Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24498 01/27/05 04:38 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
If you look at the Anchor Bay line right now, it is pretty much limited to lightships and USCG vessels. While these are all craft that we love, I was thinking of how HL could take the AB line, and turn it into something that could serve a much bigger demographic, meaning more sales.

As you know, I'm a BIG ocean liner fan, especially the modern liners like Queen Elizabeth 2, Canberra, France/Norway, etc. I think it would be a very cool addition to my collection of nautical memorobilia to have a Harbour Lights model of QE2 transisting the Atlantic Ocean. Or a Lusitania or Queen Mary or a Normandie. I know that there is also a big market for ocean liner models, and this could be something that could get more than just lighthouse people into HLs, while still creating product that said lighthouse people, without whom they would not exist, would enjoy and appreciate.

Also...I know that there are many Great Lakers amongst us, as well as not amongst us, who are obsessed with chasing down tankers and lakers on America's Inland Seas. How about cross-marketing them with replicas of some of the most important and famous Lakers? I don't know as much about this topic as liners, so I can't help as much on specific ships.

Famous yachts might be another possibility...maybe an America's Cup collection or something.

Basically, I'm thinking that there are many ways that HL can take this line. I think that, if it were brought beyond the more limited-fanbase vessels they have right now, they can increase their purchasing base several-fold, and yet still make us our lightships and USCG vessels.

What do you guys think?

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24499 01/27/05 05:18 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
There are still plenty of Lightships and USCG vessels that I would like to see made, first..

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24500 01/27/05 06:17 PM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Seagirt
As you know, Anchor Bay in the beginning was making other ships beside the Coast Guard.
Anchor Bay almost went belly up. However, harbour lights learned their lesson and made the corrections. The following are the lessons they learned.

1. Even thought we all love the glass covering, the majority of the collectors do not like to spend over $100 for their collectables. $75 is the preferred.
2. Collectors want specific ships not general types.
3. And now for the main lesson learned: Anchor Bays must be either a lightship or some other coast guard ship if they are going to use the same dealers that they use for Harbour Lights.

I do agree with you that there would be a market for ocean liners but unless it is a famous ocean liner like the Titanic or Queen Mary, I doubt there would be a market with the existing Harbour light dealers. I think the ocean liners would be a big hit with travel agents and tourist traps that are involved with ocean cruises. It would be neat to go on a cruise. Then be able to buy a figurine of the ocean liner you were on.

I will not say there is not a market for your ocean liners but I think you would have to find an other market place than harbour light dealers. Maybe Anchor bay could do mail orders and advertise on the magazines that have cruises available.

DANIEL
Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24501 01/27/05 07:05 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Yeah, the dealer thing is kinda what I didn't figure out yet. From what it sounds like, it would be a good-selling idea, but all the profits made off of it would have to be spent on completely remarketing and creating a new brand image. Probably not worth it.

In another situation, it sounds like it could be a really neat idea. But the logistics are not behind it. Even if they sold them places like aboard the QE2/QM2, a limited edition would sell out too fast, and demand would surpass supply. Yeah, that might sound like a good thing for a regular HL, but in a different marketing situation, no. With a HL LE run, they would just sell out too fast, even if only selling aboard Cunard's two/three in '07 ships. Throw in other lines, and shoreside stores, and autoship, and all that, and you are out of pieces before they hit the stores, and not in a good way.

I think I'll build my own model of the QE2 instead. I've wanted to, anyway.

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24502 01/27/05 10:37 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
What do you guys think?
I say leave well enough alone. Lightships pertain to lighthouses, and that's what the largest percentage of us are interested in. USCG boat releases are usually popular because of their relationship to lighthouses in general. The release of such things like Ocean Liners may turn out like making a replica of the Golden Gate Bridge. Good idea but consumers weren't beating down the door to buy them (not the gold ones).

I'm sure there is some company somewhere that makes models of the liners you speak of. Have you "Googled" it at all to see what has been done already?

cool Bob cool

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24503 01/27/05 11:42 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Alright...so the liner thing is a bad idea...what about the Lakers?

That's something that might tie in better with the whole lighthousey theme. Great Lakes dealers would buy them - thus no need for new dealers? Fobout the liner idea, what do you think about this other one?

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24504 01/28/05 09:05 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Alright...so the liner thing is a bad idea...what about the Lakers?
You might as well root for the Lakers because the Boston Celtics aren't that exciting.....only kidding.

The Liners are not a bad idea. I'm sure there are people like yourself who would have an interest in such a thing. The question is how many?

When HL introduced the Golden Gate Bridge, I didn't buy it. I had and still have no interest in such a thing. Maybe the people who visit the Bay area might jump on it but not me.

A lot of people cruise on Ocean Liners and if a nice replica was available in their gift shops, I'm sure it would be a good seller. I just can't see gift shops/HL dealers trying to move Liner replicas when they can't move enough HL lighthouses.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24505 01/28/05 12:41 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
How about replicas of famous Anchors?

USS Arizona Anchor in Phoenix AZ

Short History of Anchors

[TIC]

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24506 02/06/05 02:59 AM
RRohweder Offline
I seldom post anymore, but this is an intriguing subject to me. I have always campaigned for three ships. The Coast Guard Cutter EAGLE has become reality (despite it's erroneous listing as a motor lifeboat), and I own one (currently on display at College of the Redwoods along with 80 of my lighthouses). I would also buy the Cutter MACKINAW or a replica of the EDMUND FITZGERALD.

Each ocean liner would require some thought on my part. I never got into all of the variety of boats that AB/HL put out with respects to all of Bill's daughters. Just the way it is with me, and I live on the coast (left coast that is) although I'm originally from Michigan and Ohio.

I'd be interested in knowing what other specific vessels folks would consider buying.

Rich

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24507 02/06/05 08:48 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
The Cutter Mackinaw would be a nice addition and probably a good seller. It already might be in the works and we just haven't confirmed it yet.

smile Bob smile

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24508 02/07/05 12:33 PM
Brent Offline
I agree, the Mackinaw and "Fitz" would be a nice addition, but, overall, I believe that AB should stick to Lightships. I can even think of a few lost lightships could be included in the line.
Heck, they might even want to consider introducing a large scale lightship beacon or two! Some of them were quite attractive. smile

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24509 02/07/05 01:49 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Quote:
Heck, they might even want to consider introducing a large scale lightship beacon or two! Some of them were quite attractive.
Great news! Harbour Lights has done this! smile I think it is due out in March.
Yorktown Lightship Lens

I also feel the HL should stick to lightships in the AB line, and would love to see some that are no longer around. I would nominate Diamond Shoal Lightship that was stationed off the coast of Cape Hatteras, and sunk by a German submarine on Aug. 6, 1918. All the crew excaped without injury, and the wireless message sent out before the ship sank probably saved at least 25 ships from the submarine's attack.

Judy

Judy
Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24510 02/08/05 12:21 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I like lightships the best, then USCG boats other than the "rubber boat". They are welcome additions to my collection. As far as the "Fitz" goes, well lets say I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy that one. I know the memory lives on with the folks from the Great Lakes area, but not enough with me here in New England. It would be like HL making a replica of the "Andrea Doria" that sunk after a collision with the "Stockholm" back in the late 50's. Many of the Great Lake people would probably not be interested in purchasing that one.

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24511 02/08/05 05:56 PM
seagirt Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
It would be like HL making a replica of the "Andrea Doria" that sunk after a collision with the "Stockholm" back in the late 50's.
Well, I would. But yes, not many other non-New Englanders.

A collection of regionally-famous lights could be a very interesting idea. It would offer us to learn about the maritime history of other regions. I know a lot about the Doria only because I am an ocean liner fan. But many other people have maybe only heard of it, not knowing the details. Same with the Fitzgerald, though that is, I think, a bit more famous. And I'm sure there are many famous ships from the Southeast and West.

However, once again...it probably wouldn't sell outside of the core group of locals. Too bad, it could be a neat idea.

Re: Diversifying AB...Ideas. #24512 02/13/05 02:30 PM
Brent Offline
Thanks Judy! Somehow I missed the intoduction on that lens. 'Looks like a "keeper" to me! Beautiful!

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,451 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users