Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What glue to use? #21951 09/15/07 11:13 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
What is the best glue to use to make minor repairs when you have the piece that broke off? If you recommend "super glue" how much time do you have to align the broken piece back to its original position before the glue sets and you can no longer adjust the pieces position?

I purchased two valuable older pieces with slight damage. The piece that broke off came with it.

confused Bob confused

Re: What glue to use? #21952 09/15/07 01:02 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I've repaired a few HL's and Super Glue works great.

Stan M
New Jersey Lighthouse Lovers
------------------------------------
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: What glue to use? #21953 09/15/07 03:59 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bob - I personally like the Brand Name "Instant Krazy Glue" that comes in 4 little individual use tubes packaged inside a clear plastic container. You can buy them just about anywhere(I get mine at our local Publix Supermarket) and the individual tubes can be used again or thrown away after a one time use. Most of the time you can't reuse any super glue once it's opened because it becomes hard in the tube so why buy the big tubes. The Krazy Glue sets up the fastest and you don't have to coat both sides of the break. Just make sure that you have the piece positioned right because once you set the piece in place you have only about 2-3 seconds to make a final position. Just put a light layer on the piece that you are bonding to and then place the broken piece on the bonded area. Good luck!

Rich
Re: What glue to use? #21954 09/15/07 09:22 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Leave it to Rich, the man is a genious!!!

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: What glue to use? #21955 09/15/07 10:08 PM
flacoastie Offline
Saint
Saint
Bert - You need to tell my wife that, especially when it come to me driving her car.

Rich
Re: What glue to use? #21956 09/15/07 11:07 PM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I buy my Super Glue in a package of 4 tubes. They are reuseable and don't get hard unless the cap is not put on right.

Works great !!!

Stan M
Harry Wishlist: Tinicum Rear Range, Miah Maull Shoal, Finns Point, Bergen Point, Cross Ledge, Old Ambrose Lightstation, Romer Shoal, Barnegat Lightship, Liberty Lightship.
Re: What glue to use? #21957 09/17/07 12:30 AM
J
Jazzer Offline
J
Bob,

I would be carefull in using fast drying super glue on older HL's depending on year and country of MFG. If made in California or Canada the raw exposed material is very porus. Fast drying super glue is not a good gap filler and will dry over the surface of the porus material. This type of drying action will draw air from within the material causing that white residue,crazing, and poossible discoloration that can often be seen in using crazy glue. If you can, I would test a small amount on like material. If you are working with the very porus material of California or Canada try using a gap filling crazy glue. There are several grades for a variety of applications and materials. Another good glue would be weldbound dilluted or full strength in very small amounts and no, Weldbond is not the same as Elmer's . I have been a model railroader for years and have a wide range of experiance in using glues on all types of materials. Email me for more info if you wish.

Lonnie

Lonnie
Re: What glue to use? #21958 09/25/07 10:23 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Thanks for the tips on "glue" to fix damaged HL's. I have a few new additions to my collection that need some minor repairs. Purchasing a few damaged pieces wasn't my original intent but I consider it a challenge to see if I can repair them so they will be suitable for dispay.

The price was right in all cases and I feel I may be rescuing them from being lost forever. "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Special thanks to Henry for his input via email. It was appreciated. We have many helpful and knowledgeable people in our group here at the CF.

smile Bob smile

Re: What glue to use? #21959 09/25/07 10:57 AM
Lighthouse Loon Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have now repaired a few HL's now. None of which I expected to have to repair.

They included my Liberty Enlighting the World, Avery Point, Coquille(Glow), Bass Harbor, and Ludington Pier. There might be one or two more I forgot.

Some needed Super Glue, some needed modeling clay, and some needed paint.

All look great now. smile

Stan M

Moderated by  JJ 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,471 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users