For those of you who live in the St. Louis metropolitan area, or for those of you interested in a road trip, I found a unique furniture store that sells oak curio cabinets.
My husband and I recently made a road trip to Metropolis, Illinois (yes, that's the home of Superman) for a short getaway without the kids. We stopped by a local Hallmark store that was adjoined by the local pharmacy- actually, the pharmacist owned both businesses. I admired some of the curios that they were using to display some of the Hallmark collectibles. The clerk suggested that I speak with the owner about where he bought them (as they were not for sale).
Being a pharmacist myself, I couldn't resist talking to him. He told me that the curios had come from a store in Donnellson, Illinois (population 245) which is about 75 miles from St. Louis (and nowhere near Metropolis!).
My husband and I made a road trip there last weekend and found it quite easily. The store is called 40th and Plum (40 miles from nowhere and plum out in the sticks) and they have TONS of beautiful oak furniture as well as quite a few curios to choose from.
Well, needless to say, we found a curio cabinet, but also came home with a handcrafted amish cedar octagonal picnic table too!
Anyway, if you are in the area, it's a good place to buy quality stuff at reasonable prices (very low overhead out there in the middle of nowhere!).

chris g
(edited to correct spelling- haste makes waste1)

[This message has been edited by chris g (edited 05-05-2002).]

Chris G