Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24483 02/11/03 09:45 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
We have Brant Point! We have Sankaty Head! Now we need Great Point!

If you ever visited Great Point Light you would have to agree it's a definite must for a Harbour Lights collection. It's not that the light is ornate or anything but it's the picturesque location.

You've often heard me clamor about North Light at Block Island and how I would like to see Harbour Lights incorporate a sand dune into a sculpture. Well Great Point, like North Light, would be a spectacular piece with a dune next to it. It would be a first for Harbour Lights!

This is a digital picture of a photo I took at Great Point a few of years ago. I didn't have a digital camera back then:

Let's hear it for Great Point!

smile Bob smile

Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24484 02/13/03 10:51 AM
Roxie Offline
Yes! I agree. Cheers! laugh

Marblehead, Mass. Lighthouse, you will always have a very special place in our hearts. ....We've made the journey as far south as New Jersey, as far north as Canada. Over 100 lighthouses visited.... and so many more to go.
Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24485 02/13/03 11:07 AM
P
plebetkin Offline
P
sand dunes sound great. Anything in the surrounding environment that shows how a lighthouse is special should be included

good friends mean good times
Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24486 02/13/03 03:06 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Not being prejudiced mind you, but any New England Light would be welcomed in my collection.

Bert laugh

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24487 02/13/03 03:21 PM
P
plebetkin Offline
P
hopefully Harry Hines of Harbour Lights knows what he was talking about at the last chat. He suggested strongly that a Connecticut light was due this year. It would be long overdue.

good friends mean good times
Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24488 02/13/03 06:48 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I think it is fair to say that Harry knows what he is talking about. If it is a HL, Harry designed or had a hand in designing it.

Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24489 03/07/03 08:59 AM
Len Ariagno Offline
I would also second the nomination for both Great Point on Nantucket and North Light on Block Island, but offer another suggestion, this being the Plymouth, MA Gurnet Light. While there are always deserving lights for HL to sculpt, Gurnet is a different type (primarily wood), is nearby a major tourist mecca in Plymouth, has been moved, has an active preservation group of volunteers, and is steeped in Revolutionary War fame (the British shot a cannonball through the structure). Gurnet Light would surely be a deserving addition to the HL Limited Edition series!
Len Ariagno

Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24490 03/07/03 02:30 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Now that one of California's most requested lights has been announced we Northeasterners can get back to requesting some more from our neck of the woods.

The current lighthouse at Great Point is, in fact, a replica of the 1818 tower. An HL of this light with the inclusion of the former keepers and associated outbuildings would complete the Nantucket Series.

Nearby Martha's Vineyard still has three lights not yet produced. Cape Pogue is another remote sentinel at the end of a long journey over sand.
East and West Chop, two tradional New England style lighthouses - can you picture East Chop in it's former coat of chocolate brown paint sitting in your curio?

MA has many unique lighthouses it's hard to pick just one. The Gurnet would be a good choice. Naturally we'd want both towers, keepers, FSB, etc.! How about a set of the Newburyport Range Lights - they're certainly different? Can you say Graves? Can't beat Thachers for historical importance let alone the height of the towers.

As for Connecticut the concensus seems to be for the New London Harbor light. I'd be surprised if this one wasn't on the near horizon.

While New York has certainly received it's fair share of attention from HL there is one area that so far has been ignored - Lake Champlain. Lots of history associated with this area. While two of the lake's recently re-lit VT lights have been requested elsewhere, the majority of the Lake's lighthouses are in NY. A replica of the Valcour Island lighthouse near Plattsburg would be a good choice, imo as it's also sceduled for re-lighthing. How about the beautiful stone lighthouse on Cumberland Head, also near Plattsburg, which is featured on the cover of "Women Who Kept the Lights".

Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24491 03/07/03 04:02 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
"The current lighthouse at Great Point is, in fact, a replica of the 1818 tower. An HL of this light with the inclusion of the former keepers and associated outbuildings would complete the Nantucket Series."

Sorry, I lied. Just found two more Nantucket Lights.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=631

Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24492 03/30/03 03:57 PM
W
Weezie Offline
W
Great Point on Nantucket would be a wonderful addition to the Harbour Lights Nantucket Collection. I was up in the light last October and it is a spectacular lighthouse....and we're heading back in 4 weeks for a week on Nantucket and are planning visits to all three lighthouses again...(by the way we're down the road from Brant Point).

Weezie
Re: Great Point, Nantucket Island, Massachusetts #24493 04/01/03 11:48 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I haven't been out to Great Point in a couple of years. It sure looked good the last time I was there. This would be another sculpture where Harbour Lights could introduce a sand dune.

Will it ever happen? Time will tell.

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,317 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users