Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23374 06/10/04 08:26 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Do any of you remember the offshore structures that replaced many a Lightship form the past that were referred to as "Texas Towers"?

The two I remember the best were the Buzzard's Bay Entrance Tower that marked the main channel into the Cape Cod Canal, and the Brenton Reef Tower that marked the East Passage entrance to Narragansett Bay and warned mariners of the treacherous Brenton Reef that lay under the surface of the water just before Castle Hill Light.

Both these structures have been removed now, but I still have there original locations marked in my LORAN. They often were a welcome site (location) in my sight (vision) as I worked my way through the fog in those areas. Many mariners, like myself, were sad to see them go.

I'm happy to say they did replace the Buzzard's Tower with a smaller structure but not as pleasing to the eye as the old one. Bell and light buoys replaced the Brenton Tower and those can be a little harder to see in dense fog.

Do you remember these types of structures off the coast of wherever you grew up or boated in years past? Do any of these structures still exist today? Has any company ever made a replica of these that you know about? Would you like to see Harbour Lights do such a piece in the future?

confused Bob confused

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23375 06/10/04 11:28 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
The Chesapeake Tower still stands at the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay. On June 27th the Chesapeake Chapter of the USLHS will be taking a boat trip to view the tower. From what I recall reading, it is not in the best condition.

The Diamond Shoal tower stood off Hatteras. Weren't they to tear this one down last year?

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23376 06/10/04 12:59 PM
Chesapeake Bryan Offline
The Diamond Shoals Tower off Cape Hatteras is scheduled for demolition sometime this year.

There also is the Frying Pan Shoals Tower which is off of Cape Lookout. It is also scheduled for demolition sometime this year. I beleive there is a group running a tour from Carolina Beach out to the tower before it is demolished.

The Chesapeake tower is supposed to be decomissioned in 2004 sometime.

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23377 06/10/04 02:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It would be quite an interesting piece.

Maybe with a Coast Guard helicopter sitting on the top of it.

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23378 06/14/04 10:57 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Apparently, not too many folks remember the Texas Towers. I wonder how many of these unique structures were erected during the time frame of them being an extremely reliable aid to navigation? Both towers that once existed in my area (Buzzard's and Brenton) were red with white lettering. Were all the towers like that?

confused Bob confused

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23379 06/28/04 06:41 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Hi,
I did a little research earlier on the Texas Towers earlier this year. There were 6 Towers built:

Ambrose Light: This station has already been destroyed. frown
Savannah Light: This station has already been destroyed. frown

Chesapeake Light: There are no current plans to demolish. smile
Buzzards Bay Entrance Light: No plans to demolish. smile

Frying Pan Shoal: Was to be demolish, spring/summer 2004, however, the government does not currently have funds. cool
Diamond Shoal: Same as Frying Pan. cool

This information was provided by LTjg Neil Orlich,CG Liaison Officer, National Data Buoy Center.

Carolina Ocean Studies is doing 2 tours to this lighthouse, July 25th and August 29th, both are Sundays. Costs is 80.00 per person. They leave from Carolina Beach Marina which is 15 miles south of Wilmington, NC. This is a all day trip.
If you call 910-458-7302, they will send you a full packet of information. They did this trip last November and all went well (if I had known I would have been on that one, I plan to go to the August trip).

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23380 06/30/04 07:52 AM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
By the way, I would like to see Harbor Lights make a Texas Tower Lighthouse.

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el
Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23381 07/06/04 10:58 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
Buzzards Bay Entrance Light: No plans to demolish.
They better not demolish it, it's practically brand new. The current Buzzards Bay Entrance Light is the replacement for the old Texas Tower that was torn down many years ago. It's a major marker leading into Buzzards Bay then on to the Cape Cod Canal. There have been many ship wrecks in this area throughout the years.

The new tower is smaller and different from the original tower but its presence is a must to guide ships away from the treacherous Sow & Pigs Reef off Cuttyhunk Island, and the Hens & Chickens Reef off Gooseberry Island in Westport Massachusetts.

Even with the new tower and all the other navigational aids leading to the Cape Cod Canal, there seems to be a major commercial shipping wreck every few years. That doesn't count the private crafts transitting the area. I was at Cuttyhunk Island one weekend when there were two large pleasure boats up on the rocks withing two days. One was a 55' Ocean Yacht and the other a 50' Sloop. I thought the new navigation equipment of today took the guess work out. I guess not.

smile Bob smile

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23382 07/08/04 02:28 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I searched through some old pictures and finally found one of the old Buzzards Bay Tower. It's not the greatest quality because it was taken with a pocket camera in the early 80's, but it is a picture of it!

smile Bob smile

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23383 07/08/04 03:31 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I sincerely hope that the old Buzzards Bay Tower is NOT a candidate for a future Harbour Lights piece.

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23384 07/08/04 04:05 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
That's my favorite of the Texas Towers. If I remember, it was the first one. That would be why it looks different--like a prototype.

Also...Ambrose had an interesting destruction. It got hit by a ship. It was enough to warrant replacement of the tower. The ship was in pretty bad shape, too. A former teacher of mine, who also does inspecions for ships, showed me the photos a while ago of the ship. Quite a bit of damage! eek

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23385 07/09/04 09:07 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Quote:
I sincerely hope that the old Buzzards Bay Tower is NOT a candidate for a future Harbour Lights piece.
Well, Bob, you have to stay open-minded on this. These type of structures are definitely a part of maritime history. I don't claim to know everything about them, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of them may have replaced a Lightship on station. Therefore, they are a light station and could be considerd somewhat of a "lighthouse".

Many times as I was traversing Buzzards Bay in the fog, the Buzzards Bay Entrance Light Tower was an extremely welcome site. Back then, most boats were only operating with a compass and didn't have the sophisticated electronics of today.

I would like to see Harbour Lights replicate "a" Texas Tower structure someday. The reason for the "a" is it doesn't have to be the Buzzards Tower. I would like to see them remembered for what they were before they are all gone. Many a Coastie manned and serviced these towers. These towers are a definite part of USCG History.

Luckily HL doesn't have required buying and many people only buy what they like. I do buy them all even though a few "dogs" have been thrown into the mix.

All I can tell you, Bob, is "Buy what you like, and like what you buy!" America is a great country!

smile Bob smile

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23386 07/09/04 12:34 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

I agree with everything you say. I lived in Texas for a long time, but never paid any attention to the structures. Maybe something could be done with one of them. And, of course, I would buy whatever Harbour Lights decides to make. I always do. But you've got to admit that this is not the most inspiring light that was ever put into service.

Bob

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23387 07/09/04 12:57 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess if Harbour Lights ever did decided to reproduce a Texas Tower, it should be a little more elaborate than the one in my picture.

First they should pick the most distinctive tower ever made. Second, maybe they could add a USCG Helo on the platform. Third, perhaps the retired Lightship pulling away after finishing its last assignment.

I would gladly welcome such a piece into my collection. It certainly would be a better choice for a reflection on maritime history than the Colossus of Rhodes, in my opinion.

Does anyone have any pictures of existing or former Texas Towers from their area? If you do, how about posting them here.

smile Bob smile

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23388 07/09/04 01:15 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
That would be an interesting piece, Bob. Kinda like White Shoals with the tender arriving.

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23389 08/13/04 08:15 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I happen to be passing by the "new" Buzzard's Bay Entrance Tower while on vacation last week. Here's a quick pic of what it looks like:

This structure is smaller than the one it replaced but still stands out on the horizon from many miles away because of its height.

smile Bob smile

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23390 08/13/04 11:23 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Interesting, Bob. Is that Cleveland Ledge in the distance?

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23391 08/13/04 02:00 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Greg, ...That is not Cleveland Ledge Light. That is a sailboat in the distance.

I took this photo basically facing north. The land you see in the background is actually Westport MA to the right, and Little Compton RI to the left. Sakonnet Light would be just off the left edge of the picture and too far away to identify even if it was in the pic.

Funny you should mention Cleveland Ledge Light. That is the next photo I'm going to post. I was traveling by it on a cloudy day a few weeks back and took a few pictures of it. Cleveland Light is about 20 or so miles from the location of this photo and would be in an eastery direction from the Buzzards Tower.

smile Bob smile

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23392 08/13/04 02:30 PM
R
rgurskey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
R
The replacement for the Ambrose Lighttower looks something like your photograph.

On the CC-USLHS trip to the Chesapeake Light Tower, we were told the the tower is still structural sound, and will remain in place for another five years. Unfortunately by photos are not digital and I have no scanner. Maybe Chesapeake Bryan can post some.

I believe the Savannagh light tower was also struck by a ship several years ago, and the captain didn't even report the accident to the USCG.

Robert

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23393 08/15/04 04:55 PM
bonnebert Offline
Robert, Bryan did post a photo of the Chesapeake Tower right after our trip. But, I can't find it now. Maybe he will do another one.

Joyce

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23394 08/16/04 03:39 PM
Too Many Stairs Offline
Wasn't there talk of demolishing the Chesapeake Tower? Personally I think they look more like an off shore oil drilling refinery than a lighthouse, but I guess USCG didn't design them with aesthetics in mind.

Chesapeake Bay Lighthouse Photographer
Save The Bay
-Aaron
Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23395 08/17/04 06:11 PM
bonnebert Offline
On the CCUSLHS cruise out to the tower, a trip which I coordinated, I got information from RADM Sally Brice-O'Hara, that a recent survery deemed the tower necessary for navigation into and out of the Chesapeake Bay. A survey was conducted, and it was deemed structually sound for another five years. If you are a member of the CCUSLHS, you will read about it in the Chapter Trips section, and it was also mentioned in the 40+3 article.

So, it will be around for at least another five years.

Joyce

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23396 08/22/04 01:46 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Any body on the forum going to the Frying Pan Shoals Lighthouse trip Sunday August 29th?
It would be nice to meet some other WACKO's.

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23397 08/22/04 05:08 PM
bonnebert Offline
Eric, Robert and I are going on that trip. Also, John Starling and his wife Magrit from Old Cape Henry, and Glen Swigart from Florida is going. I know they are all not Forum members, but Robert and I and the three of them are very nice lighthouse "nuts. So, we shall see you then. Hope we have good weather.

Joyce

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23398 08/24/04 07:51 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Ditto on the weather, we've had enough bad weather here in Orlando to last awhile.

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23399 08/30/04 11:44 AM
bonnebert Offline
Well Eric, were you in the area for the cruise? We had a feeling when we left Chesapeake that it was going to get cancelled, but since we planned to visit Cape Lookout we took off on the trip. We did see Price's Creek via the ferry from Southport to Ft. Fisher. Plus, we revisited Oak Island and Bald Head. Since the Coast Guard does not have enough funds to take Frying Pan down at this time, there will probably be trips next year.

Joyce

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23400 08/30/04 12:49 PM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Photos, Joyce?

Did you get to meet the owners of the restored Coast Guard Station across from the Oak Island Lighthouse?

Can't wait to hear about the whole trip!

Judy smile

Judy
Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23401 08/30/04 08:07 PM
bonnebert Offline
Yes, Judy, we got to meet Judy and Gary Studer in their Coast Guard Station/house. Thanks so much for giving us their information. What wonderful people they are, and we got a personal tour all the way up to the watch tower.

I'll post some photos as soon as I get them back. I don't have a digital camera yet, been thinking about one, but don't know what kind/manufacturer, etc. to choose.

Joyce

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23402 09/08/04 10:44 PM
ericlighthouse Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yes I was in the area. I fly up since no one I knew wanted to go. I re-visited Price's Creek, Oak Island and Bald Head. Talk to Larry at Bald Head, he is a paid employee. We had a nice discussion. smile I was very disappointed the trip was cancelled and still find it hard to believe that the tropical storm could come up so quickly. frown I phoned a few days later, they are trying to reschedule in late fall.

Re: Do you remember "Texas Towers"? #23403 09/10/04 03:26 PM
bonnebert Offline
In speaking with them today, they are trying to reschedule in October. That's a full month for us, so we will have to pass this time. If it doesn't come down in early 2005, they will do it again next year. We will keep an eye/ear open for the trip if it happens in 2005.

Yes, we were disappointed, but felt better safe than sorry, or stranded out at sea.

Joyce

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 864 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users