Next Thread
Print Thread
Other Mis-Assembled Ones??? #22951 11/12/98 09:37 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
This is a reply to a post on the Gray's Harbor Thread:

Are there other assembled pieces which could be mis-aligned?

Gray's wasn't the first to be cast in pieces and assembled. Clearly in pieces such as the metalwork ones, the upper part is separate. And where the top of the tower is complex and/or greater in diameter than the tower.

Let's categorize these by the relationship of the separately cast item to the base.

Mobile Bay - bell over flag
Drum Point - potty over flag
Thomas Point - double potty over flag
Gray's Harbor - upper door 1 facet CCW from lower door

Re: Other Mis-Assembled Ones??? #22952 11/12/98 09:18 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
White Shoals:

I have 2 White Shoals, an artist proof and a 3 digit piece. It is fairly obvious in comparison (IMHO) that the top sections are separate pieces, like Grays Harbor. (from the lower railing up is one separate piece)

Comparing the 2, one has been rotated very slightly at approximately 5 degrees from the other. As a reference, a Grays Harbor single rotation would be around 11 degrees. This would not be really considered a "variation" whatsoever, but does suggest that there is at least the possibility that a "major" rotation could exist somewhere, since it appears to be glued in like Grays. I can't see how they could differ as obvious as mine if they were not glued in separately. I am not for sure *why* the top would be separate though since it is smaller in diameter than the tower itself, but the more I look at it and compare numorous reference points, the more assured I am that it has been rotated slightly.

Just thought I would bring up the possibility for a few to keep their eyes open at least. Being a round tower, it is a difficult piece to determine a "reference" point on, though. It would probably take a good 30 degree or more rotation to be an "obvious" twist. Don't "friek" on trying to find some variations, I really doubt any exist.

PS: Based on the "hows & whens" of Artist Proof productions, I do not believe this is a factor in the comparisons.

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-02-98).]

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 1,466 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users