Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Damaged sculptures #22240 11/02/04 08:23 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Does anybody have experience with getting Harbour Lights pieces repaired when part or parts are missing? I recently bought a sculpture that has pieces missing and I would like to have it repaired. I don't have a clue where to begin looking and don't even know what material HL uses to make their sculptures. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Sandy

Re: Damaged sculptures #22241 11/02/04 09:32 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Contact Harbour Lights at 1-800-365-1219. They have given me names and phone numbers for companies/people capable of making repairs. I don't know the price but I bet it won't be cheap.

Rich
Re: Damaged sculptures #22242 11/03/04 11:57 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I can't help you out on that question, Sandy. I've never had a piece repaired. The only damaged piece I own is the new release, Alpena. One of the lines from the boom on the sailboat is "flapping in the breeze". I've been told a small amount of super glue will solve the problem but I haven't had a chance to fix it yet.

:rolleyes: Bob :rolleyes:

Re: Damaged sculptures #22243 11/03/04 11:42 PM
Dick Johnson Offline
I have only one piece that has had a problem and that is the Rock of Ages where I accidently broke off the boom. I have toyed with the "super glue" technique, but I would prefer some "expert" advice. My goal is not to decieve others for a sale, but to add to my personal enjoyment. I am very interested in others opinions of what is "appropriate, or acceptable" to be classified as a restoration, versus an attempt to repair for resale to make it "original". But then again, I have been watching to much Antiques Roadshow.

Bob, as to the Alpena my dealer ordered another and they have created a fix where they have added a new way to attach the sail. They provided me with the "modification" for the same production number at no cost in response to production problems.

Re: Damaged sculptures #22244 11/04/04 05:13 AM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Got a response from Harbour Lights and the names of two possible contacts. Will let you know results of my search in due time. In the meantime, continue to respond in case these two don't pan out. Now know that sculptures are made of cold-cast resin which is more than I knew before. And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks!! wink wink wink

Re: Damaged sculptures #22245 11/20/04 10:19 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Just to update everyone. . .I'm sending off my damaged sculpture on Monday to one of the two vendors HL recommended for an estimate. Will let you know how things progress.
Sandy

Re: Damaged sculptures #22246 11/20/04 10:47 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sandy,

My curiosity is finally getting the best of me. What sculpture are you referring to and what was broken?

I purchased a couple of sculptures that had missing tips/bulbs on top. You won’t believe how I fixed them. I purchased some Crayola Model Magic Modeling Compound (kid’s clay). It comes in various colors. I took a small piece, rolled it into a ball and set it on the counter to dry. It will dry in 24 hours without the use of an oven. That worked so well, I did a second one the same way, only after about an hour I added a short black wire to act like a lightning rod. That worked also.

I glued the tips/bulbs on the sculptures with something called Future Glue. Worked perfectly. Only a word of caution when using Future Glue – try not to get it on your fingers! If you do, just let it dry and then it will rub off. If you try to wipe it off before it's dry, all you’ll do is get a paper towel or tissue attached to your fingers.

Until the Future Glue dries on your finger, three warnings:

1. Don't rub your eyes.
2. Don't put your fingers in your mouth or on your lips.
3. Use extreme caution when going to the bathroom.

This from a man who learned the hard way.

bobo

Re: Damaged sculptures #22247 11/21/04 08:20 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Bob,
I purchased the 3 pieces not included in the original Pharo Collection--Bishop Rock England, Longstone, Northumberland, England, and Old Lundy (Lundy Island), British Channel, England--from a member of Collector Forums. The railing on the front of Longstone is completely gone, as is a portion of the base the railing wraps around on. The pieces are gone and the missing pieces will have to be recast by someone familiar with cold-cast resin repairs, as well as HL's paints, etc. Thanks for your input, but I don't have the parts necessary to attempt a repair myself.
Sandy

Re: Damaged sculptures #22248 11/21/04 09:24 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sandy,

I wouldn't even know where or how to start. Now I understand why you were searching for an expert. Good luck. Please let us know how things turn out.

bobo

Re: Damaged sculptures #22249 12/21/04 12:16 AM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Received a phone call earlier today in response to two phoned messages and two e-mails that I can expect an estimate by week's end. He's "been inundated with pieces requiring repair" was the explanation given as to delay in responding. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sculpture can be repaired according to Hans (owner of the company), so I'm hopeful. smile smile Will let you know details when I get them.

Re: Damaged sculptures #22250 12/21/04 08:53 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Imagine having a very rare piece suffer some minor damage like a chip or maybe a missing ventilator ball and then finding out it can be repaired to the point that no one will ever know the difference. Now that is a plus and well worth the additional investment if the piece is rare enough. I'm sure most of us will admit that there are a lot of HL's that wouldn't be worth repairing when you see what you can buy a replacement piece for.

Re: Damaged sculptures #22251 12/22/04 12:13 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
I received a West Quoddy last night that had the lantern room completely broke off. I was very upset. Called the dealer today and contacted UPS. The insurance claim is in the works. Great person to deal with. First time I have ever received a broken piece. The Great Captain came in OK. Bought them only because they were lightning rod pieces.

Bert smile

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Damaged sculptures #22252 12/22/04 07:24 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Wow, it must have taken a pretty good blow to knock the lantern room off. Were there broken pieces inside the box to indicate it actually came apart during the shipping? Was the outer box damaged at all?

If the West Quoddy and the Great Captain were both in the same outer box, you were lucky that the corner(s) of the roof on the Great Captain weren't chipped off. That can happen quite easily to that piece.

Sorry to hear about your aggravation, Bert.

frown Bob frown

Re: Damaged sculptures #22253 12/22/04 10:31 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Hi BOb,

Yes there was some damage to the package, especially at one of the corners. Nothing major, but noticable. Whenever I opened the package and saw the damage I was shocked. It was well packaged by the seller. There were some chips in the packaging material which leads me to believe that the damage was done in shipment.

I always wanted at least one LE with a lightning rod. Bought two, but am down to the one. I guess I should consider myself fortunate. They both could have come through damaged.

frown Here is a photo of the damage. frown

Bert frown

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Damaged sculptures #22254 12/22/04 10:45 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
With a little Krazy Glue, I bet that you could make that Quoddy look like new. It might not be worth as much if you go to sell it, but I think I'd rather display an investment like that repaired than broken and hiding. It looks like a clean break, if you're REEEEALLLY careful, I think that this could be at least above-eye-level-in-the-curio quality. smile

Give it a try...if you've wanted this piece so much for so long, than I think it is worth it to attempt a repair moreso than to have something you have wanted so long sitting in a box in the basement. smile

Re: Damaged sculptures #22255 12/22/04 10:54 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bert,

If it is yours now then I would definately try to repair it. If you can build the AB case then you can repair this piece. If you want to attempt a home repair and want me to do it for you then ship it to me and I'll attempt the repair. You just pay the shipping both ways and I'll give it a shot. Can't say that your hairdresser won't know but it looks like a clean break and if you have all the pieces then we have a chance to almost make it look like new.

Rich
Re: Damaged sculptures #22256 12/22/04 10:58 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Talk about losing your head!

Maybe Sandy will have some good news about the repair of HLs that can put you back on the path to having two lightning rod pieces.

Re: Damaged sculptures #22257 12/23/04 09:47 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
What an odd break. I wonder if that is a weak point on all West Quoddys. I wish I would have known you were looking for a couple of lightning rod pieces. I have some duplicates in stock but not of West Quoddy.

Re: Damaged sculptures #22258 12/31/04 05:02 PM
sandy Offline OP
Cruise Director
OP Offline
Cruise Director
Received quotation for restoration of PC 106, Longstone, the damaged piece that's part of the complete 8-piece Pharos Collection. It'll cost $165 to restore the missing rail, match and paint the repairs, and ship back to me. Even with the repairs, the complete set will cost me less than the price recently stated (by Flacoastie, I think) to get the 3 pieces from his contact in Great Britain, thanks to two CF members. I'll post pictures of the finished piece when it's returned--could be as long as 10 months per the quote.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Sandy

Re: Damaged sculptures #22259 01/02/05 10:12 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't know if I would be willing to spend that kind of money unless it was a really "big-buck" HL LE like a thin tower HL 102 or a Coquille River.

I guess you have to ask yourself if it would make you smile when the repairs are finished.

smile Bob smile

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,375 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users