Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Collectors Preferences II #23004 10/20/99 10:49 AM
WackoPaul Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This is a continuation of Bob's (rscroope) early thread. I have started it with Bob's original question.

For those who wondered why we close a thread and add a second one, it is a matter of size not subject. We have found that they take a long time to load after about 50 or so resposes. By providing a link to the earlier responses, a person can go back and read the earlier responses or just respond to the question with out having to wait for a long upload of the thread.

Quote:
As a new collector I'm interested in what all you hardcore, long or short time collectors are interested in? Do you collect your region? Ones you've visited? Want to visit? Cool ones? Originals? Low numbers? For fun? To make money? It would also be interesting to know how many and why you collect?

Collectors Preferences Part One,

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Collectors Preferences II #23005 10/20/99 01:14 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Guess I'll weigh in on my experience of collecting in answer to Bob's questions above:

Yes.

Re: Collectors Preferences II #23006 10/21/99 09:58 AM
RezmanDale Offline
Ditto JChidester

I have 19 right now with two more on the way.I ahve been collecting since February.

I started out just collecting the ones I had visited. Then the Wwest Coast. Then...you know the story. Just got hooked!

I collect for all of the reasons stated. But the main reason is I just love them. After visiting several Lighthouses in Florida, I fellin love whith them and bought several small spoontiques, scassis and even a few unknowns. After Seeing Alcatraz on a trip to Calif I bought it nd therest is history.

There is a bit of a spiritual foundation that caused the origional interest in Lighthouses. Jesus says to "let your light shine before men so that they may see your good work and glorify the Father" I guess the lighthouse represents that spiritual hope that we have in Jesus!

[This message has been edited by DALE LAWRENCE (edited 10-21-99).]

Re: Collectors Preferences II #23007 10/21/99 01:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Couldn't have given a better answer myself John. That's ditto for us.

As for how many - 238 HL's after I ship 3 out today to one of our Newbies. And why, all of the above plus we love learning about lighthouses and each new one we get we learn something from.

We get the biggest kick out of having studied an HL only to later go and see it. That way they feel like old friends when you get to see them in person and it's great to know a little of their history. Another thing we love doing is answering all those question that people have when they see our obsession. As you all know, it tends to hook people into at least paying more attention to lighthouses if not into buying an HL or 50 or more. And darn it anyway, it's just plain fun.

Karen

Re: Collectors Preferences II #23008 10/21/99 02:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Opps! A correction to our post above. Our automatic shipment of HL's just arrived. If the Bob Younger Memorial tree is a true HL, then we now have 247 HL's. That makes 3 out the door and 9 in the door!

Love the snowman on East Quoddy! and the boat in the boathouse is the greatest, but that belongs in another area on the Forum!

Karen

Re: Collectors Preferences II #23009 10/21/99 02:40 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Please review Part 1 before answering. This was a interesting topic the first time, a 'yes' just doesn't cut it.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences II #23010 10/21/99 03:29 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
As a new collector I'm interested in what all you hardcore, long or short time collectors are interested in?

OK

Quote:
Do you collect your region?

Yes, started out that way.

Quote:
Ones you've visited?

Yes, second leg on road to Wackdom.

Quote:
Want to visit?

Yes, third leg on road to Wackdom.

Quote:
Cool ones?

Yes, fourth leg on road to Wackdom.

Quote:
Originals?

Yes -but aren't they all 'Original'?

Quote:
Low numbers?

Probably the reason for hangin' in there. I lucked into a low two-digit auto-ship from a dealer and signed up in early 1997.

Quote:
For fun?

Yes, a good example of the fun is right here.

Quote:
To make money?

Yes, aren't we all? I love them intrinsically for the beauty and history they represent; but it's nice to know there is a market for these and so I won't someday have to call the Salvation Army or have a yard sale.

Quote:
It would also be interesting to know how many and why you collect?

I'm missing Coquille, original Hatteras and some of the variations. I don't know how many that is, however.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 10-21-99).]

Re: Collectors Preferences II #23011 10/21/99 10:59 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
So wackos are 4 legged creatures?

MOMBO

Re: Collectors Preferences II #23012 10/22/99 12:52 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
No, No, No, Mombo....

...but they square dance.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,477 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users