Print Thread
It's all Johns fault #22060 01/11/99 07:51 PM
F
FredKuhl Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
F
This message is aimed at new participants to this forum. It's too late for the rest of us! If you want to retain your sanity, leave this board NOW and NEVER return.

Lou and I started collecting Harbour Lights in 1991 and bought one of each issue number. We are avid collectors. We belong to eight Collectors Clubs and collect a few other lines that we do not belong to the club because we're either not that interested or a club doesn't exist.

A few years after retirement, I decided it was time to get rid of the old dinosaur and get a modern computer. If you have a decent computer you HAVE to get on the Internet. Taking advantage of the 30 day free trial on AOL, I started surfing, looking for collectible boards and websites. I found the HL board, which was the only decent one to be found (thanks to John C. and a few others who were knowledgeable and dedicated). There I started learning about, revisions, variations, and other features (goofs) of Harbour Lights.

Of course, I also joined in the chat room and met other collectors fingertip to fingertip (keyboard to keyboard?). Then Steve Case got greedy and ruined the Bulletin Board. But, St. John came to the rescue and opened the Forum. Bringing in a whole new groug of collectors.

About this time, I discovered that I was no longer an avid collector but an addict. Then today I was looking at this Forum and my own postings and came to the conclusion that I am also a "Wacko".

St. John quit leading us down the Primrose Path and return us to the "Dark Ages" where we were just collectors and not having the fun and enjoyment that we have today. Lighthouse are for the overcast and foggy days not for bright lights, sunshine and laughter.

An addicted collector turned wacko!
the Ancient Mariner (who should be old enough to know better)

Re: It's all Johns fault #22061 01/11/99 08:57 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
You're an honest man "Ancient Mariner." You think you have a problem? Take two thumbnails and see me in the morning.

Doc HoL A. Day

Re: It's all Johns fault #22062 01/12/99 02:24 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Fred, I'm new at collecting HL's and don't know how many I'll actually buy but am enjoying reading all the posts by you wackos! Can't imagine where you all get the money to buy so many! Do you eat and wear clothes, drive a car, pay taxes? I collect other stuff too that doesn't cost so much. Mostly what I collect is dust - it just keeps coming and you can't beat the price!

Re: It's all Johns fault #22063 01/12/99 11:28 AM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Lou and I started collecting Harbour Lights in 1991 and bought one of each issue number. We are avid collectors. We belong to eight Collectors Clubs...

...A few years after retirement, I decided it was time to get rid of the old dinosaur and get a modern computer

I was confused by this sentence at first. I thought you traded Lou ("the old dinosaur") for a modern computer. That quickly passed as, having met you and Lou, I know that YOU'RE the old dinosaur, Fred!

Quote:
About this time, I discovered that I was no longer an avid collector but an addict. Then today I.. ...came to the conclusion that I am also a "Wacko".

Recognition of the addiction is the first step to a cure Fred. Unfortunately, there is no cure once you reach WACKO status. LOL

0 :>) Saint John of the Internet

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-12-99).]

Re: It's all Johns fault #22064 01/14/99 01:05 AM
D
Dea Offline
D
I agree with Mombo. I am also a new collector and wish I could have them all, but wonder where everyone else gets the money! Do you have to have an "illegal" methods of bringing in big money? Although, I have to admit, I got my first HL at Christmas (3 actually) and now I have 6! OOPS! I am on the Forum everyday - so "Hello, My name is Dea and I am an HL addict!"

Re: It's all Johns fault #22065 01/14/99 01:16 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
Hi Dea...Welcome to Harbour Lights Anonymous. There is no cure, but we really don't care...only the inmates here running the asylum.

Never mind Fred, he's always wondering around mumbling things to his CH1 he bought at retail...argh!

-RodW
[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 01-13-99).]

Re: It's all Johns fault #22066 01/14/99 04:45 AM
P
Polly Offline
P
Hey Dea,

Welcome & watch out! Three HLs for Christmas hmmmmmm, that's a $180 - $300 a day (minimum) "habit". Not to mention you double your HL on one holiday. So, will it be 12 by Valentines Day and 24 by Easter . . . think about it! I've been collecting of less than a year and have 2 very full curios. Be very careful or you could end up like other those real wackos on the forum. If you need help let me know, I like to believe I have it under control.

As for the money aspect, I believe it is Master Card's responsibility to take care of that. Hey, they made the card that bought the lighthouses, just picked them out.

Hi, my name is Polly and . . .

Re: It's all Johns fault #22067 01/14/99 01:58 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Welcome to our world Dea! I am sure you will find collecting Harbour Lights a very rewarding experience.

This web site and the information obtainable within will be a tremendous help to you. It is also very entertaining! Everyone here is always willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!

-Todd (Wacko Welcome Wagon, refreshments available inside)

Re: It's all Johns fault #22068 01/14/99 11:50 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Welcome Dea! Don't get too hung up on all the complexities in some of these posts, especially Tim's!

Tim, I followed your parts 1 and 2 but 3???

Check out the HL chat tonight and you'll see a complete change in their personalities!

Seriously, there's a lot of interesting stuff here and everyone's very friendly.

Have been thinking that maybe the best method for new collectors like us is to forget about buying the already retireds and concentrate on buying the newer pieces as they will, of course, retire also. Then we can compare the worth of our collecions with Tim's Part 53???

Under the "What to do for this Christmas" thread there was discussion on "re-makes", whatever, of existing LE's. Don't think this should be done. Just move on to some of the rest of the lighthouses. Their impact,history, can be every bit as interesting as the "famous" lighthouses that have been produced to date. To own a model of them would be unique.

Re: It's all Johns fault #22069 01/15/99 01:13 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>forget about buying the already retireds and concentrate on buying the newer pieces as they will, of course, retire also.<<

Forget about those silly charts, follow this track and you won't need my help for a long long time. :*D

Rgds,
__
/im

Re: It's all Johns fault #22070 01/16/99 04:00 PM
D
Dea Offline
D
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE WELCOMES! I could not join in on the Chat Thurs. due to I have a basketball team I coach. I wish I could have been there. I will try to join in Wed. Thanks for all the advice. I have had plenty of questions, but just reading all of the forum answers most of them.
I wish I could have some of the retired ones, but I have your philosophy, MOMBO, the ones I have will retire eventually. I wish the LE's were lower in number so they would be worth more, but if it was lower I might not find any.
QUESTION - How do you get a store to carry the HL line? There are several around, but none very close that I could just stop but occasionally (every other day). Do they have to call HL or how does that work?
Thanks and I glad to be in the "family"!
You guys crack me up sometimes, my husband thinks I am crazy when I laugh out loud reading the computer! Little does he know!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dea (edited 01-17-99).]

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,414 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users