cf-banner.jpg
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help sought to assist friend to begin serious collection #22774 04/13/00 09:12 PM
S
soles Offline OP
OP Offline
S
A good friend has just recently begun to collect Harbour Lights easter seaboard lighthouses. She has a few of the more well known New England lighthouses...Portland Head, Nibble, etc. I would like to have a list of the less well known, but interesting lighthouses....still with us, or from a bygone era...., from New England, the Eastern Seaboard and the Great Lakes region. My hope is to eventually give her enough lighthouses to make her causal collection something special. Obviously, I am a "newbie" and would be most grateful for any suggestions. (We anticipate a long and happy friendship, with many occasions for gift-giving so the more suggestions the merrier!!
Many thanks to all----Jan

Re: Help sought to assist friend to begin serious collection #22775 04/13/00 09:59 PM
Brent Offline
Welcome to the Forum, Jan ...here's a few to consider:
Faulkner's Island, Ct.
Execution Rock, NY
Goat Island, Me
Old Saybrook, Ct.
Cape Elizabeth, Me
Bass Harbor, Me
Nobska, Ma
Fenwick, Del
Cape Henlopen, Del
Horton Point, NY
Hudson Athens, NY
Tarrytown, NY
Esopus Meadows, NY
Dunkirk, NY
Sturgeon Bay, Wi
Old Mission, Mi
Grand Haven, Mi
Lorain, Oh
Point Besie, Mi
White River, Mi
Big Sable, Mi
South Bass, Oh
Ship John Shoal, De
Old Point Comfort, Va
Oak Island, NC
Cape Hatteras, NC
Assateague, Va
Thomas Point, Md

There's alot more that I haven't listed but I'm sure that some of the other folks will have some additional "lights" to add. Those that I have listed are "on the market" at the present time. I didn't list any "retired" pieces. Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 04-13-2000).]

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member
Re: Help sought to assist friend to begin serious collection #22776 04/13/00 10:39 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
Hi Jan,

Welcome to the Harbour Lights Forum. This is a really great place to learn not just about Harbour Lights, but lighthouses in general. Plus, the members on the forum are an absolutely great group of folks.

My favorite Northeastern lighthouse is Fire Island. It has retired, but it is still available if you do some searching. There's a lot to learn about Harbour Lights.

First, a piece is issued as a Limited Edition and is issued a number. It has a limited availablity time - usually issue number, i.e, 8,000 or 10,000. Although some recent pieces are issued by a date retirement i.e. 9/27/00.

After a piece is retired, it can be redesigned as a Great Lighthouse of the World, which are open editions. They are generally less expensive than the Limited Edition, smaller in size, and considered giftware instead of "collectible".

Some "GLOWS" are released as Signature Series, which means it has been signed by Bill Younger, founder of Harbour Lights. Tybee Island, Thomas Point and Coquille are Signatures Series.

There is also a new line called This Little Light of Mine, which is a miniature version of the Limied Edition and run about $12.99 to $14.99.

If you go to a collectible store, ask for a Harbour Lights Brochure. It will show you all the pieces that are current and the retired pieces which are still available in some stores.

To forum members, please add whatever I may missed or gotten wrong.

Joanne

Re: Help sought to assist friend to begin serious collection #22777 04/14/00 01:35 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Go to the Product Search and in the Keywords field, type a body of water "Atlantic" or "Great Lakes". You'll then see all that meet your regional qualification.
www.HarbourLights.com/product_search/search.htm

Welcome to the Forums

Re: Help sought to assist friend to begin serious collection #22778 04/14/00 01:35 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Jan, you can call Harbour Lights on 800-365-1219 and ask for a copy of their "Product History". This is a list of all the lights they have made to date, along with the retail price, retirement date, edition size, etc. Also check the Catalogue in the HL website for additional information.

A nice gift would be a Society Membership.

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 04-13-2000).]

Re: Help sought to assist friend to begin serious collection #22779 04/14/00 10:02 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Jan and Friend,
Go to your dealer and get the latest catalog(which has all the HLs by region). Then see if you can find a Greenbook(price) guide. After you are totally overwelmed, use the above references(suggestions before mine)and the Forum and you'll be educated in no time! Welcome and enjoy!
-Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Help sought to assist friend to begin serious collection #22780 04/15/00 12:50 AM
T
Tim Offline
T
Jan... I began collecting Christmas of '98 when my wife gave me my first HL piece... Cape Elizabeth, ME. Well, since then, I have purchased over 25 pieces. The bug really grabbed a hold of me, and now I seek out many retired pieces. The HL web site has been a wonderful source of information; the HL chat room (and the many great folks that frequent that room) is a veritable plethora (I can't believe I just said that)of collecting information. Plus, I have also typed keyword (on AOL) "Harbour Lights" and have found many secondary market organizations that sell retired pieces - just in case your friend really gets bitten like I have. From one newbie to another... good luck in your endeavors and welcome aboard!

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave H), 1,162 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users