Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lighthouse Bill in Florida Legislature #2255 04/17/01 12:42 PM
J
Joanne Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Calling all Floridians, it's time to make a phone call to your State Representative and Senator. The following paragraph details a bill in the legislature that needs to pass. After the article, I have listed links that will open to both the Florida House and Senate. Please make the call to you Rep. and let him/her know that you want the Bill to pass.

"Bill Would Help Restore State's Lighthouses
Goal Of $100,000 Study To Restore, Open Many To Public

TALLAHASSEE, Fla., 9:30 a.m. EDT April 17, 2001 -- A St. Augustine legislator says he wants a survey of Florida's lighthouses, since may are in a critical state.
Representative Doug Wiles wants to find out just what needs to be done to get the lighthouses spruced up and operating. Florida's oldest lighthouse is in St. Augustine, and was built in 1824.
Only six of Florida's 30 lighthouses are open to the public, and most of them need some sort of renovation or repair. A House bill was unanimously approved in committee Monday could come to the floor for debate as early as next week.
The bill calls for a $100,000 study of the state's lighthouses to be conducted by the Department of State and the Department of Community Affairs. The results would be used to figure out what needs to be done to restore them and open them to the public."

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Legislators/index.cfm?Chamber=House&Submenu=1
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Legislators/index.cfm?Chamber=Senate&Submenu=1

Re: Lighthouse Bill in Florida Legislature #2256 04/18/01 02:13 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Joanne,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully your legislators will realize how important lighthouses are to the state's tourism. Of course, we all know how important they are in the history of our country and how much they have contributed. Sounds like Representative Wiles is making a good start here. Hopefully the rest of your legislature will agree and the bill will become enacted and funded!

Good luck,

Dave

Re: Lighthouse Bill in Florida Legislature #2257 04/18/01 12:24 PM
J
Joanne Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I will keep you informed if I hear anything regarding the bill. I'll call Wiles office next week.

Joanne

Moderated by  rscroope 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Rock, Dave H), 1,337 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users