecting Florida Gator and Cleveland Browns sports memorabila. To have a signed football by Otto Graham, a 1964 Browns Championship football signed by the 22 starters, a 2006 & 2007 Gator National Championship Basketball signed by the starting five, a 1996 or 2006 National Championship Football signed by Spurier, Wuerffel, Myer and Leak or a Cape Hatteras Mold I signed by Bill Younger are things to cherish. To have a silk screened signed version of any of the above footballs or a special edition of Cape Hatteras or any of the other high value Harbour Lights takes away from the mystique of owning the real thing.

Another statement that you have made in the past is that you wanted more lighthouses made so that you can buy what appeals to you and leave the rest. This is what you want to do and you have that right to do exactly that, but, some of us are committed to buying all limited edition pieces that are put out and this is taxing on our budget if we go back to 20-25 limited editions in a year to satisfy the 2-3 pieces a year buyer. I'm not saying you don't have a right to voice your opinion, and you should voice it, but the reason that Harbour Lights was in as sad a shape as it was is by over producing both the edition size and the number of pieces that were put out each year. Had Harbour Lights continued on the self destuctive path they were on, many of us"long timers" would not be here now and if you had been around 4-5 years ago you would see that many "long timers" are gone primarily for the reason that you are trying to promote and that is "more reintroduction of existing Harbour Lights and more introductions each year.

With that being said, I will say no more on this subject and if you want to continue this discussion on a more personal nature, please email me and I will give you many more facts on why the decision of Harbour Lights to limit production and do away with reintroductions is the smartest choice that has been made in the last 6-7 years. Thank you Tony, Harry and company for reaching this decision.

Rich
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24663 06/16/07 08:10 PM
Bill and Judy Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
First of all I don't see how an earlier version of a lighthouse that was drastically changed is a "reintroduction." I also do not like taking the same LE and doing it over and over or in a different season but if it changed over the years what is the harm if it is what people want? Anyhow if it came out as a GlOW I would buy it even though I collect primarily LEs.

There was another manufacture that produced the 1857 version but I cannot locate it. There is a replica in the keepers quarters but I couldn't make out the manufacturer and the gift house in Bend, OR is out of business. Of course it isn't near the quality of H.L. but it does show the lighthouse in its original form with a black and white 100 foot tower. I would buy another brand only in the case that H.L. has not produced the version I am looking for. I am very loyal to H.L. but if I have to look elsewhere for a particular version I will. Mine was only a suggestion not a plea to continue reintroducing LE!

I collect H.L. because I love lighhouses but I guess since I don't buy every LE I'm not a serious collector. Over 250, four curios and a packed basement is about as serious as I can handle!

So anyhow, sorry to have mentioned the topic.
Judy

Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24664 06/16/07 08:11 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Rich, No need to take this offline. I was just giving a rebutal to you telling those who want redo's to "suck it up" and don't ask for them.

Many of us are Ok with waiting for a GLOW version to update an old model or correct it. I would like to see full size special editions for some lights to mark milestones like 150 or 250 year old lights. Not LLOM LE's.

If you don't like my suggestion/wishes or another CF member, please don't tell us to "suck it up" and deal with the current version. Just say you disagree. Odds are more in your favor that HL won't produce the redo. But if they see a market for it, they might.

As for us who want HL not to cut back on the number of different LE's released each year. You are right, I'm for a larger selection, but I'm OK with the amount of HL's released this year. I count 21 LE's not including the LLOM LE's. From which I'll probably buy 14 or 15 of them. To me more selection means more choices, thats all. If only 15 LE were made, I may have only bought 10.

I feel as long as HL keeps the edition sizes down to 1500 or 2500 and release about 20 LE's, 5 or 6 GLOW's, and a few Special Editions for special milestones, the HL collecting market will rise to great heights again.

By the way, you collect some really cool stuff !!! cool

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24665 06/17/07 08:23 AM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Quote:
I would like to see full size special editions for some lights to mark milestones like 150 or 250 year old lights. Not LLOM LE's.
Isn't it GOOD that we are all differnt? cool

I for one LOVE LOVE LOVE the LLOM specials!!!! I'd love to shout "MORE PLEASE"

But then I am into LLOMs and my ambition is to have all of them some day. (some hope, but it can't hurt to try wink )

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24666 06/17/07 01:48 PM
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Quote:
Originally posted by Lighthouse Duo:
Isn't it GOOD that we are all differnt? cool

I for one [b]LOVE LOVE LOVE the LLOM
specials!!!! I'd love to shout "MORE PLEASE"

But then I am into LLOMs and my ambition is to have all of them some day. (some hope, but it can't hurt to try wink ) [/b]
No reason they should stop the LLOM LE's, my wish is to also have a full size as well.

Most of the collectors I know are either LE collectors or LLOM collectors, not both. I guess it depends on your available space to display or your budget.

There is a market for both.

Stan M
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24667 06/17/07 11:57 PM
Cyndi Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I started out just buying the LE for the lighthouses I have seen and the LLOM for the rest of the lighthouses in that state. But it has grown to both LEs and LLOM for everything. I love the LLOM specials, I have one already and have two others ordered. For me the LLOM take up less space to display, and the LEs have taken over my house. And I don't have near as many as most of you. There are several of the early pieces I would still like to get, but there are also some that have not been done yet that I would like to see HL do. So I feel I have a better chance of seeing a lighthouse like Wood Island being done if they do not redo lighthouses they have already done. I love St. Augustine too, but I have three different versions of it in my curio now and three versions of Portland Head amoung others that I have two or three versions of. Now I would like to see pieces done of other lighthouses I love and that have given me very special memories.

Cyndi
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24668 06/28/07 07:45 PM
kikigl Offline
Interesting discussion.
When I first started collecting Harbour Lights I loved them all! I really didn't know the difference, or care, whether it was a LE or a Glow. I soon "wised up" and now I do mostly collect LE's. But sometimes the Glow's have so much more detail than the early LE's that I do buy one of those. I would also like to collect the LLOM. I now buy only the ones I've seen and
am trying to get caught up on those. I just got a new curio and that is full of the ones I had in boxes, so now I need another one.
Does this ever stop?
And all this in a condo? frustrated

Kay
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24669 06/28/07 07:48 PM
kikigl Offline
And I forgot to mention-the Society Pieces, the Xmas Pieces and ................. confused

Kay
Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24670 06/28/07 08:28 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Kay,

Unfortunately, it never stops. I currently have eight curios of various sizes and shapes. And they are just about filled to the brim.

I also live in a condo. I'm about ready to throw away my living room couch. laugh

bobo

Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24671 06/29/07 08:58 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I will not purchase any more curios for my home. I had to put an addition on to accomodate the displays I have now.

Now I currently rotate my displays about three times a year. Displayed lights go back to their boxes, and new lights take their place. Some lights stay on display all the time because I like them or they do not have an original box.

My stock has closed in around 700 pieces or so. I've still been buying but sales are slow. Not a big thing because I feel Harbour Lights has made the turn and, hopefully, sales will improve over the next few years. I'm still a believer (dreamer???).

The original topic is the winter version of Sandy Hook. I'm not in favor of remaking LE's, but if it makes other collectors happy, then let it be done.
smile Bob smile

Re: Winter Version Of Sandy Hook #24672 06/29/07 12:42 PM
kikigl Offline
Bobo, I am "throwing out my couch"! (Unfortunately, I have to get a new one. violin

Kay

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 821 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users