cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23973 02/14/99 03:27 AM
Jake Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all. This was mentioned once before on one of the chats not so long ago. Even though it no longer stands, why doesn't Harbour Lights make a replica of the old Cleveland Light Station? It is a beautiful light. For those of you who have the book "America's Lighhouses, An Illustrated History" by Francis Ross Holland, Jr., It is pictured with its history on page 180. It is a very beautiful light, and I think that those of you who saw what it looked like, would agree too.

Jake (Stephen)

Jakers
Re: Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23974 02/14/99 11:28 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Very nice choice Jake!. There is another existing light that is almost a "sister" to the old victorian Cleveland Light, even though it was built quite a few years later in the 1890's; Braddock Point Lighthouse in Hilton, New York on Lake Ontario.

Braddock Point is a slightly smaller version of the old Cleveland Light (and not quite as ornate), but is still in existance. It is a private residence in excellent shape except for one important detail. The main tower was in very bad structural shape in the 1950's, so the Coast Guard had to extinguish the light and tear down the top 2/3 of the tower. The tower now is much more shorter of course, with a shingled "cap" on top instead of the original ornate lantern room. It is private property and a little hard to get to, but well worth the visit and photos for those in the Rochester area. It is a shame that neither of the lights have survived the years. The victorian details of both were even nicer than South East Block Island Light (IMHO).

Not the best viewpoint of the light, but:

Braddock Point Lighthouse:
http://www.ipl.org/exhibit/light/GL/BraddockPt.html

Keep in mind the tower was roughly 2 1/2 times taller with a *VERY* ornate lantern room, and the lake side is the more interesting side of the building. Bruce Roberts & Ray Jones' book "Eastern Great Lakes Lighthouses" has a nice black and white shot of what it looked like in it's prime.

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 02-14-99).]

Re: Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23975 02/14/99 12:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another good link to Braddock Point which has some photos as well as a bit of its history and also has photos of all the Seaway Trail lighthouses is Tim Capone's "Lighthouses of the New York State Seaway Trail"
http://home.earthlink.net/~timcapone/braddock.htm

Re: Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23976 02/15/99 01:13 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
...poor depth of field, but Braddock Point from outside the No Fly Zone.

Braddock Point

__
/im

Re: Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23977 02/15/99 01:29 AM
Art Offline
I like the way you think, Jakers. I suggested this same light to Y&A some months ago after I first saw the photo in the book you refer to. Kim seemed at least mildly intrigued at the time. It might be hard to construct a model based on this one photo, though, so if anyone knows of any links that might show other views, please post them here. (I had a hard time finding anything on the web about this one.) Probably a search of the USCG archives would be required. Anyone out there up to the task? This is one light that would be worth the research effort, imo.

If you haven't seen this one, check out the book that Jake refers to above. It's a good one. (And if I can find it on a store shelf here in Jackson, TN, I know that your local bookseller must carry it too!)

-Art
Re: Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23978 02/15/99 01:52 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Another place to try would be the Inland Seas Maritime Museum in Vermillion, OH. We visited there last Easter on a lighthouse viewing road trip, and it had quite a bit of historical info on the area. Lots of old pics, and I think also some research material available

Dave

Re: Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23979 02/15/99 02:20 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Correct Dave,
I believe last time we were at the museum they had some old black and whites of Cleveland Harbor and the light. They also have one of the largest Maritime related libraries in the Great Lakes region. Old Fairport Main Light & Maritime Museum may have had some info on it also, but I can't recall.

Inland Seas Maritime Museum Homepage:
http://www.inlandseas.org/

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 02-14-99).]

Re: Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23980 02/16/99 12:01 AM
R
RMau Offline
Wacko
Wacko
R
I wrote HL a couple of years ago suggesting Cleveland Harbor be done, along with Cape Henlopen, Delaware, as part of a series of Extinguished Lights. I thought at the time ,and still do, that these lights and others like them (Round Island, MS or Harker's Island, NJ) would make good Society pieces. At the time there hadn't been a Reunion, but they'd make great pieces for them as well.

Never got a reaction from HL, just a nice thank you for the letter.

Re: Cleveland Light Station, Ohio #23981 02/16/99 02:51 AM
Art Offline
OK Kim!

A couple of ideas for research here. Got your ticket?

-Art

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,642
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,807 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users