Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24405 09/01/99 12:00 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I was just reading through the "Wish List" threads when I came up with a thought for a new series by HL, "Lighthouses of the Past...gone but not forgotten".

There are so many unique and very attractive LHs that have been destroyed by storms and replaced with modern navigational aids by the USCG. A special series would draw attention to the importance of preserving those lights that still exist but could easily fall to the same fate as the ones we lost.

The question is would collectors buy replicas of lights that no longer exist? What do you think about that?

Bob

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24406 09/01/99 12:20 AM
K
Kevin Offline
K
My thinking is that Harbour Lights would have to be VERY selective on this type of series. Pharos could be one. The catch is, I imagine the ones that sell best and are dearest to our hearts are those that we may visit or have already seen. The ones that have the most demand (e.g., Portland Head, Hatteras, Southern Belles) are those in prime tourist areas. It's like doing a series of ships that have sunk -- only a few could be successful in the marketplace, such as Edmund or Titanic. The "gone but not forgotten" series would have to choose lighthouses that were either incredibly dramatic (and that could be converted to a great sculpture) or that were world famous (I can't think of too many world famous lighthouses that no longer are standing). So, the bottom line for me is maybe just a few of these.

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24407 09/01/99 09:39 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Shinnecock Light which was similar to Fire Island would make a good choice. It was 160 feet high, made of red brick, and demolished in 1948.
You can view more info and a picture of the lighthouse at Bob Muller's Long Island Lighthouse website.
http://www.longislandlighthouses.com/shinnecock.htm

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24408 09/01/99 10:12 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Saint John put forth this thought on the subject of lighthouses no longer standing on 10/19/98

http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum4/HTML/000040.html

I thought everybody might enjoy people's thoughts on the subject way back then (almost a year).

SaintWackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24409 09/01/99 11:51 AM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
HL did just that with Gay Head by including the keeper's cottage to great effect (earning it rare "Wow™" status). I wouldn't mind seeing them do more pieces like this.

The only problem with sculpting lighthouses that no longer exist is that no one can visit them. In other words, there can be no physical relationship between the piece and the real light. That may hurt sales.

The thing that got me into HL in the first place was seeing Pemaquid and saying, "Wow, I've been there and that's EXACTLY the way it looks, right down to the brick."

HL would have to choose wisely.

[This message has been edited by Bill Harnsberger (edited 09-01-99).]

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24410 09/02/99 12:16 AM
Wildbird99 Offline
I like the idea. There are a few I'd like to see. Sure, I might be one of only a few that might buy them, but it'd be cool.

One thing to consider is that there aren't too many lights, relatively speaking, which were built between 1820 and 1852 which are still standing. Many, perhaps most, of those Pleasanton-era lights were poorly built or built in bad spots and had to be rebuilt later in the 19th century. The original Ponce Inlet light, as well as several LI lights (Plum Island, Old Field Point, Execution Rock, Little Gull Island and Fire Island immediately come to mind, but there are more) fall (pardon the pun) under this heading. This leaves a blank spot in American lighthouse history as far as collectibles go.

Former LI lights I'd like to see: Gardiner's Island, Shinnecock, Cold Spring Harbor, and the original lights at Long Beach Bar (screw pile!), Execution Rock and Fire Island.

Bob Muller
Stony Brook, NY
wildbird99@aol.com
www.longislandlighthouses.com

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24411 09/02/99 12:35 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
My first contact with Harbour Lights on this subject was way back in the pre-AOL Bulletin Board days. I thought then, and I think now, that it would be a great line for HL to do. I called it "Extinguished Lights" and suggested Cape Henlopen, DE and Cleveland Harbor as starters.

Another suggestion was to do these as the 'event' pieces. Either signing events, Reunion pieces or Society pieces. That does two things. It keeps existing lights in the inventory for regular release, extending the life of the line and it limits what may be a not so popular light (see the other comments in this thread) to the real 'wackos' of the collector population.

Rick

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24412 09/02/99 11:34 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
I have also wondered if HL had considered doing any GLOP's. If sales were a consideration they could do one as a Society Gift to see what the reaction would be. Of course Cockspur sort of turned into a GLOP!

MOMBO

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24413 09/03/99 03:37 PM
LamarB Offline
Quote:
Of course Cockspur sort of turned into a GLOP!

Mombo, would you please explain what you mean? Thanks.

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24414 09/03/99 08:34 PM
A
AlanBeckman Offline
A
HL could issue lighthouse that preceeded some that they have already issued. For instance, there is a foundation of a previous lighthouse at Sapelo Island. Other threads have commented that we learn a lot of geograpy with this hobby. This would also teach some history. It would also show how the art of building and maintaining lighthouses and other aids to navigation has progressed. I think that any piece issued shoud be to the same scale as the piece for the currently standing lighthouse.

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24415 09/03/99 11:40 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Lamar, I understood that Cockspur was damaged during a hurricane, can't remember which one, Earl? Have been searching for some info, maybe was mentioned on a chat. If you check this link (scroll down to a post by Lisa H), there's a mention of it.

http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum26/HTML/000007.html

MOMBO

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24416 09/04/99 08:27 PM
LamarB Offline
Thanks Mombo. I thought something bad had happened to it recently.

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24417 09/05/99 12:02 AM
Gary Toth Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Just a thought, but what if the series was issued in picture form, say note card size or in a form similar to the prior Mark Sherman prints. The nostalgia and history could be captured and passed on while minimizing the need to have the particular lighthouse tied to a past or future visit to the actual site (although that option would still exist). I have for a couple of years been looking for a publication that focused on lighthouses lost to the weather, the wrecking ball, privatization, or the general apathy of those in the resident communities as well as a publication that would capture the changes that have occurred to structures that are still standing (sort of a visual time-line). The same Certificate history found enclosed with the current sculptures could be included as well. Granted, pictures are not sculptures, but I find lighthouse history in any form interesting. A secondary benefit is that the series wouldn't require yet another curio cabinet.

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24418 09/05/99 01:58 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course Cockspur sort of turned into a GLOP!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mombo, would you please explain what you mean? Thanks

Great Lighthouse(s) Of the Past

Guess I have too many years reading Navy acronyms. I figured out what Mombo meant! (or, maybe I'm just too far over the edge)

Dave

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24419 09/11/99 05:48 AM
chris g Offline
Wacko
Wacko
mombo- yes, Cockspur was damaged in Hurricane Earl. Some of the upper railing and wall was damaged.

Chris G
Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24420 09/13/99 04:37 PM
LamarB Offline
The one I'd like most to see Harbour Lights do is Ship Island, MS with the keepers dwelling.

My second favorite would be Braddock Point, NY with it's original, grand, majestic tower.

While Braddock Point isn't gone, it's original tower is. Neither are forgotten, by me.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 09-13-99).]

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24421 09/13/99 08:41 PM
JeffB Offline
I really like this idea. My favorite part of lighthouses is learning the history of them. This goes for both those standing and those long gone. I love both the way Gay Head has been depicted, and the "Then" depiction of Morris Island. Let's honor the lighthouses that originally lit the path home, and save some of our history.

Jeff
Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24422 09/16/99 02:21 AM
RezmanDale Offline
I think this is a great idea. Maybe one from each reagion as a series.
Santa Barbara for west coast Destroyed in an earthquake
Round Island Mississippi destroyed in a huricane for Golf Coast.
Others mentioned for Northeast and Southeast.
Have a contest for each region and have each the winner recieve the set. Have a drawing if duplicates are entered.
Limit them to 4,000 or 5,000. They would sure move with that small a number.
Dale

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24423 12/31/99 02:20 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
My first contact with Harbour Lights on this subject was way back in the pre-AOL Bulletin Board days. I thought then, and I think now, that it would be a great line for HL to do. I called it "Extinguished Lights" and suggested Cape Henlopen, DE and Cleveland Harbor as starters.

Rick Mau

Way to go Rick -

www.harbourlights.com/catalog/2000/hl_cape_henlopen.htm

And Bob Hit the name right on the head - "Gone But Not Forgotten"

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24424 01/04/00 09:48 PM
E
easy Offline
E
I wish that I had the computer skills and equipment that some of you do so that I could post a pic of old Cleveland Light. I have no connection to this piece except that in thumbing through a beacons book I saw a picture of it. Cleveland light was a huge, gothic, overdone, magnificent structure. I am not even sure that HL could capture it.
I agree that "past"lighthouses would have to be done in a VERY limited number; but I would love to see Cleveland Lighthouse resurrected.

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24425 01/05/00 11:35 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Easy: Braddock Point Light near Rochester, New York was (in it's heyday) very similar to Cleveland Light from what I hear tell.

http://us-lighthouses.org/braddock.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~timcapone/braddock.htm

As far as how many Gone But Not Forgotten lights will sell, time will tell. I, for one, could become quite smitten by them!

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24426 01/05/00 11:56 PM
E
easy Offline
E
Man, you folks are amazin' - Thanks Mombo - See YA! Easy

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24427 01/06/00 12:28 AM
T
TURBO271 Offline
T
Got a book for Xmas entitled Lost Lighthouses written by Tim Harrison and Ray Jones. This book covers stories and images of America's vanishing lighthouses.I'm sure forum readers and HL could use this reference source for more ideas of lighthouses of from the past.

Turbo

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24428 01/06/00 01:48 AM
M
Mike Thompson Offline
M
I bought a book a couple years ago titled "Forgotten Beacons, The Lost Lighthouses of the Chesapeake Bay". This book is a wealth of information on old lights. There have been more than 50 lighthouses on the Chesapeake and her tributaries. Alot of these were screwpiles and caisson lights. With these and other "Lights of the Past", HL has plenty of choices to last more than a few years if they decide to, but as Bill Harnsberger said, "HL would have to choose wisely."

Mike

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24429 01/06/00 02:40 AM
Art Offline
Mombo,

Thanks for the links. I've seen old photos of both Braddock and Cleveland. The towers were nearly identical, but the keepers house at Cleveland was architecturally superior, imo, to the one at Braddock. Both lights would make great HLs, though.

The photos in your links are of Braddock Point today. The tower has been substantially reduced in height and the lantern doesn't even suggest the glory of the original. The old postcard at the bottom of the second linked page hints at it.

If anyone wants to see Cleveland Lightstation in it's glory years, pick up a copy of America's Lighthouses -- An Illustrated History by Francis Ross Holland, Jr. There's a photo on p.180. Another (same photo) appears on p. 141 of the new book, Lost Lighthouses -- Stories and Images of America's Vanished Lighthouses by Tim Harrison and Ray Jones. Photos of Braddock Point (then and now) appears on p. 138 of the same book.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24430 01/06/00 11:55 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Turbo:

"Lost Lighthouses" is the book I requested from my son-in-law for Christmas which he did not get me.

He did however get me some others.

Art: If you scroll down Tim Capone's site there's an old postcard of Braddocks showing the original tower.

Note how there's lots of space in front of the light. Now the water comes up pretty close. Maybe the tide on the lake was high the day I visited???

If HL were to make either one of these they probably would be too tall for our curios!

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 01-06-2000).]

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24431 01/07/00 02:16 AM
Art Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by mombo:
Art: If you scroll down Tim Capone's site there's an old postcard of Braddocks showing the original tower.

I noted that in the above posting, mombo. My point there was that although the original tower is shown, the old postcard scan really doesn't show the details very well compared to the photos in the books. Check 'em out! The former book should be in many libraries. Even my tiny, outdated library here in mid-continent has a copy of that one!

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24432 01/07/00 05:42 PM
Marzipan Offline
The amount of knowledge you people possess is amazing. Maybe we couldn't visit these extinct lighthouses, but it sure would be a wonderful way to keep their memories alive. Many people, myself included, have no idea just how many beautiful towers are now gone forever. It would also be the only way to get a three-dimensional perspective on these old lights.

~Dale

~Dale Anne
Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24433 01/07/00 10:18 PM
RezmanDale Offline
It was great to hear that HL is doing Round Island Mississippi. The best part is knowing it will be rebuilt. HL is doing it as a then and now showing the destroyed light as the now. I wonder if they will do a restoration series piece when it is repaired?

Ballast Point California is a Point Fermin type structure that would make a great gone but not forgotten pieces to. As would the origional Alcatraz lighthouse that was torn down when the cell block was built.

Other excelent examples of great architecture that would make GBNF pieces

Mare Island California
Okland Harbour
Ano Nuevo Island California
Santa Barbara California
Point Knox Angel Island California
Southampthon Shoal California
Roe Island California

[This message has been edited by DALE LAWRENCE (edited 01-08-2000).]

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24434 01/08/00 12:49 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24435 01/08/00 11:26 AM
L
Lighthouse Ghost Offline
L
Dale, Mo said that they would not do a restored Round Island piece but would contribute to its restoration.

Lighthouse Ghost

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24436 01/08/00 03:18 PM
Art Offline
THAT'S IT MOMBO!!!

Sorry for shouting. Good sleuth work. Thanks for the link. Now, imagine that tower with the SE Block Island keepers' quarters, and you are approaching what Cleveland looked like.

------------------
-Art

-Art
Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24437 01/08/00 04:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think there is a photo of Cleveland in the Lost Lighthouse's book. It's awesome. Looks like a mansion with a large dark lighthouse tower. It's magnificent!

------------------
JB

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24438 01/08/00 11:49 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Don't rub it in Jul! I really wanted that book and couldn't understand why my son-in-law didn't get it for me. I will certainly get it soon!

That Coast Guard site has lots of pictures of GLOPs!

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24439 01/10/00 08:31 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
Maybe Price's Creek,NC will be made now. Only a shell remains.
Derith

Re: Gone but not forgotten..Lights of the Past #24440 01/10/00 10:30 PM
Art Offline
Price's Creek, "Now" (all 16 feet of it):
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=42289&a=282962&p=10899977&Sequence=1[/img]

Not much to this one, even in it's heyday. I don't think I'd say "no" to any light, but I sure hope they'd do a Cleveland Lightstation first!

http://ils.unc.edu/nc/pricescreek.html

http://www.lhdigest.com/archives/1996/june96/prices.html

------------------
-Art

-Art

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,025 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users