Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rotate your display #22989 06/01/99 08:39 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I just noticed the "Tip Sheet" hadn't had a new post since 5/5/99. I just had to put something in here to get it back up to date.

Many collectors speak of crowded curios and the fact they have no room to display all their HLs. Until my addition on my home is finished, I too have no space to display all of my collection.

The best thing to do is rotate your stock. I usually take all my HLs out of the curios to clean the cabinet and the glass shelves about every 2-3 weeks. This is an excellent time to put a few of them in their boxes and put a few different HLs on the shelves.

I also change the positioning of my displays each time I rotate the stock. This makes the display more interesting, not only for me, but for my friends who are quite impressed with the beauty of these wonderful collectibles (including the Glows!).

Rotating the HLs in the display also prevents the HLs from always getting hit by the sun as it comes through my windows at different angles during different periods of the year. Neither of my curios is positioned in direct sunlight but the sun manages to illuminate them at different times of the day.

So the next time you're cleaning your curios, take a few pieces out and put a few new ones in. Move them around and your display will renew your interest each time you stop to look at what you spent all your hard-earned money for.

Bob

Re: Rotate your display #22990 06/13/99 12:33 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Bob,

I agree with you. We need to make this the most active forum on the net. This is where we keep and display one of our most prized future antiques. Alright Harbour Lighters, get busy and discuss what you do with your reminders of one of America's most prized posessions.

My oak dresser in my son bedroom, he's at college, is a recreation of entering New York Harbour. The Winking Lady greets you followed by The Twin Lights. Little Red is next and if you go up the Hudson too far, you meet Saugerties. If you go north by mistake and overshoot the Winking Lady, there is Gay Head, Highland, Nobska, Skituate, & Edgarton. If you turn south by mistake you see Sea Girt. I'll probably never see these lights in person, but I already have visited them and know them in my heart.

This is just my first display. Let me know if this bores you. I do not know how. I'd like to know what you do with these recreations. Ideas on display makes these collectibles so interesting as Bob has said. I await your responses.

Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Where the drizzle is back and the tide contiues to ebb!

Moby
Re: Rotate your display #22991 06/15/99 07:38 AM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Ok guys and gals,

I need help here. Running out of room. Where are those ideas for display I know you have!

Moby

Moby
Re: Rotate your display #22992 06/15/99 12:34 PM
LamarB Offline
You can do what I do: buy more curios. Looks good, protects the HL's, minimizes unnecessary handling and possible damage.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Rotate your display #22993 06/15/99 02:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Like Lamar, I just keep buying curios. Up til now, I have displayed them by area of the country. But have thought of other ways I could arrange them in the curios as well.
1.By geographical location
2.By purchase date
3.By HL number
4.In order that I visited them
Perhaps, if I think about it more, I will come up with some more ways. Whatever the display looks like, one should dust them and the curio on a regular basis.
Derith

Re: Rotate your display #22994 06/15/99 02:51 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Guys and Gals,

NEW IDEAS PLEASE!

MOBY

Moby
Re: Rotate your display #22995 06/15/99 02:57 PM
Lighthousedude Offline
I NEED MORE SPACE!!

Unfortunately, I do not have the room to display all the Harbour Lights I would like to. I have room for one more (oh no, just one) and then I have to pick and choose which ones I'll have to pack away.

Also, I'm in competiton with my other half who collects Boyd Bears. So far we are "honoring our treaty" but soon the "battle lines will be drawn". Just kidding!!

Anyway, I think it's O.K. to have to put some away because you can take them out later and It's almost like the first time you took it out. Someday the kids will be gone (which I am not rushing buy any means) and there will be plenty of space.

I did get a couple of good ideas from this forum so when the time comes...............

Keep the Flame!

Re: Rotate your display #22996 06/15/99 09:10 PM
Sunshine Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I display my Harbour Lights in a variety of ways. Some are in curios cabinets. Others are on a bookshelf display. Still others are displayed on five foot long shelves with prints or photos behind them, above my couch and tv. Another area has corner shelves where just one lighthouse or maybe two will fit.

I hope some of these ideas will help Moby.

Re: Rotate your display #22997 06/16/99 01:32 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Like Lamar and Derith, we keep getting more curios for the LEs. The OEs are on open book shelves. Talked to someone who found shelves that had plastic covers to them. Any new ideas would be wonderful! I'm working filling the next curio now, and I don't even have it yet.

Kathy

Re: Rotate your display #22998 06/17/99 06:44 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline
R
Hey Guys and Gals,

I do appreciate your thoughts but I'm looking for original new ideas. Anyone out there daring and inventive?

Moby

Moby
Re: Rotate your display #22999 06/17/99 07:16 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Moby: Just did a search for the "countertop with fish net and Xmas lights" display as I thought it sounded neat and it was youridea! Don't know what style of house you have but I like the idea of the old type china cabinet. They have nice glass doors, sturdy wooden shelves and could be adapted to take lights and mirrors. Actually a few antiques look great in a modern house!

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users