Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Credit Card/Junk Mail lists #2460 01/02/01 05:04 PM
J
Joanne Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Since September 11, 2000, I have learned more about security and detective work than I ever wanted to know. My boss has been the target of an anonymous harassment and it's been quite stressful for both of us.

The following paragraph was in our security newsletter and I thought I would pass it on to all of you for your information and use.

"Corporate Security regularly receives questions about "identity theft," a growing trend in the United States. One factor contributing to this problem is the extent of personal financial information that is contained in offers mailed from credit card and credit companies. This "junk mail" often contains valuable personal information such as birth dates, social security numbers and address information, and should be shredded before being placed in the trash.

To remove your name from credit company mailing lists, call 1-888-567-8688 to place yourself on the 'opt-out' list, and to reduce the amount of junk mail with private information that you receive and drop in the trash."

Joanne

Re: Credit Card/Junk Mail lists #2461 01/03/01 12:13 PM
Pat PalmerBall Offline
Thanks Joanne for bringing this up. Our house shreads everything from any company soliciting us for anything. Now you all might think this is a tad bit over the edge but let me explain. Several years ago my brother-in-law was approached by his garbage men. Of course he could not figure out why the men would make a special trip to his back door Anyway, they proceeded to explain to him that several days in a row a stranger requested that he be allowed to go through his garbage or even buy his garbage. Ever since then we all shread everything! Credit card solicitations, anytype of special offers, receipts with credit card numbers on them, cancelled checks, bank statements, old pay check stubs. Anything that in anyway could be used to trace back to us.
It is much better to be careful than to worry about trying to rebuild your life. So be careful.

KYKEEPER - Pat

Re: Credit Card/Junk Mail lists #2462 01/04/01 02:21 PM
S
Savannah Brian Offline
S
Thanks for the info, Joanne. I just enrolled my wife & I in the service. I am an avid shredder of stuff as well. It's a shame that we, as a society, have to resort to such levels to keep things out of the hands of crooks & criminals.

Re: Credit Card/Junk Mail lists #2463 01/04/01 10:19 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks for the information, Joanne. Recently I've been seeing quite a few news stories on T.V. about this problem which appears to be growing by the day.

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Credit Card/Junk Mail lists #2464 01/05/01 03:10 AM
J
Jo Ann/Texas Offline
J
I am glad to know about this number. I am still getting credit cards in my fathers name and he had been dead for three years. I have not been able to stop them. I will try this number.

------------------
Jo Ann/Texas

Jo Ann/Texas

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,582 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users