Cyndi Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
By the edition numbers?
By States?
Are the flags facing out?
With or without tent cards.
I know everyone has thier own way of displaying thier Harbour Lights. Share with the rest of us how yours are displayed.

Cyndi
Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22285 09/06/08 01:28 AM
docsweetie Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have a large lighted display cabinet in which I display my HLs. I can't fit all of my collection in the cabinet. so some are still in boxes - those are the ones I haven't seen. In the past I have pulled out several lighthouses and displayed them on a coffee table --usually a set of HLs that I have seen on a trip. For example, I would pull out all the HLs from Ohio or from the Wisconsin coast of Lake Michigan. I have the HLs with the tent cards displayed in the cabinet too, but I've lost some in my last three moves so I need to replace. I put the Christmas lighthouses on the top shelf of my cabinet for most of the year, and then put them on my fireplace mantel at Thanksgiving until New Years. I don't use the lights with my Christmas HLs -- too much trouble. We just enjoy them as they are.

I've had to stop putting out HLs on my coffee table due to Grandbaby Kelsey who is pulling up and VERY interested in those lighthouses that Grandma collects! Grandbaby Trey is not that much younger (she's 10 months and Trey is almost 7 months) so there will be no displays very low on tables for a few years to come....

docsweetie
From Grandkids: Aka Grandma Lighthouse
Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22286 09/06/08 02:33 AM
Shortcake Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mine are displayed in Geographical order. With my first light being Port Isabel, TX. Then in-order heading east along the Gulf Coast down the western coast of FL, around Key's then up the eastern coast. North up to Assateague, VA where I run out of curio cabinet. ALL the others are in there boxes in a closet. frown violin Well sort of..... the closet has run out into the room after the closet became full! eek

All are facing the front of the shelf's and are displayed with their tent cards.

Stephanie

God may have created man before woman,
but there is always a rough draft before the masterpiece.
Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22287 09/06/08 08:02 AM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Mine are displayedin Geographical order also but not in the order they are up the coasts. I have a curio(s) for each like southeastern, northeastern, great lakes, west coast, international, Christmas, Society pieces, etc. Eight curios in all and fast running out of room and no more room for curios either. No tent cards and the flags to the back. Makes you learn your pieces without those cheaters.

Rich
Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22288 09/06/08 10:52 AM
Weasel58 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Mine are grouped by state. Each state is in order from north to south, well except for Florida which is in order clockwise from Amelia island to Pensacola.

Eric
Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22289 09/06/08 11:14 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I mostly display what I like. Mostly New England lights, colorful lights (love red!), special flag #'s, etc.

It was much easier when my collection was in its infancy stage. Then I displayed them all. Now I display around 70-80 HL's out of the 650 or so I own. I try not to crowd them too much.

smile Bob

Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22290 09/06/08 03:16 PM
Lighthouse Duo Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
We display ours on shelves. No tent cards and no particular order.
The "big guys" are here:
even though that is by now a lot fuller than the picture shows.

LLOMs are on three of these:

and I will soon need a fourth!

Stan made all of those shelves.

We have a selected few on our mantel piece in the living room.

We have 145 HLs in total. 60 of them are LLOMs and of course we have the 12 little English lights.

I keep the boxes and the inserts and paperwork in the loft.

Margret
Lighthouse Duo
Live Love Laugh ...
Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22291 09/06/08 03:26 PM
Bill38429 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
We only have 20 or so HLs so far (we mainly collect Harbour Lights of lighthouses that we've seen in person), but we have them separated into states. It makes for a nice trip down memory lane to see them together with each vacation. As for the Little Lights, we have them by themselves on a decorative side table.

So far it's very simple for us, but if we get too many more (which we will since we have more lighthousing trips planned) we might have to figure out a different displaying method. I couldn't imagine having as many as some of you. I'm sure it can be a challenge. smile

Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22292 09/06/08 04:56 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I display most by region/area of the country (Northwest, Gulf Coast, Lake Erie, Lake Michigan, etc), but some by state if I have many from a certain state (New Jersey, Rhode Island, etc).

I have 4 curios, so far. When I buy a fifth, I'll need a fifth (Bob Ott knows what I mean). One curio fits seven to eight HL's per shelf, two fit four to five per shelf, and one fits two per shelf. I match how many I have for a region/area of the country with the size of the shelf. Some have multiple shelfs.

I use the tents cards. I never put a lighthouse in front of another. I change the angle I display a lighthouse from time to time, to fully appreciate it.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22293 09/06/08 07:39 PM
silverfox51 Offline
Wacko
Wacko
At present, I make a custom shelf to fit the base of the light. I then get a picture of the light when I see it. I then mount the two together on a wall. If the light, as more and more do, has a license plate from the state it resides in, I will mount the plate with it. I also have 3 small curios and some other bookcases that contain some lights. I have many in storage as I am adding on to the house. Aside from the new master bath, additon to a guest room, and a sewing room, there will be a large room which will be able to accept new lighthouse additions for some time to come.

Re: How do you display your Harbour Lights? #22294 09/06/08 09:47 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
My collection totals 377 Harbour Lights plus 4 Lefton Lights. I have 15 curio cabinets--4 wall cabinets in my home-office housing the early collections, one 6.5' half-circle one (Christmas and Collectors Society) flanked by two 6' with upper and lower glass doors (Washington and Pharo Collection and Southeastern Lights and Hudson River) on one wall, two 6' 3-sided glass cabinets (Florida and New York) on either side of a large bay window, and one 4' double-door with glass inserts on doors and sides (Maine) on a 3rd wall in the living room.

Going to the second floor, there's a small glassed-in brass cabinet housing the British Isles collection at the top of the stairs, to the right of the staircase is a glass-front cabinet that houses Special Editions/Historical Buildings and Massachusetts. An outside wall far right of that cabinet has two 4' 3-sided glassed-in cabinets for Fresnel Lenses and the 13 Mistakes I've collected thus far and a 7' tall x 4' wide cabinet housing the Great Lakes pieces (exclusive of the Series and Stamp Set). Across from that is another 7' tall x 4' wide cabinet that houses 60 LEs that don't yet warrant a separate cabinet.

The sculptures are in alpha order by state, then alpha order within the state except for the Event and the Collectors Society pieces. They are in numerical order. Each piece has its tent card in an adhesive-backed label holder that is stuck to either the edge of the shelf the piece sits on, or the edge of the acrylic or glass stand it sits on (each shelf is wide enough to hold sculptures close to the front and an acrylic stand or glass jar behind those in the front) or to the mirror that's in the back of each cabinet.

I have difficulty remembering what I had for lunch so not having tent cards and memorizing the name of each light is not an option for me. Kudos to those who can do that--I envy you.

Prior to moving here after putting on a second story, the only displayed lighthouses were the early collections. Zoning regs resulted in an unusual jog in the layout of the rooms on the second floor and, because it's not big enough for a 2nd bedroom on this level, I decided it would be where all paperwork related to my collection would be kept, as well as a number of the curio cabinets as mentioned before.

Our German Shepherd peers around the corner of the staircase whenever he hears someone descending them. I had visions of glass splinters flying everywhere because he gets so excited and wags his tail very hard. Stan improvised a simple barrier using 3 short landscape ties as feet, 3 shortened closet rods that insert into holes he put in "feet", and 2.5' wide silver insulation material that comes in a roll. He cut the insulation long enough to stretch in front of the 3 LR cabinets and adhesed that to both end posts with Velcro. When we have company, we roll the insulation onto itself and move it to another room. When in use, it protects the cabinets from both the dogs and our 19-month grandson, too.

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,311 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users