Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Collectors Preferences #22115 09/02/98 01:08 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
As a new collector I'm interested in what all you hardcore, long or short time collectors are interested in? Do you collect your region? Ones you've visited? Want to visit? Cool ones? Originals? Low numbers? For fun? To make money?
It would also be interesting to know how many and why you collect?

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22116 09/02/98 01:42 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess I should start it off. I discovered HL at the CurrituckLH giftshop in late July. My first priority was to get Montauk. After securing it, I started looking for all east coast lighthouses that I have visited which are many. Living on Long Island, and traveling on beach vacations every summer from Bar Harbor, Maine to Key West, Fla , I've immediately found many LHs to that I'd like to acquire as well as many that are retired and to costly to purchase. My game plan is to get as many as possible as close to original cost as possible, and probably fill in the untouchables with GLOWS. The search has been fun, and exciting to find a HL that is hard to get. It's only been a month and I'm already hooked. I found one dealer's display case with the LH's in sand that was different and impressive.
Well that's my 30 day story!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22117 09/03/98 12:18 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
I started the last week of July 1996.

Although HL had been around for 5 years by then, I'd never seen one until I was visiting the Monodock gift shop in Mackinac City MI. They carried Harbour Lights and several other lines. I thought I'd pick up the various Michigan lights while I was on vacation there (it's my home state). But the HL's were in the $60-$75 range each and the one I picked to collect were in the range of $10-$17 each.

I did buy the Harbour Lights stamp set and Tawas City and had them shipped home. Meanwhile we continued on down the Lake Michigan shoreline, seeing a few lighthouses and visiting a few gift shops. I came home with 24 brand "X" lighthouses, but found the shipped HLs on the doorstep.

I was hooked shortly thereafter. My first goal was Great Lakes lighthouses, but that went quickly by the by and I aimed for all. Except for Coquille and original Hatteras and some of the rarer variations, I have a complete collection.

I do collect all the models of Fort Gratiot Lighthouse in Port Huron MI, my old hometown, and have versions of that lighthouse by 4-5 different makers.

It's an obsession, for course. But it's a "Magnificent Obession". It re-kindled my interest in lighthouses and since 1996, we've visited quite a few.

My words of advise? Go slow. Enjoy each, one at a time. Don't load up the credit cards. Set a goal, make a plan, and stick with it. Collect those you like, those you've been to, different states, or regions. Watch the Retired@Retail listing. Every once in a while a great find shows up there. Make friends with fellow collectors.

John [Everything I needed to know about collecting lighthouses, I learned from others]

[This message has been edited by JChidester.]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22118 09/03/98 09:42 AM
J
Jeff Hix Offline
J
I started collecting in August 1997. I had always been interested architectural miniatures. I thought about collecting Lilliput Lane for a time. But they get to be a little on the pricey side. There is one LL sculpture that has an entire English village, including a lighthouse on it. But it runs around $1,400. For one! So I came upon a display of Harbour Lights lighthouses in a Hallmark shop in Michigan City, IN. I liked the way they looked and they were certainly reasonably priced. I thought "What the heck, maybe I'll buy a couple." I bought Grosse Point, IL and Currituck, NC.

I have been buying and selling Hallmark ornaments for a while and a few weeks later I came upon another display. I had seen Navesink in a magazine ad and thought it looked pretty impressive. It was even more so in person. And this store had one. I was about to walk out without it because $245 seemed like a lot at the time. But my wife said "If you want it, go ahead and get it. We can certainly afford it." (She has a corrupting influence on me that way. :-) )

So I bought it. And since part of my job involves working with the internet, I got up on the web and looked to see if there were any web sites about Harbour Lights. After wading through the store web sites, I came upon two - one run by Mike Richards, and the precursor to this site, Lighthousekeepers.com. Both sites had good advice for new collectors and I printed out many pages of information. I studied what I had printed out in order to devise a strategy. (I guess I was hooked.) I would buy as many retired ones as I could at retail and then start looking for the older and newer ones. I was able to get a surprising number of them at retail. It takes a lot of effort, but the savings is worth it. I called HL and got a dealer list. (You can print it out from this web site now.) I went to all of the dealers in this area. Then I started going to other dealers who were anywhere near an area I was at. I know people say you can call the numbers from the dealer list, but I've found that there are a lot of people who don't have the time to read off a list of every lighthouse they have in stock. I think you have better luck visiting the dealers yourself.

And after 13 months of collecting, I have every lighthouse, including major variations, except for Nauset Beach, Ocracoke, Key West, Split Rock, MI, and the two Cape Hatterases. I will have all of them before the year is out except for the elusive Cape Hatteras version one. Those don't come up for sale too often. And when they do, they cost as much as a used car.

So if you want some advice, buy the Greenbook. Buy the Collectors' Value Guide. Look at every page of this web site. Look at every page of Mike's web site. Join the Collector's Society. Buy Jim Rutherford's Harbour Lights Lighthouse Survival Guide (HLSG@aol.com). Study all of this material. Decide how much you can afford to spend. Then go for it!

Re: Collectors Preferences #22119 09/03/98 11:03 AM
B
Bob St Clair Offline
B
I have been collecting Harbour Lights for close to three years.

I found HLs while looking for Lilliput Lane in collectors magazines. My wife has a small collection of LL.

I ask her LL dealer in our town if she would consider stocking HLs, she said that she had been a dealer but due to lack of interest in this area she dropped the line, but she would stock some for me. Well that all it took.

I have appropximatly 100 pieces and continue to buy when and as I can. I collect for my pleasure, I have no set pattern to my madness just shear pleasure.

I found Johns web site and that has been the single most help for me, through this site I have been able to visit with other collectors and have gotten information from them that continues to be priceless.

I have had the pleasure in meeting Bill Younger and he is sincere about his relationship with his clients.

You can call HLs office and they will drop everything they are doing to help.

One piece of advice would be don't think a
question is stupid, everyone collecting HLs started with one lighthouse, and ask lots of questions. stupid and otherwise.

Enjoy Harbour Lights and collect for only yourself and your enjoyment.

Bob
Re: Collectors Preferences #22120 09/03/98 05:52 PM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
I climbed my first lighthouse (Key West) in 1989, directly after it's restoration was completed.
...that triggered a spark that smoldered for many years.

After visiting a host of Cape Cod lights in the fall of 1996, I decided to buy a Highland Light for my wife for Christmas. This was the first time I really looked at the sculptures.
...the kindling finally ignited after a 7 year lul.

Within a month or so after Christmas, the Highland was MINE, along with 10 to 15 others (sorry Becki). I soon discovered John's site (when it was still on AOL), along with Mike's and Nico's. The learning process soon began.
...adding lighter fluid to the fire

At first the promise was "just ones we visited", then it was "just ones we visited AND Great Lakes lights". "East of the Mississippi" soon crept in, then it expanded to "Continental US only", and ultimately "ANY I WANT"

I am going at a steady, but slow pace to obtain mostly all someday. The original Hatteras and misspelled Split Rock will always be out of my price range (if I still want a wife). I gradually replace all my earlier pieces with Canadian lightning rod versions with white boxes when I can afford to (around 15 replaced so far). I think I have around 140+ right now. I still need 7 of the 15 or so most sought after pieces to complete the "hard to gets". I am also infatuated (or insane) with collecting the HL memorabilia junk. I have all the buttons and brochures from '91-'98. All the stamps, pocket planners, calenders, and society & reunion stuff. All the Christmas cards back to '93, and some rarer old bumper/decal stickers, t-shirts, unpainted ornaments, and some wierd one-of-a-kind stuff personalized by Bill (thanks John, Paul and Ken)
...it's now a raging firestorm!

I think the best part of collecting Harbour Lights has been all the friends I have made on the internet and locally at signings. This group of collectors are definately some top of the line helpful and friendly people. I also now have a tremendous interest in visiting real lighthouses, and plan all our vacations around the coasts. I don't know if I enjoy visiting & photographing real lighthouses or collecting the sculptures more. We have now been to 130+ lights in 11 states so far, with nice photographs of around 105 of them. I almost get a high when I finally have made contact with a lightkeeper or owner through persistance who will allow us onto private property, or inside a private light for a tour when it is not the norm or during museum hours.

Its not hard "keeping the flame" once you start
...it's just difficult from becoming a pyromaniac!!!!

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 03-15-99).]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22121 09/03/98 08:02 PM
L
Lorraine Healy Offline
L
I started collecting in July of 97 and have had one HECK of a lot of fun searching out retired pieces @ retail. I found the search to be half the fun.. perhaps even MORE than half. I have 181 pieces now, including Coquille, which was without a doubt the most magnificent Valentines gift a Harbour Lights addict..errrr, AFICIONADO could receive. My recommendation?
* Use the HL Dealers list,
* Call and email them,
* Find out if they have any retired pieces
(many emailed me their inventory),
* Get in your car and HUNT!
* Keep your ear open, search the websites, ESPECIALLY Retired @ Retail!!!
* Keep meticulous records of every move so
you can relive every minute of the fun.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22122 09/04/98 12:37 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Since moving to California, my husband & I became interested in touring lighthouses. A person at work knew of our interest & showed us a miniature lighthouse she collected. We did some checking on styles produced by several companies and after seeing Harbour Lights, we were hooked!

We started collecting February 22 of this year. Only California (where we live) lighthouses. Then all West Coast lights were acceptable. We're originally from Wisconsin so . . . we must get lighthouses from "home". Did you know Wisconsin is bordered by a couple of the Great Lakes? Therefore, ANY Great Lake light was accepted. Our research showed that lighthouses were first established on the East Coast, of course they became a "must have" also.

We now have over 55 limited editions & 20 "specialties".

My advice, keep reading this forum and posting questions. Find a good dealer to work with, ours always finds "special" items in the back of the storeroom. Enjoy the seahorse hunt with each piece. They are categorized as "collectibles" but they are really treasures to be cherished.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22123 09/04/98 07:08 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I became legally insane, ...er a Harbour Lights collector November 1996. My first piece being a Jupiter, FL which I purchased as a gift for my then soon to be fiancee (if she only knew then what she knows now!!) I joined the collectors society shortly thereafter and really got down to business.

I now have around 82 limiteds and a few opens thrown in for good measure. Slowly but surely, as money allows, I pick up some of the hard to find pieces, with my goal of owning as many as possible wihtout getting divorced. I guess I thought I would start out only collecting Great Lakes pieces, but once I became "hooked", I just couldn't say no to other releases. It keeps getting harder to say no as the quality keeps getting better and better.

Helping me tremendously getting started was John's website (of course it still does now as HL.com!) John was very helpful and answered many questions for me. I bought my first secondary pieces from him and Warren through LighthouseKeepers. The internet is a very valuable tool for us collectors and even more important, I feel I have made some valuable new friendships with fellow collectors (Hopefully no new enemys) and look forward to someday meeting all of you.

Harbour Lights has rekindled my interest in lighthouses, and my wife and I take a trip each summer to visit and photograph different lighthouses. Collecting these addictive little structures is a rewarding hobby for us both, although technically, Jupiter is the only one that I say is hers!!

Re: Collectors Preferences #22124 09/08/98 09:00 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for everybody's input. I don't feel as crazy or obsessive about HL anymore. It's comforting to know I'm not alone.
I've been to all Long Island dealers(15), many internet sites and have really learned alot.I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg.
Major accomplishments so far:
- Acquired all the spyglass and most of the ornaments including the society pieces.
- Found and bought the 3 steel suspension LHs(ie Thomas Pt) at retail from 3 different dealers or collectors. Found one dealer who wanted $300@ or $800 for all 3. Are you kidding me, this hobby's expensive enough!!
Anybody else got some good stories or info?
Thanks-
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22125 09/09/98 01:56 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
I am one of the fortunate Harbour Light collectors. We started the day that HL
introduced them to our dealer.We were in picking up a lighthouse plate (Lou was also
an avid plate collector - 2000+). The dealer called us into the back room and asked
us what we thought of the lighthouses and would we buy them. Lou said we might (I
said sure) it would make nice gifts for me. We asked what the price was and felt it
was reasonable.

The rep said the first four also came with a commemerative stamp and jokingly
added someday the stamp might be worth more than the lighthouse.

That was the start. I have one of every lighthouse that HL has issued: including
GLOWs, ornaments, specials, etc. also Anchor Bay. When they quit CH1 (HL102) and went
to CH2 (HL102R), Lou asked me if I wanted it. I replied, I have one. Why would I
need another?. Well this year I picked up CH2. But not at retail. We have paid
retail for every piece with the exception of CH2 and the NPLs. We have a few of the
variations (would you believe Gray’s Harbor and a few others) but we don’t actively
pursue them. We have them for the enjoyment and I guess because we are collectors.
Harbour Lights is one of our prized collections, but some of our other collections
are just as enjoyable. HL might not be nearly as enjoyable today were it not for the
internet and my discovery of the different websites.

I am also a charter member of the HL Society (#1358). How many other charter
members are still out there?

Fred Kuhlman

[This message has been edited by FredKuhl.]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22126 09/09/98 03:56 PM
LamarB Offline
I'm not sure what constitutes a charter member of the Collector's Society. I joined the first year. My number is in the 5000's.

I got started on HL with Block Island SE when it was first issued. I've been interested in the real thing since '91 or so and Block Island SE was then and still is one of my favorites, so I HAD to buy the HL sculpture. I felt guilty paying so much for a sculpture and my sweet darling wife Kim had a fit!

When I received Block Island SE I marveled at its intricate, life-like beauty. I was hooked. Today I have around 90.

I went through the same futile attempts at self-control where I told myself I'd only collect the ones I'd actually visited. That soon changed to only those in the South and the ones I'd visited. That progressed to only the East Coast and the South and the ones I'd actually visited. Then the Great Lakes and the East Coast and the South and so on, and so on, and so on. Now it's the ones I want.

Funny how so many of us are like that isn't it?

[This message has been edited by LamarB.]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22127 09/28/98 07:10 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Reunion Attendees,
This is a great time to add your pursuit of the Holy Grail!!
Enjoy your review of those who have already participated, and then add your adventure for future generations.
Thanks.
Bob Scroope

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22128 09/28/98 10:44 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
I got my first HL when I turned 50 from my sisters. After that, I would get one here and there for gifts. Then I found a first mold Assateague (#74) and Al became more interested in the hunt. We got all we could find. Am a charter member (#609) of the society. Now we have a special dealer who calls when the new HL is in. We have them all except for Coquille, the original Hatteras and some of the mistakes. Love to see each and every one as they arrive. HL keeps making them better and better. We still check out dealers when we're traveling - still thinking in the back of our mind that we might find something hidden on a shelf as many did in the past. Don't think that's going to happen any more especially with the way HLs have caught on. The first ones were a marvel to look at when they came out - it's unbelievable to look at them and compare what HL can do with details now.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22129 10/11/98 04:08 PM
G
Ginger Settimmo Offline
G
A friend of mine started to collect them about 2 years ago and tried to get me interested in doing the same. I would get a Lighthouse for birthdays, Christmas and other occasions. My first piece was Thomas Point. About a month ago he gave me Alcatraz and I have been hooked since. He is a very persistent person and I am stubborn, so 2 years wasn't too bad. I have made a plaque and today I made a switch cover. That is what usually happens to me , I go from one extreme to another. I am into selling and trading and just having fun. The lighthouse I would love to get is Navesink , I took my kids up there when they were little. The road to get up there is narrow and scary. I also would like Sandy Hook , as I live in the area and spent many summer days there.
Hope to talk and trade ideas with all you experienced collectors.
Ginger

Re: Collectors Preferences #22130 10/28/98 09:31 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Last call for anyone who would like to share their collecting profile with us!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22131 10/28/98 12:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I started collecting New York and New England. It got to be a bit much with all the other stuff we have. So I sold some of the New England and kept my favorites and now I basically collect only the New York State ones, of which there have been quite a few in the past few years.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22132 10/28/98 08:40 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
I bought my first HL, Southeast Block Island, in 1994. I spend considerable time at Block Island each summer and purchased the light because it was a great representation on the actual light. I never really thought about the value of the piece until I came upon a web site in September of 1997 that indicated my HL 128 had more than tripled in value.
I thought it might be nice to purchase a few more of the area lights that I had visited. I bought Brant Point, Beaver Tail, and Castle Hill. I then got into "lighthousekeepers.com" and the rest is history. My collection has grown to more than 100 pieces in just over the last year.
My wife asked me what I had planned on doing with all my HLs now that the curio was full and most every flat spot in the house was occupied. I felt the best way to solve the problem was to buy another, but larger curio. She then asked, " where would we put it?" It was then I suggested we put an addition on the house.
Well, the plans are drawn and I'm waiting for the building inspector to issue the permit. I figure the 20 x 24' room with a cathedral ceiling should alleviate the HL display problem for now.
What started as a purchase of a small icon has now turned into a "way of life." What started as "buy the ones we visited" has turned into "I got to try to get them all!"
Harbour Lights is not just a collectible to me but is actually a new way of life. I have made many new friends on the Internet in my pursuit of these sometimes elusive symbols of another time. I attended the HL Collector's Society Reunion in Providence and found that the family who is responsible for the manufacture of these precious items are about as nice as people can be.
I will forever remember the great time provided by the Younger family in Providence. I will also change my collecting habits so that some day I will own every piece ever made by what I consider to be the greatest collectible in the world.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22133 10/30/98 03:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Michael (my husband) gave me St. Augustine as his wedding gift to me when we got married on 1/1/95. He had proposed to me at Point Fermin and Point Vicente (a rather long-drawn out proposal) just a year before. We didn't get really hooked for about the first six months. Then we got an invite to a reps show at Dana Drugs (the sight of the first purchase) in I believe Burbank. We decided to go and see what it was all about. It was a fifty mile drive for us, but well worth it. We won our second two HL's that day in the reps drawing. That was all it took, we were hooked.

Everytime Younger and Associates would ask which one we wanted them to make, our answer was always Point Fermin and Point Vicente. We were thrilled when Point Fermin was released. That one I will hopefully have till the end of my time on earth.

Then at the start of the 97 reunion, Kim told me I was going to get a thrill at the Saturday night dinner. Was she ever right. The cold chills that ran down my back when I walked into the room and saw Point Vicente on the auction table. Michael gave Kim's husband a run for his money when Point Vicente came up for auction. I am so glad our dear collectors in South Carolina got it as the price was a bit stiff for us. And they have given us visiting rights.

We can't wait for the new Vicente to come out , it's been a long wait, but I am sure well worth it.

We now have over 250 HL's. We are short 4 of the LE's, but have the rest. We really can't believe that we have won 16 of our LE's and one OE in drawings and at events. And we have been sent two event pieces by dealers as a "thank you for your business". At one event, we even won 12 HL calendars and three memberships in the HL Society and turned them back in because we figured we didn't need them. Little did we know at the time!!

We have learned so much about lighthouses and collectibles because of our collecting of these wonderful beacons. It's been a wonderful way to get an education.

Karen

Re: Collectors Preferences #22134 10/30/98 11:51 AM
P
PamBrian Offline
P
We first encountered Harbour Lights around 9 months ago. The reason we had never seen them before is that Colorado is NOT a Lighthouse Mecca.

After visiting the Lighthouses along the Oregon Coast this summer, we decided to take the plunge (Ironically, the one we wanted the most was Coquille River. Then, when we got home and got all the information we could get our hands on, we found it was the one light we would probably NEVER have).

In any event, here's the progression of our buying strategy:

A) Buy only the lights that we have visited.

B) OK, all the lights we have visited PLUS any that we were close enough to see (that was mainly so we could include Tillamook)

C) OK, add any that we were CLOSE to but couldn't see because of the fog (that was mainly Cape Blanco and Arago...if they ever do an Arago......gotta plan for the future, ya know).

D) Add any that we have PLANS to see.

E) Let's make it easy. ALL North Carolina (for her), NJ (for me), and Oregon lights (for us).

F)and any in the NY metropolitan area and Cape cod as I'm SURE I've seen them at some point in my life. OH, I was to Maine a couple of times so I'm sure I've seen them as well.

G) Add any that we WANT to see (that was mainly so I could get Split Rock)

H) Add any that are just basically cool.

And finally....

I) Add any that are retired but still at the dealers that may be worth more than the retail price (that was from the materialistic side of me).

I'm now working on a new strategy....something along the lines of "OK...let's approach this from a different angle: Which ones do we want to rule OUT. Unfortunately I haven't got very far with it yet".

Regards,
Brian

Re: Collectors Preferences #22135 10/30/98 12:13 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Brian -- sounds like a text book definition of how the HLA syndrome invades a person's mind. Now is Pam afflicted as well? (Or are you still hiding some of the last purchases in the attic?)

Re: Collectors Preferences #22136 10/30/98 12:21 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! John!!
Don't start giving away the hiding places.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22137 10/30/98 01:27 PM
Kaiz Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I started collecting Department 56 a couple of years ago. One day while visiting our local dealer, she pointed out to my husband the lighthouses. They were nice and we started really looking at them. Well the first one we had to buy was Charlotte-Genesee which is our home light. I've lived here all my life and never even saw the lighthouse until we purchased our first Harbour Light.

Then the craze took over...Mike started looking into the Harbour Lights history and we started buying pieces that we liked or that were close by (Buffalo, Fort Niagara).

Before the reunion we took a trip to the Cape and now we have to add all the ones we saw while on the trip.

After a year of collecting we have over 50 lights and had to purchase two curio cabinets. Mike was being realistic in his attitude towards the purchase of the old retired ones....that is until he won Cape Hatteras (Mold I) at the Reunion. Now the man has gone nuts....he's constantly on the computer looking for "deals". He's gotten so bad that I've had to "shut him off from buying lights".

However, I really must admit that I like the lights as much as he does...but one of us has to stay sane in the purchasing.

Patty

Re: Collectors Preferences #22138 10/30/98 01:32 PM
P
PamBrian Offline
P
Pam is a co-conspirator as well.

Which is good news and bad news....The good news being that I don't get too much grief (which MAY be attributed to that little skeleton in HER closet known as Beany Babies).

The bad news is that there's no one stopping me from this crazed buying spree. In fact she's been encouraging it (at least I THINK she is).

And the people at The Brass Rose in Bandon seem to like me.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22139 10/30/98 02:29 PM
L
LINDA Offline
L
I've always had a passion for lighthouses, dragging my family to any that were close (3 hours or so driving time) to where we were vacationing. I had noticed some HL but thought they were expensive so I passified myself with cheaper versions...until I got one as a Christmas present. Since it was 30 mile point and part of the Stamp Series, I only thought it was right to get the rest of that series. Then I thought maybe I should get the ones that I've been to (unfortunately for me some of those were long retired (Key West, St Augustine, St Simons, Cape Hatteras). Once I started looking I was hooked. Now I seem to be able to make an excuse about why I need to buy some of them (they are all COOL!).I've even started into the seondary market, something I could have sworn I never would do. But I don't regret a single minute spent looking or a single dollar I've spent. I LOVE those little lighthouses.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22140 10/30/98 02:40 PM
D
DEPDOG10 Offline
D
Well, compared to most of the replies here I am a newborn... I just started collecting HL two weeks ago. We were on vacation in Mass., touring the north shore and Nantucket. I saw HL for the first time in a little store in Chatham Ma. When I saw them I fell in love with them. I almost bought the Chatham light there but since our vacation was already way over budget....I passed it up.

When I returned to Rochester NY, I made my interest of HL known to all. Suddenly I received Charlotte-Genesee (located in Rochester) from my mother. I started looking around in stores and bought Gay Head (another light I have visited). I then found a Heceta Head ed#427 of 5500 at retail. So my collection had grown to 3 lights, but I am hopeful to increase it whenever the budget allows.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22141 11/01/98 05:46 PM
RRohweder Offline
I swore that I would never start telling lighthouse stories, but since Karen posted on here, I'll tell one (since she's the one that I told that I didn't want to start telling stories to).

In November 1972, I was assigned to the U.S. Coast Guard Station at Port Huron, Michigan. I had the good fortune to live in quarters right below the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse. I gave tours, supervised it's painting and made necessary repairs to keep it lit for the lake freighters plying their way between Lake Huron and the St. Clair River.

On a very stormy night during that month, all of our boats except a 17 foot utility boat were tied up performing missions on the river and in the lower lake when we received a call that someone was in distress swimming in the water about two miles out into Lake Huron. The other boats were at least an hour from the area, so a engineer and I set out in the 17 footer. We arrived in the area to find no one in the water and after searching for about fifteen minutes, turned back toward the mouth of the river. Navigation was very difficult because of mountainous seas and heavy spray being carried by the wind. We rode over one wave followed by another and suddenly stopped with the entire boat shuddering from end to end. We had just survived a 24 foot wave, which I knew because we had struck bottom in an area with 12 feet of water normally. The compass tore off of it's mountings and we had no way to navigate back in except through the haze and spray we were able to pick out a slight glow every few seconds. To make a long story short, we made it back to the river mouth on a very slow bell, and that glow we navigated by was Fort Gratiot Light, so I have a very strong attachment to that particular light to this very day.

My Coast Guard career gave me many opportunities to see many lights and work on several of them between 1965 and 1988. In December of 1992, I saw Portland Head at my local dealers, and I bought it simply because of my love for lighthouses. My next one was Cape Hatteras (2nd version) the following December, but I still wasn't hooked. For some reason, still unknown to me, I started collecting like a mad man in 1994, and am still at it. My reason remains my love of lighthouses with the disclaimer that, if something should happen to me, my wife will probably sell most of our collection which is in the range of 145 pieces now. I also struggle with finding horizontal surfaces, but will find a way.

There you are Karen. Are you happy now. And even a Fort Gratiot Light story for St. John. I await the day Harbour Lights makes that light and hope I can get a really low number for it when it happens. I also understand that I have a terminal disease, and I hope the doctors can't find a cure for it.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22142 11/02/98 10:09 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Since I am a new collector of HL's I haven't really established a buying strategy yet. I will probably attack it the same way I do my coin collection. I have found that going after the "investment" pieces is best but that is usually not practical because of their usually high cost, especially if you are on a tight budget. A good freind and lifelong collector of collectables told me that I should buy what catches my eye. Every piece is an investment, maybe not now but someday, and if it catches your eye, then it will probably catch others eyes as well. This practice has proved very profitable in my coin collection and taught me that patience is the best "limited edition".

Re: Collectors Preferences #22143 11/02/98 11:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, Rich, I am very please to see your post on the forum. You stay so quiet out there so much of the time, it's good to see you here. Anyway, I love your stories.

Your history gives another fascinating dimension to why people love lighthouses and why you are indeed an incurable HL sicky just like the rest of us. As you said, an illness that we hope isn't cureable. What better reason than to love lighthouses; they may have safed your life and the lifes of others you have come into contact with and having the HL's around is a great reminder of that.

Maybe St. John should create a forum just for you Rich. Let's see, it could be entitled Lighthouse Poetry - Lighthouse Experiences - Coast Guard Stories, shall I go on - now my name is Mudd with you - Right? You have such a wealth of stuff inside that mind of your's that I know is worth sharing.

Karen

PS - I haven't sent out your little goody from the reunion yet - I will. I promise. I guess I'll just have to add something else for being late.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22144 11/30/98 01:30 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
22 great responses!!!
My collection of HLs is now approaching 50 since August 1998. Lots of fun building it through R@R, Forum postings, dealers, and auctions.
Met many great people over the internet and in person. Only good experiences so far.
Highlight was meeting BY at a signing. Second was communicating with all the GREAT Forum contributors on the website.

Any more historys out there?

------------------
LoNgIsLaNd BoB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 11-30-98).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22145 03/15/99 01:08 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Well, I thought this topic was pretty helpful when I was a newbie. Now that I'm a Wacho, it's still fun to read.
I've noticed many new persons on the FORUM recently, so please Enter and Sign IN ORV, MOMBO, SIDD?

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-15-99).]

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22146 03/20/99 03:51 AM
O
orv Offline
O
Here's my story and I'm sticking to it. About 2 1/2 years ago we were wandering around the local mall and went in a gift shop that sells the HL's. We, meaning myself and Teresa (the S. O., likewife, best friend, etc). We were both immediately impressed with the quality of the pieces but didn't buy as we really are not the collecting type.

We never buy souvenirs when we are on vacation (no really). After noticing more lighthouses around we decided to pick up some lighthouse stuff. Initially we felt the HL's were a little pricey for noncollector types, so we came home with a Lefton Buffalo (which for a Lefton is really not to bad)with the little light in the top. We then picked up a couple of pictures and a Lefton Chicago Harbor(which then again for a Lefton etc.)

I kept looking at the Harbour Lights and felt like this is what I really wanted. For her birthday (I'll bet you guys have heard that before) I bought Teresa a Concord. Now this may sound odd but Concord was and still is one of my favorites. (Apparently now an opinion shared with the majority of HL collectors, but hey, to each his own.) I really like the pieces with texture to the towers.

I took the piece to a florist and had them create an arrangement around the Concord (yes I hear the collective groan from the wacko's) Actually it was real cute, I had them use plastic underneath it to protect the bottom, I wish I had a picture of it.

The little Concord hung out with the Leftons (putting them to shame) for quite some time. In the meantime as a present we got another Lefton, small Wind Point, and a no name Montauk. Last fall we went to a dealer and I kind of made a commitment to myself to start collecting HL's.

Although Teresa doesn't share my enthusiasm for the HL's she does show an interest and is going to buy a Navesink for us when I find one at a reasonable price. Also after discovering ebay and seeing what some of the older pieces sell for I was hooked.

I have no buying plan other than getting the ones that appeal to me aesthetically. Being from the midwest I have no great emotional connection to the real thing. I am more into them as a piece of art as opposed to a replica of a actual landmark.

It wouldn't bother me to see some pieces created simply from an artist imagination. A couple of years ago we were on vacation (cruise) and stopped in Key West. We walked from the downtown to the lighthouse (about a mile) to see it.

Now here's the odd part of the story, we just looked at it from the street(I do have a nice picture of it, took it with a disposable camera, quite the shutterbug I am)here's a link to it if you want to see it. I hope this works,

Every time I look at this picture I wish I could take it over. To the left and up, To the left and up. Everytime time I look at it that's what I think. It would have been a really nice shot if I had done that.

Oh, well I'll learn to take more than 1 shot (I hear the gallery now "This guy will never be a wacko. Goes to a famous light, doesn't go in, only takes 1 picture, what the he** is wrong with him) I guess I got off the subject but I think the point I was trying to make is that I appreciate the HL's as for what they are as opposed to what they represent.

Back to my story, for my birthday, Sept 98, I got a Cape Florida (which I requested) and I was starting to get hooked. For christmas Teresa's teachers (she is a elementary school principal) gave her a Cape Lookout, they were aware that she likes the Harbour Lights and a good choice I feel they made. We now had three and I became even more interested and started watching them on ebay and got the brilliant idea to go to some of the local dealers and see if they had any of the valuable pieces I was seeing on ebay (visions of sugarplums or at least big bucks were dancing in my head)

I wrote down some of the names of the more expensive ones and I came home with a real nice Tybee Signature Series. At this point I decided it was time to learn. Of course I do have a nice GLOW piece from it. I have since gained a little more knowledge and have made a couple of good buys for my personal collection and made a tidy profit on a couple of others that I don't necessarily care for but others do.

"KNOWLEDGE IS POWER" I realize there might come a time I wish I had kept them for my personal collection. I now have a Roosevelt Island, Currituck, Cockspur, Stonington, and La Jument. In layaway I have Baldhead & Pensacola. I also have a Hillsboro reserved. I'm on my way. One thing I like about HL's is that they are a more acceptable collectible for a male as opposed to let's say Barbie's or Hummels.

People sure look at me funny when I'm looking at the Barbie's at Walmart (don't laugh, do you have any idea what a Harley Davidson Barbie sells for) I do have a list of lights (not short) that I plan on getting. This is getting a little long but you asked for a story. I look forward to continuing to participate here and am enjoying the people that use this forum

------------------
ORV

To activate the image link and add some paragraph spacing...

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 03-20-99).]

ORV
Re: Collectors Preferences #22147 03/20/99 03:59 AM
O
orv Offline
O
Mean't to say "Apparently NOT an opinion shared by most HL collectors"

------------------
ORV

ORV
Re: Collectors Preferences #22148 03/20/99 11:56 AM
S
sidd Offline
S
My story is quite short as I have only started 3 months ago although my desire started a year prior. I never was a collector and nothing ever hit my fancy until I was getting a birthday present for my husband (he collect eagle porcelains) and I saw HL. I longed for them but never made the time for myself (these are not the kind of stores to take a 5 and 7 year old boy to). Finally taking my Christmas bonus I decided to do something for myself and I went in January and picked up Goat Island and Port Isablel. I had decided to do what I really enjoyed--and I have had the greatest time since.
Of course on my first purchases--I knew nothing!!! other than I liked them. I'm up to 28 HL and my strategies are simple so as not to take the fun from it. I buy what I like for looks and/or the retired ones at retail that are the hot ones.
I have control but my husband wants me to have all of them and at times I think he is becoming out of control. (ie. I sent him down to the store to pick up an HL that I had ordered and he came home with 4 more because he knew they were retired. I like to get one and savor it. So if anyone can give suggestions on how to tacfully put a rein on your spouse, let me know. His heart is in the right spot but....
And yes, I'm going to try my signature again so if it doesn't work--don't laugh

------------------
Sidd

OK--Laugh with me, surprise-it didn't work

[This message has been edited by sidd (edited 03-20-99).]

I swear the first time I checked it, it didn't work. Is someone playing games with me?

Sidd
Re: Collectors Preferences #22149 03/20/99 04:24 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry Bob, didn't realize you asked until now. My story's elsewhere in the forum in bits and pieces but will try to sumarize here. Became interested in lighthouses after watching Legendary Lighthouses on PBS. Not that I wasn't interested before, more interested, I guess would be more correct. First HL was Selkirk, Christmas gift. Now have 19, mostly LE's, some GLOWS. Collecting philosophy? 1. Have to like them. 2. Collect for personal enjoyment, future value secondary. 3. Retireds if (1.) and price is not unreasonable. Will probably never have any in the 5500 series but I don't get upset about it. If I'd discovered HL sooner..... Don't care what region I collect. Like to have some from each, different styles, colors. Think a variety makes a nice display. Have "collected" stuff for years but nothing costly. House has inherited antiques and "stuff", nothing too new. And now HLs. Was single parent for ages so got my "kicks" from rearranging all my old "stuff" instead of going in debt buying new furniture, etc. Now it's time for something nice, a little reward for all my frugality, hence the HLs. Finding one of the greatest benefits to collecting HLs is the interaction with fellow collectors.

End of story

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 03-20-99).]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22150 03/20/99 07:18 PM
S
sidd Offline
S
Mombo,
Don't give up on retired because you think they are out of your price range. Get on that internet girl. I found out the hard way that if you really want a piece, do a little leg work. Through the society and web searches, I found what dealers carry HL--but if you ask them for their inventory---this does not always reflect that 1 lone retiree that they have had in the display case. So don't give up--it's good for a weekend with nothing to do (and in speaking with dealers, the wealth of info would obtain is half the fun.)
Slowly warming up on a gusty 55 degree day here in Pa.

------------------
Sidd

Sidd
Re: Collectors Preferences #22151 03/20/99 09:45 PM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Mombo, Right now there are 14 lighthouses from the 5500 series in the Retired at Retail section of this site. There are many out there if you want them. And the hunt for the ones you need is part of the fun. Today the postman brought me a LE Marblehead. Thanks Sean one more time.
Jim
Johnson

Re: Collectors Preferences #22152 03/21/99 01:33 AM
S
Steve Offline
S
Even some of the 5,500 series that are more "rare" are available at some dealers. I have a Castle Hill on the way that I bought the other day. Prior to this, I had only seen one other Castle Hill at retail and would have bought it but it was broken.

Keep looking ... those deals are out there!!!

Re: Collectors Preferences #22153 03/22/99 04:18 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Sorry folks, guess maybe I mis-spoke up a ways when I said I'd probably never have any in the 5500 series. Acually "probably never" and "never" are not the same. Of the ones I've actually seen - guess I didn't like them enough to buy. Of the ones available that I haven't actually seen in person, it's difficult for me to decide whether to buy. Guess that's where the "effort, work" part comes in. How much effort, work, legwork, etc. I want to put into this as well as any other project seems to wax and wane. That's just the way I am, inconsistant. I've learned to live with it and am not unhappy with the state of my collection. I do sincerely appreciate all your advice,however, and appreciate the fact that we all have different goals.

------------------

Re: Collectors Preferences #22154 03/25/99 02:55 PM
S
Suzee Offline
S
I am a new collector and want to share my story with someone who can relate.

My department at a state educational institution has been charged to further development at a botantical garden. Create economic productivity through tourism and promote the general area. The property is located on a recreational lake with 4 1/2 miles of shore line on two penisula perfect for a lighthouse. While doing research on how to build a working lighthouse, I stumbled upon Harbour Lights. Then I discovered that we have a dealer in our city. After looking at them, I had to hold one ...well that did it! Call me HOOKED AND REEL ME IN!

For Christmas my husband got me the Lady Light series and my mother-in-law got me the society membership.
I now have a matched set/signed of the ladies and Great Lakes Stamps. Spring Break brought the 16 ornaments (so I can look at the big ones I will never be able to have), and I have accummulated 12 retired lights. No too bad for 3 months.

My pride and joy is a Hilton Head that I found at a flea market for $80. (#2056, box papers and everything perfect)

I want to get the retired Society pieces next. But if another flea market treasure pops up ... well what the heck ;-).

I am looking forward to visiting in the chat room and even am making plans for Rosemont. I think I may be becoming a junior WACKO (is that an acronym for something?)
Thanks for all the great information on this site. You have made a friend for life.
Now if I can just get to a real lighthouse, not many in the midwest and it is terribily closed minded of the coasts to keep these gems for themselves. lol
Suzee

[This message has been edited by Suzee (edited 03-25-99).]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22155 03/25/99 04:16 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Hi Suzee,
That's a great start and story.
Welcome to the club. But watch out (as you have observed), you are now 6 degrees away from being a Wacko!
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22156 03/28/99 03:54 PM
S
S Dalessandro Offline
S
A brief history of a wannabe wacho.

I became interested in lighthouses through photography. The camera club I was in back in '85 led several field trips around the North Shore of Massachusetts Bay. I also took several photo courses in the area that featured the seacoast. One trip took me to Annisquam Light near Gloucester. Other trips later on my own took me to Cape May and Cape Henry Lights. So I became infected.

My first HL however, came in '97 as a gift from my parents. That switched me from collecting Spoontiques. I joined the Collector's Society soon after.

My preferences are for 1)lighthouses in New England, 2)lighthouses I have visited, 3) any HL that strikes my fancy and that I can get my hands on.

Steve D.
Re: Collectors Preferences #22157 03/28/99 08:23 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Steve,

I guess we all start that way in this neck of the woods: lighthouses of New England, lighthouses we visited, and lighthouses that appeal to you. I started with Southeast Block Island in the summer of 1994. I didn't buy another until September of 1997 when I stumbled into John Chidester's site which is now the HL site. Now I'm missing only 9 of the regular LEs and the 2 NPLs.

I must warn you not to ever attend a HL Reunion. Once you attend one of those wonderful experiences you will be looking for them all. Harbour Lights are more than just a fantastic collectible, it can be a way of life. It's a great way to spend your time and money. Plus it gives you the chance to become a member of the HL Family of Friends. " From the Atlantic to the Pacific the HL friends are terrific!" (I apologize to Perry Como for almost stealing a line from one of his songs.)

Your neighbor to the south...

Re: Collectors Preferences #22158 03/28/99 09:46 PM
T
TURBO271 Offline
T
Started visiting lighthouses on Cape Cod in 1996 and taking photos along the way. Progressed to collecting a smaller collection of lighthouses and then in April of 1998 received HL209 Cape Florida as a gift. Since that point I have added to the HL collection, bought a large curio and continued to visit lighthouses by car, boat, etc. Next month is a trip to Sanibel Island,FL.

Re: Collectors Preferences #22159 03/29/99 02:42 AM
Art Offline
I guess it's about time to weigh in here.

The first time I saw Harbour Lights was in the summer of '94. My family and I were visiting family in NJ. On the way home we decided to drive down the coast, spend some time on the beach near Cape May, then take the ferry accross to Deleware before heading back west.

Now, my wife Mariann has always had this fascination with lighthouses. Not wacko, but she kinda liked them. She was drawn to a display in a gift shop, and we all followed her over to it. A St. Augustine LE caught my eye (anyone surprised?). I picked it up thinking of buying it for her, saw the retail price, and put it back down (Fool!!!!) Can you imagine? Well, we were a little low on cash after a week in D.C. and another in NJ. (Probably low on credit by that time too!)

A year or so later (finances back under control) I bought for her a Cape May. She was thrilled! And me? Well, these things are kind of nice.

So I decided that I would buy for her any of the NJ lights that I could locate for gift-giving occasions. Oh, and those from places we had visited, too. Like Key West. This strategy caused me to accumulate a diverse group of lighthouse brands. They were all displayed on the mantle. I'd look them all over periodically, but I kept picking up the Cape May, looking it over thoroughly, and enjoying every detail. Ya know, these things are really nice!

In early 1998 Mariann asked where I was buying these, and we took a trip to the retailer. She saw an Alcatraz GLOW that she had to have (right then!), so we bought it, and came home with a catalog to boot. That was trouble! So much for buying NJ lights and ones from areas we had visited. We wore out the catalog dreaming of which one to buy next.

I hit the internet and found John's site, as well as several others, and began to learn more about lighthouses and Harbour Lights than I ever imagined there was to know.

About this same time Mariann decided the next "must have" was Jupiter. I found one with edition number 073 and bought it. Paid more than retail for it, too. Had I gone mad? No, but heading toward wacko!

In October, 1998 we took a short family vacation that included a signing event. Actually, we took the vacation in order to attend the signing event. In three days we doubled the number of HLs we owned, and now the kids each had a Roosevelt Island signed by Bill of their very own, too.

Now we needed a real home for our modest collection, so we dropped a few bucks (about 15 HLs worth -- ouch) on a curio.

Finally having an appropriate dwelling place for it, we went out and bought an Assateague LE. What a nice piece!

Next thing you know, we're planning our annual Christmas pilgrimage to NJ (There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays, right Bob M?) by a different route, one designed to take us past a number of lighthouses including Assateague (and take three days instead of one!)

Read all the gory details here

We have since bought West Quoddy Head, Nauset Beach and SE Block Island LE at substantially over retail, plus many others at or near retail. Even bought a half dozen or so below retail, but boy do I wish I could go back now to that summer of '94 and pick up that St. Augustine at retail! It'll make ya wacko!

Now we no longer have any delusions about limiting our buying to certain geographic areas. We buy what we like. And the more we get into this, the more we like! We may never own them all. Probably won't. But we're already into multiple curios and talking about ripping out the wall between the living room and dining room and constructing a built-in wall of HLs complete with glass shelves, glass doors and xenon lighting. Should hold about 100 HLs. That should keep us going for a little while!

Along the way I've made a bunch of great friends, learned volumes, and discovered some great finds. My whole family is into lighthouses, HLs and history now. I'm having the time of my life.

------------------
-Art
[This message has been edited by Art (edited 03-28-99).]

-Art
Re: Collectors Preferences #22160 03/29/99 02:49 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Suzee,

Believe it or not there are probably more lights in the midwest that on either coast. (Havent't sat down and counted but if I'm wrong I doubt its by much.) Michigan alone has 116 (more than any other state by a long shot). Door County, WI has more lights than any other county in the US!

My story -

Have enjoyed lighthouses off and on, when I was near one I would view. Have known about HL for some time but didn't want to spend the $. When planning for vacation the summer of 97 I convinced my wife that we go with a lighthouse theme. Up the east coast of Michigan to Mackinaw City, and even spent a couple days in the UP.

Saw a bunch of lights starting with Fort Gratiot (and didn't even "know" St. John at that point). Saw every Lake Huron light that could be seen for shore, except Harbor Beach. (Didn't have a good guide book until just after that location, but am going back there Easter weekend to see that sucker.)

Saw HLs in stores along the way but was too busy spending $ on vacation. (I know that Paul and St. John is grimacing as they believes in spending as much on HL as on vacation.) One of the two local stores that carries HL has a coupon good one day in December good for 25% off anything. Somehow I convinced my wife that the Stamp Set would be a great Christmas present, especially at 25% off. Next purchase was Point Fermin from the same dealer. And even better, they remembered we were the ones who bought that set of 5 so they gave it to me for 25% off also!

Since then (12/97) I have acquired 30 HL. They are in several displays around the house and have some at the office. I have acquired a number of older LE's from "my" store, R@R and one with a tip from ORV.

I collect the ones I enjoy, have or expect to visit, or ones that really catch my eye. Lots of fun, lots of $ but hey, why not have the fun?!?

Keep the flame going,

Dave

Re: Collectors Preferences #22161 04/04/99 04:33 PM
T
Travis E. Elmore Offline
T
Oy vey...

At first, reading this thread was a little amusing, then slightly daunting, and now I have to confess a little depressing. But nobody's fault.

My wife, Sheila, and I bought our first lighthouse as a gift for a friend. It was the HL GLOW edition of Bolivar TX. We also bought a poster that showed all the locations of HL lighthouses to date. We really liked the piece, and kept strolling back by the Tinder Box store where we saw it. Started talking to the lady who ran the place and she told us about a couple of pieces coming in. At this point, we didn't even know the difference between GLOW and the LE versions. But we "reserved" a couple of pieces and decided we would pick up maybe a few here and there.

Yeah, right.

We picked up a catalog and our fate was sealed, we just didn't know it. Ok, maybe I did.... I found the HL website and located the retired@retail list. Observant readers will immediately notice that this story occurred after the old web site, which I never saw, had become www.harbourlights.com.

The two pieces we wanted came in, yep, you guessed it 1999 new releases, and we bought them. They had company in the sack on the way home with two other LE pieces. We'd started to figure this out. (I'd even checked to make sure that I hadn't accidently given away the LE version of Bolivar, and sighed in relief to know it was the GLOW.)

Since that day in January (yes, 1999), we have bought 13 pieces, joined the collectors society (for both the 98 and the 99 year to get both gifts and society exclusive pieces), located other pieces thanks to the society, and bought a color printer to make a "brain book" to carry with me to the office and out on any trips as a collectors reference. Oh yeah, like most of you also figured out, getting the older retired@retail pieces became a compelling priority. I found ten more and put them on layaway. Sheesh!

Now I read through this thread, discovered that we definitely fit into this "club", but that we are way behind the power curve. That's the depressing part. I actually thought I might be able to ask where I could find Jupiter FL, a piece I gotta have. Along with Marblehead, St Augustine, and, and, and.... But I know where there's a Split Rock (above retail). I thought it was too much at $101. But after reading the '94 tale where St Augustine was in hand and put back down, with poignant memories that lasted 5 years. I'm hoping like hell that it's still there! Oh, and of course there's no way I'm gonna tell anyone where it is!

So, sure, I can really expect any of the other zealots here to help me find Jupiter.

But I do look forward to meeting some of you at a signing sometime.

Til then, I guess we'll all just try to keep the lights on.

Cheers,
Travis

Light On!
Trav1
Re: Collectors Preferences #22162 04/04/99 04:59 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome to the club, Travis! Let the fun begin!

I have a Jupiter I'm not willing to part with, and currently I'm trying to find one for a friend as close to retail as possible. If I can find two Jupiters, I'll let you know. You just never know what you will find when you go Harbour Lights hunting. These pieces have a strange way of just popping on to the store shelves once in awhile.

Once again...welcome to the HL Family of Friends!

<<^>>

Re: Collectors Preferences #22163 04/14/99 12:15 AM
L
LuvLights2 Offline
L
I first learned about HL in a doll shop in PA. about a year and a half or two years ago(had no idea what would happen later). I had never collected anything before but always loved lighthouses since I've grown up 5 miles from Cape Henry light and spent alot of my teenage years around Cape Hatteras, Currituck and Bodie Island. I've just always been fascinated by the roles that these beacons have played, the history and hardships behind each and every one. For some strange reason I didn't buy any that day it wasn't until November of 1998 when oddly I recieved a catalog from Lighthouse Depot and saw them again that I bought my first. It was Cape Hatteras (GLOW). My collection started off slow, I still didn't know that I could drive up the road and buy them. Then my wife found some lighthouses in a local store, man what a dissapointment,they were Leftons. While Christmas shopping I walked the mall and found Harbour Lights in an Ingle's Nook. The rest is obvious. Since Christmas I'v e purchased 23 LE's, all but one are retired. One of which I'm proud to say is Jupiter, all of which are proudly displayed in my living room. Needless to say that some day I will own all of them. I really look forward to the day when I do....I think.

[This message has been edited by LuvLights2 (edited 04-13-99).]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22164 04/14/99 02:57 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>Since Christmas I've purchased 23 LE's, all but one are retired. ... Needless to say that some day I will own all of them.<<

Right on Brother Luv, the hobby needs more like you!

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: Collectors Preferences #22165 04/14/99 10:28 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Three words: "Buy them all!

Once you have them all you only have to spend enough to maintain your collection by buying new releases. Then you can have fun by looking for deals and passing that deal on to a new collector. Try it...it's fun!

Bob

Re: Collectors Preferences #22166 04/14/99 10:54 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
I first learned about HL in a doll shop in PA. about a year and a half or two years ago (had no idea what would happen later). I had never collected anything before.

Perhaps the Surgeon General's office should be working on a special label for Harbour Lights boxes.

Quote:
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that Collecting Harbour Lights can be hazardous to your wealth. Stopping collecting, even at an advanced age can help your wealth and sanity. If you have reached the 'WACKO' state of addiction, you may need special help to kick the habit. Call 1-888-IM-WACKO.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 04-14-99).]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22167 04/14/99 01:36 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
John, love your warning. In '93 we saw our first HLs on a trip to Michigan for Christmas. Little did I know that my sisters had Umpqua for my birthday (that particular one is usually celebrated in black). Al bought me Portland Head on the way home. Over the next couple of years I collected them (never, never collected anything before) for birthdays, Christmas, etc. Then on vacation in Maine, we found out about the Assateague mold breaking. Found #74 on the way home. That really got Al interested. Shortly after that we got the list of dealers and began collecting any and all we could find. Know that we saw a Coquille back in the very beginning and could kick ourselves now. We keep telling our dealer (who has become a great friend) that we need to quit this madness (needed your warning, John), but here we are. We began with ones we've seen and now just get them as they come. Love every single one! May not be "wacko" on here, but you should see our home!

Kathy

Re: Collectors Preferences #22168 04/16/99 12:52 PM
B
BobNShirl Offline
B
I have found reading all these replies quite interesting. I'm new to alot of this internet "stuff" and fairly new to Harbour Lights collecting. My wife saw Cape Henry advertised in one of her collector magazines in early '97 and thought it would make a nice anniversary gift as that is the first lighthouse we had visited together. In her search for it (no one in our area had gotten delivery of it yet) she came across a small gift shop that was discontinuing carrying HL. They offered my wife a "really good deal" on any pieces that she may need for her collection. When my wife explained that she didn't have a collection and why she had inquired about Cape Henry, the dealer offered to get her collection off to a good start. To make a long story short my wife ended up purchasing 32 HL pieces at approximately 1/3 the issue cost. I continue to get these as birthday, Christmas, and any other occasion that we can justify a gift. I never know which one she will give me next. As we have learned more and more about HL thanks to soo many helpful people we have come to realize that her purchase was even more valuable than we first thought. Not only monitarily but HL is now an "our" collection and a family venture as well. There were duplicate pieces from that original gift shop which my brother purchased for his wife. We now do the"lighthouse thing" together and inform each other of any discoveries. My job involves travel and I always search out any dealers in the areas I travel. Have been able to purchase several for us as well as my brother. We now have about 95 lighthouses with 89 of them being LEs. Of these, we have all the Society pieces and except for the very first one, all the event and Christmas pieces. Last year we expanded the collection to include the ornaments and light ships and now have all but the first set of ornaments and have all the light ships from Anchor Bay. We joined the collector's society that same year (97) and have enjoyed meeting Bill and Nancy and email communication with Kim. Absolutely delightful people. We search for bargains and have found many good and reasonable prices through the internet and this site. Unfortunately my budget has not allowed me to take advantage of everything that I have found. I feel that we have just scratched the surface on the enjoyment and increased interest that this hobby and the people involved with it have brought us. We now plan vacations around visiting lighthouses. We try to get every lighthouse that we've visited, then ones that strike our fancy, ones we think will be more valuable someday, and then really any good deal that we come across. We do try to get the lowest numbers but that isn't necessarily a priority.
We look forward to meeting more of you collectors out there in the future.

[This message has been edited by BobNShirl (edited 04-16-99).]

Re: Collectors Preferences #22169 04/16/99 03:39 PM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
BobNShirl
Great Story especially since this was your first posting.
Welcome to the Forum, you'll enjoy the sharing of info and friendship here.
Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22170 10/20/99 09:54 AM
rscroope Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
With all the recently new Forum users, I thought I'd bring this one back for their information and comment.

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Collectors Preferences #22171 10/20/99 10:54 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
Thanks Bob for bring it back up! It will be continued in the second part which you can reach by going here:
Collectors Preferences Part Two

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,425 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users